"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #22291
Executive Chef

Cooking Goddess, we live very near to Fort Necessity, but neither of us have ever been there. It's a shame.

Kayelle, I'm glad to hear that Cheyenne is doing well! My son was a first-time dad at 43. He had a child and heart surgery the same year!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #22292
Head Chef

Well I was going to repot my hanging baskets but that turned into a more demanding/creative project. On turning out the soil (to mix it with water gel), the outer casing of the basket disintegrated with age. All I was left with was a wire frame effectively (the inner coating of plastic needed replacing too). I was going to ditch it when I remembered I had some nice floral fabric (old shirt) in the shed.

So I set to creating new hanging basket covers and insides! Found some sturdy plastic to line the inside with and am now covering the outside with the fabric. Of course the fabric won't last forever but it will do for now. I wanted to see what it would look like first (just pinned) and am pleased with the result.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #22293
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Cooking Goddess, we live very near to Fort Necessity, but neither of us have ever been there. It's a shame.
Make it a point to go there this year come springtime. Tell yourselves that it is the start of this years vacation. Then when you are walking around, you can be planning where you want to go for the rest of your vacation.

We also have a Fort in South Boston at Castle Island. I haven't been to that one. You can only see it during a guided tour in the Spring and Summer. I don't know what the times are for the tours.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #22294
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Make it a point to go there this year come springtime. Tell yourselves that it is the start of this years vacation. Then when you are walking around, you can be planning where you want to go for the rest of your vacation.
And take a picnic basket of goodies! DH and I love to visit historical sites and enjoy a nice meal. There's usually a park and/or picnic tables nearby.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 AM   #22295
Executive Chef

I'm off to the theatre in Manchester tonight to see "Top Hat". It got rave reviews when it was on in London and the clips on U Tube look very good.

I wonder if the shades of Fred and Ginger will be in the audience with us.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #22296
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm off to the theatre in Manchester tonight to see "Top Hat". It got rave reviews when it was on in London and the clips on U Tube look very good.

I wonder if the shades of Fred and Ginger will be in the audience with us.
Oh how I envy you. In May my daughter is taking me to see the stage show "In The Mood". Music of the 40's big bands. I love the old black and white movies. Specially musicals. I am sure Top Hat will arrive on this side of the big pond soon. All your good ones do.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #22297
Chef Extraordinaire

Spending the day in the kitchen playing with seasonal side ideas using asparagus, spinach, birch syrup, dark chocolate balsamic vinegar, root veggies. (Several different ideas for which I've drafted recipes--just need to take what I "taste" in my mind to the stovetop/oven). Also making a roasted mushroom soup. Time to get the prep work done so I can get these sides all done before dark.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #22298
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We've been treated to ice and snow since Sunday night and it's quite cold for our region this time of the year. Even though it was sunny when we got up it was still only 11F. Not much above that right now and the cold is supposed to stick with us for at least another week, with more ice and snow added to make it interesting. Schools have been closed since Friday and most won't open until Monday, if then.

I always keep filled bird feeders out and, now, have put suet cakes out to give my feathered friends more fuel. As a result, I have put the last cake out and just finished making more suet to cut into 4 cakes. Might even make up another batch since it's supposed to stay so cold for as long as we're told.

Bella has definitely enjoyed watching "Birdie TV" and is especially pleased that we've upgraded by adding the "suet" channel. She even submitted a requisition this morning for a wider windowsill so she could watch her programs more comfortably.

In the meantime, Woodstock has been busy with his Zamboni on the pool cover, which means I need to get outside and scrape off some of the snow and ice that are pushing it down.

Guess it's time to suit up and go outside.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #22299
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
We've been treated to ice and snow since Sunday night and it's quite cold for our region this time of the year. Even though it was sunny when we got up it was still only 11F. Not much above that right now and the cold is supposed to stick with us for at least another week, with more ice and snow added to make it interesting. Schools have been closed since Friday and most won't open until Monday, if then.
I always keep fulled bird feeders out and, now, have put suet cakes out to give my feathered friends more fuel. As a result, I have put the last cake out and just finished making more suet to cut into 4 cakes. Might even make up another batch since it's supposed to stay so cold for as long as we're told.

Bella has definitely enjoyed watching "Birdie TV" and is especially pleased that we've upgraded by adding the "suet" channel. She even submitted a requisition this morning for a wider windowsill so she could watch her programs more comfortably.

In the meantime, Woodstock has been busy with his Zamboni on the pool cover, which means I need to get outside and scrape off some of the snow and ice that are pushing it down.

Guess it's time to suit up and go outside.
Welcome to my world. More snow coming our way. I haven't been out of this house for more that two weeks.

Any chance of getting the emoticons as snowmen? Or snow women.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #22300
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Welcome to my world. More snow coming our way. I haven't been out of this house for more that two weeks.

Any chance of getting the emoticons as snowmen? Or snow women.