"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #21971
Executive Chef

Addie, I wonder if it's the breed? My Maltese won't play with toys either. We had a Shih Tzu who loved stuffed toys that played music, squeaked, and he could slam a Slammer on the floor! We thought that it was because of prior abuse/neglect that our Maltese won't play, but now that I hear that Teddy won't do it either, I'm thinking it's the breed.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #21972
Executive Chef

I wrote my own obituary and have it on my computer. DH would have no idea who my parents were or some other things. He no longer has to worry about naming my siblings as they have all passed away before me. I should probably pre-arrange my funeral, too, because he will have no clue there, either.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #21973
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I wrote my own obituary and have it on my computer. DH would have no idea who my parents were or some other things. He no longer has to worry about naming my siblings as they have all passed away before me. I should probably pre-arrange my funeral, too, because he will have no clue there, either.
I've been thinking seriously about getting my funeral plans out of the way.

Maybe that will be my birthday present this year!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #21974
Master Chef

Grandson is with us this weekend and we are going to go shopping for his mom's Christmas gift. I think he wants to get her one of those nice soft and warm blanket throws. I am all done with my Christmas shopping. Now to start wrapping. I had 20 to buy for so it will take me a while.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #21975
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I've been thinking seriously about getting my funeral plans out of the way.

Maybe that will be my birthday present this year!
CarolPa and Aunt Bea, sounds like a thoughtful thing to do. There is so much to do even when there isn't a lot of assets involved--the paperwork (here it is common to get 12 or more death certificates), filing the final tax return, canceling the passport, insurance, etc., etc., etc. Taking care of funeral plans is a nice gift to leave those you leave behind, IMO.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #21976
Head Chef

Wink

We are having a snowball 'fight' on another forum!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #21977
Chef Extraordinaire

Trying to get excited about snowblowing the driveway...
Old 12-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #21978
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, I wonder if it's the breed? My Maltese won't play with toys either. We had a Shih Tzu who loved stuffed toys that played music, squeaked, and he could slam a Slammer on the floor! We thought that it was because of prior abuse/neglect that our Maltese won't play, but now that I hear that Teddy won't do it either, I'm thinking it's the breed.
That sounds plausible to me. Does he like to stick by your side all the time? He does that with Spike. He follows him all around the house. And when Spike is getting ready to leave and he can't go with him, he just drops his head and looks so sad. And when he is up here, he is either right next to the chair Spike is sitting on, or up on my bed wanting me to hold him. He has to have that human contact all the time. Teddy won't even chase a ball rolling across the floor. He also hates to go into water. Spike takes him to the beach almost every day in the summer. He refuses to go in the water. No matter how hot it is.

BTW, Spike got Teddy when he was eight weeks old right from the breeder. So there is no possible prior abuse there to consider.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #21979
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Trying to get excited about snowblowing the driveway...
Just think of breathing in all that nice crisp fresh air. Give my love to the chickens when you go to feed them.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #21980
Executive Chef

Addie, our Maltese likes to sit on the chair or couch right smack up against your leg. He is obsessed over DH, just like Teddy is with Spike. He follows him everywhere he goes, to the point that he gets annoying. If we go out, we leave through the cellar door. He lays right by the cellar door until we come back. Does the same thing if DH goes down to the cellar for something. A couple years ago DH didn't feel well. I took him to the ER and they admitted him. When I came home without him, Pupper just ran around barking because DH wasn't home. When I locked up the house and turned off the lights, he did the same thing, giving me the oddest look. Finally he realized that DH wasn't coming home and he got into his bed and went to sleep.

We got Pupper when he was 5 years old. His owner had died, and her husband was also in poor health. The man was in the hospital so much the last year and someone was going to the house to feed the dog, but he was not getting any socialization. When the man finally passed away, his sister was trying to find a home for the dog and we took him. He was terrible. Bared his teeth and snapped at everyone. DH was retired and was with him 24/7 so he eventually warmed up. He no longer bares his teeth, but still snaps at some people.