"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #21551
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I prefer the Salvation Army over Goodwill. The only problem is that neither one will do pickup anymore. That makes it hard to donate good, still usable objects. We have a SA in the town over. They have been there for years. You used to be able to leave your donations there. Not anymore. Now they want you to leave it at the center up on the Route #1. So if you don't have a car, you are out of luck and they lose. Over to the dumpster they go.

We don't have a Goodwill anywhere near us.
OOps, I always thought "goodwill" was a collective term for charity shops. I didn't know it was a business.

Charity shops are missing out badly when they don't collect.

The "Sally Anne" (Salvation Army) here do a lot of setting up of homes of the homeless which requires furniture but they will only accept brand new stuff donated by shops and manufacturers. They say it is wrong to expect people to live with other people's cast offs however poor they are!

Hmm! My house is furnished with other people's cast off furniture (aunt, grandmother, great grandmothers and even GREAT GREAT grandmother!) I originally received it with gratitude when I needed furniture for my first apartment and didn't have much money but I've always loved it- especially the chairs (c1860) that were rescued from a de-cluttering bonfire in the 1960s - and never felt the need to "modernise". All I've ever bought new since have been a sofa (in a style to tone with my "antiques") and a bed.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #21552
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Crikey! It would have been more economical in time and fuel to buy the stuff ready made!
MC, it would if good apple butter were more widely available to me where we live now. Those in the grocery stores have sugar added. It's too sweet! The smaller jar (8.5 ounces, U.S.) is from a gift shop just under 20 miles from our house. They charge $3.95 last time I bought it a few years back. We try to get it when we're back home in Ohio. The grocery store there carries it since the company that makes it is about an hour away from them. That's where we can get one of those larger jars for the same $3.95 price. It's an 18 ounce jar.

It was a bit of work to peel apples, but the 5 pounds cost me $5 with apples running 99 cents a pound. The crock pot doesn't use much power, so considering I made the equivalent of 5 of those smaller jars, somehow I think I didn't spend near to $20 for my home made beauties.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #21553
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Went to the Fiesta factory today. They had their tent sale this weekend but still had a lot left. They had AMAZING deals on less than perfect Fiestaware most at least 75% off our more. What a great day, got lots of pieces to compliment existing dinnerware and other Fiesta that I already have. I got 8 or 10 pieces for $35!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #21554
Executive Chef

somehow, despite my age, i entirely missed out on the fiesta craze! no one in my family, nor any of my friends growing up and later, owned or displayed fiesta ware in their homes. all i know about fiesta is that is comes in vivid colors and has a distinctive classic/modern style. would someone kindly fill me in on its history and the reason for its enormous popularity? how is it different from corelle, for instance, what is it made of, and why does it cost so much?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #21555
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
somehow, despite my age, i entirely missed out on the fiesta craze! no one in my family, nor any of my friends growing up and later, owned or displayed fiesta ware in their homes. all i know about fiesta is that is comes in vivid colors and has a distinctive classic/modern style. would someone kindly fill me in on its history and the reason for its enormous popularity? how is it different from corelle, for instance, what is it made of, and why does it cost so much?
It's a long history, Vit...for your reading pleasure: Fiesta (dinnerware) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #21556
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Went to the Fiesta factory today...
I did not realize they had moved their discount store. Or maybe they had a second location along I-70 in Ohio. I remember driving from MA to Columbus in the early 2000s, stopping at the outlet and having a fun time getting a few items cheap. Glad to hear you were able to pick up some bargains.

Also, too bad you hadn't posted this about 4 months ago. When we went to the Pittsburgh area for a family funeral, we drove pretty much along the route that this location is near on our way to Canton. Dang, I could have shopped! Or not...Himself was driving.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 AM   #21557
Certified Cake Maniac

I'm trying to catch up here and at the same time ignore Violet who is trying desperately to not beg for some cheese I have while really wanting it. I am trying not to laugh as I can see from the corner of my eye that she is looking all sad eyes. But when I turn towards her she closes her eyes as if she is a sleep. She is such a character!

Dad used to feed her and Joie a little bit of cheese every afternoon as he had it with his beer. He would give them a couple of small bites then rub his hands together and then palms out saying "no more" and they would retreat to wherever they were playing or sleeping! This has become our signal when they beg - hand signals and "no more" or "sorry".

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #21558
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I did not realize they had moved their discount store. Or maybe they had a second location along I-70 in Ohio. I remember driving from MA to Columbus in the early 2000s, stopping at the outlet and having a fun time getting a few items cheap. Glad to hear you were able to pick up some bargains.

Also, too bad you hadn't posted this about 4 months ago. When we went to the Pittsburgh area for a family funeral, we drove pretty much along the route that this location is near on our way to Canton. Dang, I could have shopped! Or not...Himself was driving.
Oh too bad, you would have loved it! This is their original store attached to the factory where it is made, they even give tours, but we didn't do that. They have awesome deals on seconds every day, but this weekend they had even deeper discounts outside. It was so much fun!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #21559
Head Chef

Question

I saw mum's medical notes (at the foot of her bed in the ward) and, just as I started to read them I was told not to by a nurse. I knew this was not allowed by never ascertained the reason. The only one given was that it was their "policy" which brings me closer to knowing/respecting why. (I am one of those that likes to understand a rule if I am to respect it). The ridiculous thing being I was told that the doctor would be informing me what was in the notes later....so...??

Incidentally, whilst the pinning of her hip bone operation was a success, they discovered she has a blocked valve (inoperable and her age) and so I was tactfully told today that it was "unlikely that she will be leaving hospital".
Old 10-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #21560
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So sorry to hear this, Creative. We will keep you and your mum in our thoughts and hope for the best.