"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #22341
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...It's been a stressful weekend...
You need one of these, PF.

Hope this week goes a lot better for you.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #22342
Executive Chef

Hope everyone is feeling better...PF, Chef Munky, and anyone else who is feeling under the weather.

PF, they always say that colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, are NOT caused by being out in the cold with only a sweater. In fact, I've heard that you CAN be bundled up too much. DH wears a summer jacket all winter and rarely gets sick.

What is the difference between walking pneumonia and regular pneumonia?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #22343
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not sure what brought it on but I have been in a depression for about three days. This is so not me. I am mainly a fighter and if something is bothering me I fight back. Not this time. I don't even know what I am depressed about. And I just don't care. The Pirate has been laying my meds out for me because I hadn't been taking them on my own. When he started to yell at me, I just told him "I don't care! So what if I have another heart attack. It's my heart and I don't want to take care of it anymore." I just can't seem to get out of this mood. I am beginning to understand what people who have chronic depression are feeling. Some of the pills are still sitting in their little bowl. Maybe I'll take them, maybe I won't.

I need to get into the shower, get dressed and call Winthrop. It is not good for me to be like this. I am the one every one comes to when they have a problem. Now I have one and I can't solve it on my own. The last time I got weighed at Winthrop, I was 137. I am now down to 125.5. That is a lot of weight to lose when you aren't even trying to lose.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #22344
Head Chef

Visiting my mum in her care home (as I do several times a week). She was in her room (not downstairs in the dining room) so I helped feed her the mushy small meal. (I used to bring her a chocolate bar but she has difficulty swallowing now). It was one of her better days, i.e. speaking in English and making sense (not too disorientated or speaking Italian - her native language).

She was 94 last month. Following her recent hip operation, she is still unable to move without assistance. She receives physiotherapy to help get back on her feet but she is scared.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #22345
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Visiting my mum in her care home (as I do several times a week). She was in her room (not downstairs in the dining room) so I helped feed her the mushy small meal. (I used to bring her a chocolate bar but she has difficulty swallowing now). It was one of her better days, i.e. speaking in English and making sense (not too disorientated or speaking Italian - her native language).

She was 94 last month. Following her recent hip operation, she is still unable to move without assistance. She receives physiotherapy to help get back on her feet but she is scared.
If your mother enjoys chocolate how about trying a bottle of a chocolate drink like Boost or Ensure. The chocolate combined with the various nutritional elements might be just what she needs.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #22346
Master Chef

Having my second cup of coffee and watching the news about the multi train car derailment in SoCal - it's a miracle there are no fatalities! Aerial views show the train cars tossed around the tracks like little toys.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...224-story.html

Kayelle, this is so close to you - you and SousChef must be glued to the TV this morning!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #22347
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If your mother enjoys chocolate how about trying a bottle of a chocolate drink like Boost or Ensure. The chocolate combined with the various nutritional elements might be just what she needs.
Good luck!
Thanks but I am in UK and do not recognise those brands. She is given fortified dessert/drink occasionally (she had these in the hospital). When I looked after her at her home (living there for 2 years), I used to give her Vit C and Vit B complex (that I also take) and she had an excellent diet since I am a good cook. Although she claimed to have no appetite, she invariably polished off a big plate of food...regularly!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #22348
Certified Pretend Chef

Our condo association has hired a crew to clear of our buildings' roofs. Teams of 10 men are scurrying around on roof tops with shovels removing all the snow and icicles. They were just doing my roof and broke for lunch. I have a 3' pile of snow on my deck that was shoveled off the roof. They have been doing a good job of cleanup as they go.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #22349
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our condo association has hired a crew to clear of our buildings' roofs. Teams of 10 men are scurrying around on roof tops with shovels removing all the snow and icicles. They were just doing my roof and broke for lunch. I have a 3' pile of snow on my deck that was shoveled off the roof. They have been doing a good job of cleanup as they go.
Hope they don't damage the roof shingles with their shovels. I'm sure they pretty careful about that.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #22350
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Feeling a bit better, had a spell yesterday of being unable to swallow, my throat was so swollen, went in and had a shot of cortisone for that. Still running bouts with a fever, but it's starting to cool off.

Gravity, not to mention ice, is my "downfall" or "fall down go boom" nemesis. Happens to me on Handicap ramps for some stupid reason.

I am about to go in and wake up Shrek, his Laser eye surgery 2 weeks ago to attach his retina has failed (found out Friday) and he's going in for eye surgery this morning. It's been a stressful weekend.

Thanks for asking!
I don't walk with a normal gait due to the wound on the bottom of my right leg. So now when and if I go outside, I am a nervous wreck that I will fall and break my hip. And I can't take out my scooter in the snow. I would have to ride in the street.