"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #22271
Master Chef

What rotten scoundrels, Dawg! Any chance you could put Beagle on guard duty? The crook could use a new ankle decoration.

Glad to hear you shouldn't have any trouble getting what you paid for. Nothing sadder than buying something, only to find out you're stuck with the cost of someone else's deed.

I'm cruising the web, stalling until it's time for my weekly Tom Selleck fix. Hope I can stay awake during "Blue Bloods". So far I've logged two morning I wake up at 6:30 AM, way too early for someone who goes to be between 3-4. Ended up falling asleep today a little after 9. Didn't want to get out of bed - I had done that yesterday, back and forth from hall to bedroom, finally going to the kitchen for a cuppa and a few graham crackers. Himself was sleeping lightly and heard my every move. Fingers crossed, we'll both sleep good tonight.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #22272
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Sheesh, CG. This cold has lasted waaayy too long! Hope you and Himself get to feeling better soon, and that you can get some sleep!

Beagle is a lover, and is totally worthless as a guard dog. I'm not sure if the envelope with my wetsuit got caught on something that ripped it open, or if someone was looking for CC receipts. Or a new wetsuit. It apparently happened in transit from CA.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #22273
Master Chef

Thanks, Dawg. Colds like me. And I never get enough rest to begin with, so they hang on even longer. Himself just started with this about three days ago or so. Have no idea why they stay with him so long since he gets enough rest for the both of us.

If I wake up during the night and stay awake, I'm heading downstairs. If I make tea again I'll be sure to "season" it with a liberal amount of whiskey.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #22274
Certified Pretend Chef

With temps in the single digits, SO and I went out to clear off our cars and move them so the plow can clear our parking spaces. Sadly, my battery was dead so SO had to give me a jump start. Then I rode around a bit to recharge the battery and warm up.

Now I'm enjoying a nice warm bowl of maple cinnamon oatmeal and a hot cup of coffee.

I have to go to a wake later for our property manager's mom.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #22275
Executive Chef

Wonder why it's called a wake. It's not because they wake!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #22276
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Wonder why it's called a wake. It's not because they wake!
In this sense "wake" comes from the Old English word meaning "to watch over" or "to guard" and refers to the old tradition of keeping a vigil over the corpse the night before the burial and praying for the soul of the departed (and possibly to fend off evil spirits)

Nothing to do with waiting to see if the dead person wakes up.

(You can take the woman out of teaching but you can't take teaching out of the woman!)
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #22277
Executive Chef

Thank you Mad Cook for the explaination! Now, can anyone tell me what a "rampart" is?
Old 02-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #22278
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Thank you Mad Cook for the explaination! Now, can anyone tell me what a "rampart" is?
It is the top of a wall in a military base where they shoot cannons and other large firearms from. Usually a wall surrounding the base. It is mainly a defensive wall for protecting those inside. There is usually a walkway at the top with cutouts for the armaments. Soldiers walk across the top and keep an eye out for invaders.

We have a couple of forts in Boston. They both have ramparts as they are located right on the water. The one out at George's Island was used during the Civil War for holding prisoners. During WWII for it was put back into military use for holding German prisoners. They also used the island as a focal point to find German subs right off shore of Boston. It has quite a history. I used to take my kids out there all summer long. You do have to take the Island ferry to get out and back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges...rgesisland.JPG
Old 02-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #22279
Master Chef

I'm sitting here this morning waiting for the phone to ring. My little Cheyenne (15 mo. old GD) is having surgery right now for her crossed eyes. My stomach is in knots thinking of her under general anesthesia. I don't dare go take a shower, so here I sit waiting for the phone to ring. I better get busy with something near the phone.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #22280
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm sitting here this morning waiting for the phone to ring. My little Cheyenne (15 mo. old GD) is having surgery right now for her crossed eyes. My stomach is in knots thinking of her under general anesthesia. I don't dare go take a shower, so here I sit waiting for the phone to ring. I better get busy with something near the phone.
She is going to be fine. In fact you may not get a call until mother and child are home. So be patient. She is just barely put to sleep. And only to keep her still. They don't like to paralyze patients that small. Here eye has been numbed and she will have no pain when she wakes up. But she may be dang sleepy when they bring her out of it.

Go get some knitting or hand sewing while you wait.