"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #21761
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just finished making a little goodie for my best friend of over 60 years. She sews; has since she was a little girl. I swear the thing she uses as a pin cushion must have belonged to Neanderthal Man. It's some sort of canning jar lid, stuffed with something or other and taped around the perimeter to keep the fabric covering the stuffing from spilling out. It's quite primitive and, nor surprising, worn.

I've been kicking around an idea for one for her for a while so I headed out to my studio and put it together. Turned out better than I'd envisioned.

Total cost was 25 cents because I bought the cup and saucer at a local thrift store. Everything else came from my "stash," even the tatted doily on the bottom. It had some tears and breaks in it so using it this way allows her to enjoy it but not have to baby it. She loves things with tatting on them, old china and old buttons so it fits her fairly well. For a little more interest, I added an old thimble and an old-fashioned needle threader and some colorful pins.

What's the verdict?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	22161   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	22162  

Old 11-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #21762
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I just finished making a little goodie for my best friend of over 60 years. She sews; has since she was a little girl. I swear the thing she uses as a pin cushion must have belonged to Neanderthal Man. It's some sort of canning jar lid, stuffed with something or other and taped around the perimeter to keep the fabric covering the stuffing from spilling out. It's quite primitive and, nor surprising, worn.

I've been kicking around an idea for one for her for a while so I headed out to my studio and put it together. Turned out better than I'd envisioned.

Total cost was 25 cents because I bought the cup and saucer at a local thrift store. Everything else came from my "stash," even the tatted doily on the bottom. It had some tears and breaks in it so using it this way allows her to enjoy it but not have to baby it. She loves things with tatting on them, old china and old buttons so it fits her fairly well. For a little more interest, I added an old thimble and an old-fashioned needle threader and some colorful pins.

What's the verdict?
So cute, Katie! Maybe you or some other DCer can answer a kinda-sorta related question: I'm thinking of doing a cross-stitch as a Christmas gift. I've never tried it -- would you happen to know if there is a learning curve or can a complete beginner turn out a decent item? TIA.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #21763
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Cross stitch is very easy, I even taught DH how to do it. Start with a simple pattern.

Super cute pin cushion, Katie!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #21764
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
So cute, Katie! Maybe you or some other DCer can answer a kinda-sorta related question: I'm thinking of doing a cross-stitch as a Christmas gift. I've never tried it -- would you happen to know if there is a learning curve or can a complete beginner turn out a decent item? TIA.
No. It's as easy as pie. No learning curve at all, unless not doing it is considered a learning curve.

I love it. It's quick, easy and, when you put it down, you don't have to remember what row/round you are on. Plus, it's very portable so it can be done anywhere.

Go for it. It's fun.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #21765
Master Chef

That's really cute Katie, I love it.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #21766
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

What's the verdict?
Absolutely sweet and beautiful, as well as practical and thoughtful.

Brilliant, Katie!
Old 11-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #21767
Master Chef

Katie, I love that pincushion! You could probably sell them at a gift shop.

It's halftime in the Buckeyes/Spartans game. Our Bucks are up by seven! Sure hope OSU wins. See you later when the game is over.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #21768
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Katie, I love that pincushion! You could probably sell them at a gift shop.
I suppose I could but I retired 5 years ago and I enjoy "playing" and creating without any pressure.

Thanks for your praise.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #21769
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Several years ago DH bought a shower chair at a flea market. He said he was going to use it for fishing. He never did, but when I had my heart surgery we put it to good use. I was very glad we had it. By the time I came home from the hospital, he had removed the shower head and replaced it with one that you could detach and use as a hand held. I sat on the little shower chair and he bathed me, then rinsed me off with the hand held shower head. Very sweet. He also attached a bar on the tub that helped me get on and off the toilet. Since that time, he added some grab bars...one going horizontally above the soap dish and the other one vertically where I step out of the shower. It does make me feel much safer. I friend recently got a concussion when she slipped in the shower.
Carol, does the hand held one rest on a slide bar?

Moen 3867 Four Function Massaging Handshower with Slide Bar, Chrome - Hand Held Showerheads - Amazon.com

There are cheap ones and very expensive ones. This one has four spray adjustments like mine does.

Spike installed one of these for me when I first moved in. It can be adjusted for tall or short folks. I love it. It attaches to the pipe where the shower head was originally. Way up by the ceiling. When maintenance saw it, they decided to install these anytime there was a request. The also liked the grab bar placed just outside the tub. I can hold on to it when stepping out.

Our toilets are low and for me it is easy to get up. At least my feet touch the floor when sitting.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #21770
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I suppose I could but I retired 5 years ago and I enjoy "playing" and creating without any pressure.

Thanks for your praise.
Katie, I went to the church fair today. You would be surprised at the pin cushions I saw there. And all made from scraps. I still have one that I bought there more than ten years ago. They all cost just one dollar, but every year they are a sell out. And all the money goes to the ministry activities of the church. They only cost $1.50 each.

Today, I bought two autumn theme kitchen towels for my grandson. It is a housewarming gift and will be useful for their first holiday meal with company in their new home. They don't match their kitchen theme, but that was not my intention. It goes with the Thanksgiving theme. And they both had hand stitching on the end with the fold over flap and button. The two of them cost me the grand sum of $5.00.

« Petty Vents | - »