"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #21801
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I always use turkey stock to make my rice, well now brown rice thanks to the diabetes. It tastes fabulous!
It's amazing what a difference stock can make to a dish. And even better when you use it in a food you are not fond of.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #21802
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

CG, Spike has been following the placements of where the teams stand. He mentioned that Buckeyes were usually not in the running for anything. I told him that we have a member from Cleveland and he did say that she has something to celebrate and look forward to.
Addie, maybe Spike said that the BROWNS were not usually in the running. Those Ohio State Buckeyes are a great team! They are usually in one of the four big bowl games each year, often playing for a national championship. Now about those hapless Browns... *sigh*

Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #21803
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just threw a bag of rinsed dried black beans along with lots of onion, garlic, couple of packs of Sazon, some chicken broth and water and some chili powder in the crockpot. Have a hankering for refried beans.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #21804
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Just threw a bag of rinsed dried black beans along with lots of onion, garlic, couple of packs of Sazon, some chicken broth and water and some chili powder in the crockpot. Have a hankering for refried beans.
Oh, yum...that sounds good. I prefer black beans for refried beans, too. If I'm in a hurry I just open a can of black beans, drain them, pour them in a skillet with a little chicken broth, jalapenos, and onions and use my potato masher to mash them a bit. But I always have store bought refried beans in the pantry just in case.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #21805
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh, yum...that sounds good. I prefer black beans for refried beans, too. If I'm in a hurry I just open a can of black beans, drain them, pour them in a skillet with a little chicken broth, jalapenos, and onions and use my potato masher to mash them a bit. But I always have store bought refried beans in the pantry just in case.

That was my intent, Cheryl, but when I looked in the turntable, I found I was out of canned black beans! Oh, the humanity!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #21806
Master Chef

Holy cow....I've been crazy busy the past 2 days. Got a lot done, though.

As I was getting down totes of holiday decorations from the garage shelves, dust and dirt came flying at me. Over the past couple of days I've taken down all the totes and brushed all the layers of dirt from the shelving units, swept the rest of the garage and tossed a bunch of stuff, boxed up clothes, books, and other stuff from the house I no longer need and took them to the thrift shop, bought and boxed up foods and delivered to the food bank, washed the car, made and froze my turkey stock for Thanksgiving gravy and stuffing, and I can't even think of what else now. Whew.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #21807
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That was my intent, Cheryl, but when I looked in the turntable, I found I was out of canned black beans! Oh, the humanity!

Slow cooked will be good, though!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #21808
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Holy cow....I've been crazy busy the past 2 days. Got a lot done, though.

As I was getting down totes of holiday decorations from the garage shelves, dust and dirt came flying at me. Over the past couple of days I've taken down all the totes and brushed all the layers of dirt from the shelving units, swept the rest of the garage and tossed a bunch of stuff, boxed up clothes, books, and other stuff from the house I no longer need and took them to the thrift shop, bought and boxed up foods and delivered to the food bank, washed the car, made and froze my turkey stock for Thanksgiving gravy and stuffing, and I can't even think of what else now. Whew.

So when do you get to my house?? I'll have refried black beans ready!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #21809
Master Chef

Sounds good to me, Dawg!

I don't know why I choose this time of year to do all this stuff, but I always do...guess I'm reverse nesting or something. Or maybe because the weather is so perfectly in-between cold and hot. That's more likely.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #21810
Master Chef

I'm sitting on our screened balcony (3rd floor) listening to the crashing surf, sipping wine, and enjoying the moment.