"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #21541
Chef Extraordinaire

not even vinnie barbarino?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #21542
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my favorite movies...

Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #21543
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
One of my favorite movies...
Lost count of how many times I have seen it. As a kid, Poo and his friend knew the whole movie by heart! Including all the moves to the dances and other parts.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #21544
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
YEA! That is wonderful! And no, you are not a sexual deviant. I watched a great show on PBS awhile back on the DNA associated with homosexuality. BTW, homosexuality strengthens the family tree. If it wasn't on PBS, the show was on TVO. There's the evolutionary justification for homosexuality.

I wish my brother could come out to our parents, but I understand why he doesn't. Our dad is 83 and has very fixed prejudices about homosexuals (and our mother has dementia and probably wouldn't understand--but maybe she would). I'm just glad my brother came out to me--even though I knew before he finally did. I love him to the moon and back. Nothing would have ever changed that. It hurt me that he thought he couldn't come out to me. But then, I think he thought that being that we are Scandinavian, he didn't have to come out to me, I'd catch on eventually. Or, maybe he's hoping I'll break the news to our Dad. Not going to happen. I don't want to cause either of them pain--our Dad's reaction would hurt my brother, and I don't want him hurt. Dad's too old to hope for him to change and have an open mind (he uses the "q" word). Glad you are going to be able to make those important decisions, but hope that those days are far in the future, bakechef. I also hope that your MIL will accept that you are the most important person in her son's life and with you, he is happy and complete.
Thank you so much for the kind words and sharing with us the love that you have for your brother. I just wish that everyone had the capacity to love without conditions.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #21545
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

At drag bingo in Pittsburgh, so much fun, and no I'm not in drag!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:43 AM   #21546
Master Chef

Recovering. After 12 apples, five pounds, two hours of peeling (I was watching TV and like my fingers), six hours of simmering, two (or three - lost count) of cooling in the sun room, and scrapping the crock, this is all I got:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-11 22.27.45.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	22008   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-12 01.33.05.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	22009  

Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #21547
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I am just about to go to bed.

But this evening a very odd thing happened.

For the first time in about 9 years, I got asked out on a date!

I said yes (of course), and I have met the guy before - about 2 years ago at my dad's funeral. (Romantic huh?)

So we are going out on Saturday evening.
Jolly good. Are you going out for a meal? DC will require an essay.

(Grandma Henri speaks) Remember, you don't have to "sing for your supper" as my grandmother once delicately put it (unless you want to, of course ) Or as a friend used to say when we were poorly paid young probationer teachers, "Go out with anyone who'll feed you, just be picky about who you stay in with" which, when we stopped laughing we decided was good advice.

Seriously though - Have a good time.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #21548
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Recovering. After 12 apples, five pounds, two hours of peeling (I was watching TV and like my fingers), six hours of simmering, two (or three - lost count) of cooling in the sun room, and scrapping the crock, this is all I got:
Crikey! It would have been more economical in time and fuel to buy the stuff ready made!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #21549
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I had a de-cluttering day today too, and am happy with how much I got done. Well, at least in the 3 bedrooms. Once I got going, I was on a roll! Three boxes of stuff are in the trunk of the car for the Salvation Army. The kitchen is cleaned up from dinner, laundry is done, I'm tired, and ready to settle in and find a good movie.

I was awakened at 4:30 this morning by a mild earthquake (3.7), not a biggie but enough to rattle the windows and shake my bed a bit. I laid there listening to the rumble deep in the earth and waited for it to stop, then went ahead and got up since I was awake.
De-cluttering is all very well but I can guarantee that the minute I declutter something that I haven't laid eyes on for 10 years, I will instantly need it!

This is probably not the time to tell you that I have 32 coffee mugs in my kitchen cupboard!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #21550
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks, Addie. I was just feeling wistful about the scooters I enjoyed in the past. Now it really isn't feasible because I wouldn't be able to take my cart with me, plus I don't have the space to store a scooter.
I've changed my way of shopping to buy enough to get me through the month. I like havingk. a variety of foods to choose from. I may try to get a scooter later if my legs don't improve with the medication I'm taking. I'd love to be able to get to the library. It's not far and would help cut down my books costs. I read constantly, usually 4 or 5 books a week.
Just an idea (or two) if it's any help.

My neighbour has a lightweight mobility scooter which folds up and goes in the boot (trunk?) of the car. Stores in a corner or a cupboard when it isn't going out. I've also seen a lady in the village with a small trailer thing for shopping, etc., attached to the back of her mobility scooter. No point in me asking them about suppliers as we're overseas, sorry