"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #22041
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm about to do my one stop Christmas shopping at the bank. Some brand new crisp bills makes everyone happy and the cards are the wrapping. Those gifts are never returned. My one year old Cheyenne (GD) will have gifts to open though.

Good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #22042
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have been mentioning to the kids how I have been wanting a bread machine for the longest time. The Pirate mentioned right back that the average person who has one doesn't even know where their machine is today. They use them a few times and then forget about them. Also, because they make such a big loaf, the bread goes stale in one day since there are no preservatives in the recipe.

I guess he is right. I can make just one loaf by hand and know it till be gone in one day. There is a machine that make a one pound loaf, but it is just too expensive.
You can get them really inexpensively at thrift shops. At the master gardeners' open garden and yard sale, I bought two bread machine cookbooks *and* a bread machine for $3.

You can slice the bread and freeze it, and you can make many different kinds of bread and rolls. I use it to make yeast dinner rolls, French bread baguettes and rolls, cinnamon-raisin bread, etc. You don't have to eat it all. People love gifts of homemade bread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #22043
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm about to do my one stop Christmas shopping at the bank. Some brand new crisp bills makes everyone happy and the cards are the wrapping. Those gifts are never returned. My one year old Cheyenne (GD) will have gifts to open though.
I do that and if the people on my list don't cross my path by the Epiphany the money goes back into the general fund!
Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #22044
Chef Extraordinaire

Does anyone know of a dip for chestnuts? I have always eaten then right from the oven with just a little salt. It seem to me that they are crying out for something else.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #22045
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Does anyone know of a dip for chestnuts? I have always eaten then right from the oven with just a little salt. It seem to me that they are crying out for something else.
Without the salt, roasted chestnuts sound like they might go well with hot melted chocolate e.g. fondue.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #22046
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Without the salt, roasted chestnuts sound like they might go well with hot melted chocolate e.g. fondue.
Thank you. That does sound so right. Who else would come forth with a perfect answer but a member from Charles Dickens's Christmas, England.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #22047
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Katie, DH just mentioned that I never use my bread machine anymore. I don't even know where it is! I think it's because of my diabetes. Bread is my weakness, but it really raises my blood sugar. But I do long to smell the bread processing in the machine.
My bread machine is one of my most used and favorite tools. I have had it since 1999 and have used it only once or twice to actually make bread in it as the manufacturer recommends. It is my "helper" for doing the kneading and for the first rise of the dough. In fact, many, many years ago I spoke with one of the resident bakers at King Arthur Flour about using the machine in this way. She told me that a bread machine does a much more thorough job of kneading that the human hands can.

I have arthritis in both my hands and a number of years ago I discovered that kneading even for a few minutes just kills my hands. Enter my good friend, the bread machine. I used to enjoy the rhythm and solitude of the kneading process but "Arthur(itis)" saw fit to rob me of that.

I use it a minimum of once per week and have since the beginning. I even have a second one, slightly smaller but the same maker, that I use during the holidays when I often have both of them whirring away at the same time.

The first one was purchased during a Black Friday sale for me by a friend of mine while I was recuperating from major surgery. It was a great price and I was glad because I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd use the thing. The second one I bought at a thrift store for $3.00 because I discovered that having an additional one would be helpful...and it is immensely so.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #22048
Chef Extraordinaire

Since my sister died, I don't get out to thrift stores anymore. I sure miss her. And it is definitely something my daughter would never enjoy doing with me. So I don't even bother to ask her. If and whenever The Pirate gets a car, I know he would be more than willing to take me. But I am not holding my breath on that happening. In the summer our local newspaper carries a full page of yard and garage sales. The Pirate is as passionate about them as I am.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #22049
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
There was a lady in my hometown named Dot, she made the best divinity that I've ever eaten, I'm not sure what she did to it, but it was perfect! My mom used to bring me some when she'd come to visit. Dot was always excited to make a batch just for me! I also to this day use her sugar cookie recipe, that lady was a wiz in the kitchen.
My Mom used to roll the divinity out flat on powdered sugar and spread peanut butter on it; then roll it up and slice into pinwheel pieces. I don't remember whether there was any sugar added to the peanut butter, but everybody loved it. I've never been able to make divinity like she did. It's just as well -- I manage to eat too much sugar without it. Oh, those heady days before we knew the awful truth about refined sugar.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #22050
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
My Mom used to roll the divinity out flat on powdered sugar and spread peanut butter on it; then roll it up and slice into pinwheel pieces. I don't remember whether there was any sugar added to the peanut butter, but everybody loved it. I've never been able to make divinity like she did. It's just as well -- I manage to eat too much sugar without it. Oh, those heady days before we knew the awful truth about refined sugar.
That sounds delicious!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote