"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #21951
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Making up my cheapo cleaning solutions. Spray bottle filled with 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 white vinegar, and 1/3 water cleans my laminate floors and just about anything else. I also figured why not make my own handwipes for travel? I rolled up a bunch of Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels on a skewer, pulled them off the skewer, cut them in half width-wise while they were still rolled up, and mixed up a solution of bottled lime juice and rubbing alcohol in a ziplock. Put the two half rolls in the solution. Not too much liquid. We'll bring the zippy wipes along on travels to clean tray tables and chair arms, etc. A lot cheaper than the purchased wetwipes!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #21952
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Well done Dawgluver...I prefer home made methods to shop bought chemical cleaning products. People used more natural methods to do many of these jobs before we got more industrialised.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #21953
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Making up my cheapo cleaning solutions. Spray bottle filled with 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 white vinegar, and 1/3 water cleans my laminate floors and just about anything else. I also figured why not make my own handwipes for travel? I rolled up a bunch of Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels on a skewer, pulled them off the skewer, cut them in half width-wise while they were still rolled up, and mixed up a solution of bottled lime juice and rubbing alcohol in a ziplock. Put the two half rolls in the solution. Not too much liquid. We'll bring the zippy wipes along on travels to clean tray tables and chair arms, etc. A lot cheaper than the purchased wetwipes!
DL, could you share the 'recipe' for your wipes as well?
I do like to wipe things down when ever we stay in a hotel, and of course a million and one other applications for disinfecting wipes.
Since getting DH to use wipes he hasn't had a cold or the Flu, knock wood!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #21954
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
DL, could you share the 'recipe' for your wipes as well?

I do like to wipe things down when ever we stay in a hotel, and of course a million and one other applications for disinfecting wipes.

Since getting DH to use wipes he hasn't had a cold or the Flu, knock wood!

Sure! I just put a couple T of bottled lime juice and about 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol in a zippy, mooshed it around, and dropped in my two mini paper towel rolls. It was a mite too juicy, so I squeezed them out a bit and put them back in the bag. The select-a-size cut in half makes a nice 4x4 inch square, perfect for travel. You can leave out the lime juice, or use lavendar oil, tea tree oil, or anything else that smells good.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #21955
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm waiting for my hamburger onion pie to be done. I'm hungry!!!

I bought some varigated yarn matching my living room's color scheme. It's mostly cream and beige with a tiny touch of turquoise.

When I got home from shopping, I tossed it into my company chair, and just admired how close the colors were.

Now I just have to figure out what to make.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #21956
Head Chef

COCKTAIL HOUR!
Three buck Chuck for moi and Coffee with Bailey's (really want to try the new flavor, Chocolate Cherry) for Mr. K~Couple; some lightly salted whole almonds, red table grapes and some cheese (Grana Padano for him and Manchego for "the girl" as I am loving referred to)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #21957
Head Chef

Quote:
Sure! I just put a couple T of bottled lime juice and about 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol in a zippy, mooshed it around, and dropped in my two mini paper towel rolls. It was a mite too juicy, so I squeezed them out a bit and put them back in the bag. The select-a-size cut in half makes a nice 4x4 inch square, perfect for travel. You can leave out the lime juice, or use lavendar oil, tea tree oil, or anything else that smells good.
how rude of me, I meant to say Mahalo
Old 12-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #21958
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
how rude of me, I meant to say Mahalo

This cracked me up, K-girl!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #21959
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Love this idea! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #21960
Chef Extraordinaire

I have got to remember to buy a large bottle of alcohol. I need it for medical reason as well as for cleaning. I always have it on my list, and I just don't get to the store. I need to buy it while I can get to Rite Aid before we have a major snow storm. Then the scooter goes into winter retirement.