What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only if you get a bite.

And you will never feel the sharp, tiny teeth of a bat bite you while you are sleeping.

That's why it's recommended, Vit. Because a large amount of bats are rabid, it's not normal for them to be indoors in your living quarters (not jjust an attic), and you would never know you were bitten.

pacanis said:
And you will never feel the sharp, tiny teeth of a bat bite you while you are sleeping.

That's why it's recommended, Vit. Because a large amount of bats are rabid, it's not normal for them to be indoors in your living quarters (not jjust an attic), and you would never know you were bitten.

I'm thinking if Vit was awake while she was bat bashing, she should be OK. Bats screw up too. I hadn't heard about the automatic rabies shot thing, Pac.

I remember, years ago, while tending bar at a restaurant with a very high ceiling, a poor little bat accidently got in. The weapon of choice was a tennis racquet. Watching the waiters scream like little girls was pretty funny. The bat finally got bonked.

Last edited:
We had a bat in our home this summer. How in the world he got in is still a mystery. I know they can squeeze in a very small opening. Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

A friend recently had a bat encounter. She lives on the 2nd floor of a building, the screen in the window where her cat likes to sit had fallen out, it was a very warm night and the window had been left open for ventilation. Sometime that evening after my friend had retired early, a bat must have entered thru the window only to be greeted by the waiting cat. Dear friend was awakened by the frantic squeaks of the bat, which the cat had securely in her mouth. My friend who happens to sleep au natural was running around the house sans a stitch trying to get the cat to drop the bat, she finally did, but then what was she going to do? The bat was still very much alive, she finally managed to corner it in the bathroom where she covered it with the waste basket. She then spent the next several sleepless hours googling about rabies and trying to figure out how to get rid of the bat. She opened the bathroom window quickly kicked the basket over with a broom handle and closed the door pronto! She called Public Health in the morning and was told that she would need the rabies vaccine because the bat had been in her home and might have bitten her in her sleep. They also said that rabies is deadly and once that you have it your chances of surveying are nil. She agonized over this for several days ( the cat had recently had it's rabies shot, so she was the only one in imminent danger). She really felt that there was no chance that she had been bitten and ultimately decided not to get the vaccine. It is scary to think that you might not know that you have been bitten. But I also tend to think that a bat would need provocation to bite. This was a long story, but since everything turned out okay, it was funny to picture my friend running around nude chasing a bat with a broom!

the reason you put bat boxes in a field away from homes is so they have a place to go, away from scary people.

like you guys!!! lol. bunch o' nutcases.
:LOL:
maybe i should teach them how to build an apiary, and how to inject an ei-pen, just to cover all bases...

when i was a kid, my cousins and i would go to the ballfields just after dusk and shoot cherry bombs into the air with sling shots. bats would dive in on the airborne intruder, and if it went off at the right time, the concussion would knock a bat out of the sky stunning it. we'd run over and look at it with flashlights, poking it with sticks.

until it came to and took off, as the saying goes, like a bat out of hell, as we all fell back or scrambled away in terror.

lol. then we'd do it again..

ROFL, Somebunny!

Nekkid bat bashing!

image-3459626908.png

I didn't know what all the droppings were from on our little deck, till I looked up. Bad pic, cute bat.

Last edited:
bats squeak? i wouldn't have rescued the bat--not once i realized i would be left, nude and vulnerable, to deal with a live, injured, frantic, flying beast. nope, the cat would have kept her catch. that was an XTREME rescue by your friend, imo. great story though....:)

i wonder why so many bats are rabid? anyone know?

Last edited:
the reason you put bat boxes in a field away from homes is so they have a place to go, away from scary people.

like you guys!!! lol. bunch o' nutcases.
:LOL:
maybe i should teach them how to build an apiary, and how to inject an ei-pen, just to cover all bases...

when i was a kid, my cousins and i would go to the ballfields just after dusk and shoot cherry bombs into the air with sling shots. bats would dive in on the airborne intruder, and if it went off at the right time, the concussion would knock a bat out of the sky stunning it. we'd run over and look at it with flashlights, poking it with sticks.

until it came to and took off, as the saying goes, like a bat out of hell, as we all fell back or scrambled away in terror.

lol. then we'd do it again..

so, this building of the bat houses, is this some form of retribution on your part, bt? for your youthful transgressions?

That's a heckuva story, Somebunny.
Your friend did the right thing by leaving the room. They will find their way out on their own. They have a harder time with you trying to herd them out.

how do you happen to be so knowledgeable about bats and their habits, pac?

When I'm not out fighting crime I spend my time in the bat cave reading up on them. ;)

By keeping up with rabies info I end up reading a lot about bats.

Heading down to NY to pick up auto parts and groceries. The ball joints on the van are shot--the only ones we could find in Canada are made in China. Reviews say that once installed, you can't get the front end aligned. So, we are picking up the parts that were made in Ohio--twice the price, but at least the front end will align and a someone in the US made them so has/had a job (well, the parts were shipped last week, so hopefully the person was still working!) I anticipate it will take 2 days to get the new units installed. Nothing on this vehicle is easy--note to self--check how easy it is to do "home" auto repairs before buying the next vehicle. And, never buy a vehicle with an automatic transmission or "special" sized tires again.

Last edited:
When I'm not out fighting crime I spend my time in the bat cave reading up on them. ;)

You can get a rabies vac shot--I think it is a series of 3, painful, but the titer shows it lasts a long time (10-12 years).

You can get a rabies vac shot--I think it is a series of 3, painful, but the titer shows it lasts a long time (10-12 years).

If I ever thought I was exposed to rabies I would go through the post exposure treatment. At $350 a pop (the last I knew) they are too pricey to get one as a preventative. Unless I was a bat wrangler :LOL:

fighting crime, spreading guano, providing homes for our ever-growing population of rabid, homeless bats--where do i sign up?:)

I'm sitting here sipping a Chai Tea Latte and wondering where to begin to tackle the day.

We are going to a surprise birthday party for my BFF and I just realized I forgot to take the chicken wings out to thaw so I can marinade and cook them before we go. I have her present to wrap, cookie dough that needs to be made up today, some errands to run (taking back the tree topper we bought as the flashing colour lights are driving us a little crazy) and getting my hair cut.

Looking out the window at the grey day and nursing my sore hip and throat, I would much rather curl up in front of our fake tree, watching our fake fireplace (on the TV but it is so real!) with my very real pups and DH watching a movie.

Back
Top Bottom