"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #21781
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Just finished up a video chat with Rob, this is my last night out of town for a work trip, have been gone for 9 days and can't wait to be home and in my own bed. Rob came to visit this weekend and it was great. The hotel has been very comfortable, but there is nothing like home!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #21782
Master Chef

We're hitting the road! Come Friday we'll be enjoying our view of the Gulf. Looks like we're getting out of Dodge just in time - cold front moving in on Friday. It's just a little too early for the 20's for me.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #21783
Head Chef

Just removed about a dozen tiny, unripe hard figs from my fig tree. Had not a single ripe fig this year. Not sure if it was a lack of watering (I had been away a lot) or lack of wasp pollination that is needed for them to fruit. (The flowers are inside the figs). There is said to be a decline in wasps....
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #21784
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
It's been a busy day for me. First, the doctor for my annual review and getting my prescriptions renewed for the next six months. Blood tests to see how some of the meds have been working.

Then, it was off to Walmart to pickup new prescriptions and some printer ink I was completely out of.

I made it home with cab fare, a few groceries, and 98¢ left in the bank!

I'm taking it easy and having some dinner.

The 98¢ isn't a problem. I have books on order and some new reading glasses. Other than that, I have everything else I need. If not, I'll make do.
Many years ago I opened an overdraft protection account. Fortunately I have never reached my limit of credit. But with each year that we get an increase in our SS, I find that I need that line of credit less and less. My needs has decreased as the years go by also. I don't want anything that has to be dusted. And any clothing I may need, I wait until Mother's Day, my birthday and Christmas. Then I let my kids get what I need. My food needs are covered by food stamps. And even then I don't use it all. I usually have a couple of dollars left over to carry over to the next month. So all in all, I am holding my own. But I have been where you are right now. And like you said, you make do. Fortunately my kids are all close by and can help me out if necessary.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #21785
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We're hitting the road! Come Friday we'll be enjoying our view of the Gulf. Looks like we're getting out of Dodge just in time - cold front moving in on Friday. It's just a little too early for the 20's for me.
Have a great time, safe travel and keep us all updated.
A class presentation with photos included would be nice once you're home and settled
Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #21786
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
One to watch over you and Himself.

Safe traveling and enjoy your vacation. And to think you left me behind. Some friend!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #21787
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Cross stitch is very easy, I even taught DH how to do it. Start with a simple pattern.

Super cute pin cushion, Katie!
They do have kits for beginners. Such as the following. Two stitches. Cross stitch and outline stitch. Two of the easiest stitches there are.

Dimensions® Stamped Cross Stitch Kit, Dolphin Delight

So simple, even kids can do it. And these kits come with the thread.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #21788
Certified Pretend Chef

I just finished taking apart my understudy turkey. I have a meal of chicken thighs and two breast halves in the freezer for next year some time. The bones, drumstick, wings and other parts are in the oven roasting for a stock. All is cleaned up and sanitized.

I love the smell of bleach in the morning. (OK it's afternoon.)
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #21789
Chef Extraordinaire

I went to get up today and I thought my hip was broken. It is just a lot, LOT of pain. The new pain meds are not working so I took two Vicodin. I can walk sideways, but not put one foot in front of the other. Moving seems to lessen the pain. So I cleaned the bathroom floor, let Rosie out of her corner to vacuum and have been keeping myself busy with little chores.

I really need to make something for supper tonight. I didn't eat yesterday or the day before. When I am in pain, I have no appetite. And The Pirate will be here to check on me, so it would be nice to have something for him after working all day. I have a freezer full so there is no need to go hungry. And it is not good for me to skip eating.

I have had the TV on just one channel all day. I think I have seen enough of animal doctors. So I have been watching westerns. Much more interesting. I have to laugh at The Pirate. Anytime I have a medical program, he starts heaving. Can't stand the sight of blood. And I love blood and gore.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #21790
Master Chef

Thanks for the angel Addie. He was busy on our drive through D.C.

K-girl, I'll see what I can do about pics.

And don't you all worry about tinlizzie and her cross stitch. I'm giving her a personal lesson next week. :-)