"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #22261
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I finally know what is setting off these bouts of not sleeping. I have neuropathy in the leg where I had a very large skin graft placed. In the middle of the night my leg will start acting up and my sleep gets interrupted. I end up having to get up, take 8 mgs. of gabapentin and stand until it kicks in. That can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. By then I am wide awake and am off to a round of not sleeping at nights for a week or even longer. Before you know it, I am in a vicious cycle. Up for 24 hours or longer, sleep around the clock or longer. Drives me crazy. I am now getting smarter in scheduling my medical appointments.

I try to make them for the afternoon. But this is not always possible. My cardio only sees patients in the morning, and my cardio vascular doctor has afternoon patients. If I didn't have so many medical appointments, it wouldn't bother me. One good thing that all this crazy weather is doing, is making it impossible to keep any appointments. All appointments have been cancelled until further notice. Yea! It gives me time to deal with this crazy problem. I can't even make it to Winthrop. Just too much dang snow. Vehicles can barely get in and out of our driveway. There is just no place to put anymore snow. So while they work on that problem, I will work on mine.
Helpful hint with the Gabapentin, you should take it every night before bed, not wait until your leg gets twitchy. Avoid the problem, don't wait until it happens, that's why it takes so long for it to work and you lose sleep.

Mom swore gabapentin didn't work very well for her, she was only taking it when her pain was a 7 or 8 out of 10, once she started taking it regularly it worked wonders, her pain never got over a 5 out of ten. If this is a benefit to you and scheduling it works, tell your doctor and get a regular prescription instead of an as needed.

As for Insomnia, it is more common in women and tied to hormonal cycles, then completely goes nuts once we hit menopause.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #22262
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I love my Gabapentin. I found that it works best when I take them 3 X day. The nervous legs and itchy feet are caused by too many carbs. If I don't eat any, I can actually skip a pill or two, but when I do take in carbs, it's best to stay ahead of the game.

If you wait until the twichiness starts, it can be hard to get ahead of it.

Use your Gaby! Regular use will save you so much aggravation and frustration.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #22263
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I love my Gabapentin. I found that it works best when I take them 3 X day. The nervous legs and itchy feet are caused by too many carbs. If I don't eat any, I can actually skip a pill or two, but when I do take in carbs, it's best to stay ahead of the game.

If you wait until the twichiness starts, it can be hard to get ahead of it.

Use your Gaby! Regular use will save you so much aggravation and frustration.
The most I have ever been prescribed was 64 mgs. a day. Little by little I was brought down to 8 mgs a day. I recently was increased to 16 mgs a day. And it does make a difference. I have already taken my morning ones. Almost time for the noon dose.

That little trick you told us about taking pills by tucking your head down has made taking those capsules so much easier. I don't even know I swallowed them. Thank you so much PF.

My doctor keeps asking me if I have any neuropathy in my feet due to the diabetes. Nope. But I sure have it in my leg from the wound and graft. I was horrified when I first looked it up and saw it was for seizures. I don't have seizures. Then thinking on it, I sure do. Just watch what my leg can do if I don't take that gabapentin. I can dance a one legged jig in my sound sleep.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #22264
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
I took gabapentin for shingles after the need for narcotics was gone. It helped. Once the pain became manageable I quit taking it. The DR wanted DH to take it for his shingles but he wouldn't take it because it was for seizures. He thought it would CAUSE seizures. He takes very little meds other than his BP pills.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #22265
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I took gabapentin for shingles after the need for narcotics was gone. It helped. Once the pain became manageable I quit taking it. The DR wanted DH to take it for his shingles but he wouldn't take it because it was for seizures. He thought it would CAUSE seizures. He takes very little meds other than his BP pills.
The pain from shingles is similar to that of a seizure, just like my leg pain. It is intense at first, then calms down just like any part of the body would do in having a seizure. Then it comes back and repeats. Just like a seizure would do. But it certainly doesn't mean you are having a seizure. It is the pain that is having the seizure.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #22266
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The most I have ever been prescribed was 64 mgs. a day. Little by little I was brought down to 8 mgs a day. I recently was increased to 16 mgs a day. And it does make a difference. I have already taken my morning ones. Almost time for the noon dose.

That little trick you told us about taking pills by tucking your head down has made taking those capsules so much easier. I don't even know I swallowed them. Thank you so much PF.

My doctor keeps asking me if I have any neuropathy in my feet due to the diabetes. Nope. But I sure have it in my leg from the wound and graft. I was horrified when I first looked it up and saw it was for seizures. I don't have seizures. Then thinking on it, I sure do. Just watch what my leg can do if I don't take that gabapentin. I can dance a one legged jig in my sound sleep.
Your doctor must be child dosing you, because the normal dosage is 100-300 mg three times a day, (for 300-900 mg total in a day).

Saw an ad for nurses at Winthrop...long commute for me
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #22267
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Your doctor must be child dosing you, because the normal dosage is 100-300 mg three times a day, (for 300-900 mg total in a day).

Saw an ad for nurses at Winthrop...long commute for me
Great place to work if you are desperate for a job with the elderly and most of them in advance Alzheimer's. They do have a lot of patients that go there each day for day care and some only a couple of days a week. And then there are those like me that go once a month for a vitals check. If I have recently been to the hospital for any reason, I have to report in to Winthrop when I am released. It is a super great program for the elderly. But for patients like me, it can be invasive at times. They have finally taken my word that if I feel that anything is wrong, I will let them know immediately and call for transportation to take me to Winthrop. I am one of the very few patients that do not need all of their services.

My doctor does have to keep in mind that I am a lot shorter than a lot of kids. And with my recent weight loss also has to be kept in mind. I was 160 pounds when all of this started. I am now 125 lbs. 4'7" and 125 is just about child size and weight.

At one time I had to have my BP meds drastically reduced because the doctor in the hospital didn't take any of the info into consideration. Dang near killed me when I kept passing out right after I would take my BP meds. My BP would plummet. Fortunately I was in the hospital for a pre-op workup when it once happened. The last words I heard were "Do we have a crash cart?"
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #22268
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
PF, I have to say one thing for Winthrop. In the eight years I have been going there, I have NEVER seen any of the aides or nurses lose their patience with any of the patients. They have never raised their voice or treated them roughly. Every patient there is treated as if it were their very own mother or father. When Alzheimer patients reach the violent stage, they are immediately removed from the community and placed in the section for just them. I once had one slap me really hard across the face. My first reaction was to slap her back, but I knew better. I just called for one of the nurses and off she went. Behind locked doors. Never to be seen again.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #22269
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Great place to work if you are desperate for a job with the elderly and most of them in advance Alzheimer's. They do have a lot of patients that go there each day for day care and some only a couple of days a week. And then there are those like me that go once a month for a vitals check. If I have recently been to the hospital for any reason, I have to report in to Winthrop when I am released. It is a super great program for the elderly. But for patients like me, it can be invasive at times. They have finally taken my word that if I feel that anything is wrong, I will let them know immediately and call for transportation to take me to Winthrop. I am one of the very few patients that do not need all of their services.

My doctor does have to keep in mind that I am a lot shorter than a lot of kids. And with my recent weight loss also has to be kept in mind. I was 160 pounds when all of this started. I am now 125 lbs. 4'7" and 125 is just about child size and weight.

At one time I had to have my BP meds drastically reduced because the doctor in the hospital didn't take any of the info into consideration. Dang near killed me when I kept passing out right after I would take my BP meds. My BP would plummet. Fortunately I was in the hospital for a pre-op workup when it once happened. The last words I heard were "Do we have a crash cart?"
That's why I responded as I did, I knew that your smaller size would make a difference from normal dosing.

Winthrop is on the wrong side of the Mississippi...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #22270
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Just went out and got the mail. My new full body snorkel skin arrived, or so I thought. The package felt really light, so I was pleased, thinking it would pack really well. Got inside to find the whole top edge of the padded envelope was ripped, and there was NOTHING inside! Called the post office just in case there was a wetsuit lying on the floor there, nope. Called the company, they're sending me another one, and filing a claim with USPS. Turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.