"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #22381
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
What is your planting season? Were I live we don't put plants in the ground until the last frost. Usually around the middle on May.
I guess you mean bulbs? Perennials are there all the year round. Plants in pots I keep off the ground by inverting their saucer so they sit on top of upturned base.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #22382
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's neat, Creative. I like making stuff from discards too. Matter of fact, I have great difficulty throwing anything away Since we're surrounded by woods, I make a lot of trellises from branches.
I can picture that...sounds lovely and rustic!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #22383
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I guess you mean bulbs? Perennials are there all the year round. Plants in pots I keep off the ground by inverting their saucer so they sit on top of upturned base.

I suspect JoAnn means the time you plant your vegetables and annual flowers. I'm thinking JoAnn, Simonbaker and I are around the same planting zone, somewhere around USDA Zone 5. That means we don't dare plant any annuals until there is no danger of frost, usually mid-May. Many of us still have a lot of snow, though here it's melting.

It looks like you have a nice temperate climate, where you can have flowers almost year 'round.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #22384
Sous Chef

My store just installed 8 self-checkouts and holy cow, it's murder. It's one price override here, one ID check there, a card won't work, how do I ring up bananas, why isn't there a pay by check button, how does this work, error corrections, voids, why is it saying to take my items when they're already in the cart, etc., etc.

Then there are the geniuses who think self-checkouts are where the CSS (customer service supervisor...me) rings up everything for them and the customer has to bag it and put it in the cart. Riiiiiiiiiiight.

I ran into the store manager on my way to lunch, and she asked how the self-checkouts were going, as this was our first day with them.

I said, "Well, it's fine, but I don't think they're finished with the construction part of them yet."

"Oh?" she asked. "I'm sure they're done now."

I shook my head. "No, the trapdoors and the button haven't been installed yet."

She got a good laugh from that and swatted me on the arm.

Oh....I wish! I'd even settle for a catapult; especially at the service desk.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #22385
Certified Pretend Chef

Self checkout technology is far from foolproof. Even if you do everything right, sometimes the machine backs up and tells you to take everything off the belt and start over. Then if there is no store personnel to clear the problem, you're stuck.

I understand these machines are there because they can save the stores a lot of money, but it's very frustrating for a customer when the alternative is to go to a traditional register and have others do all the work.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #22386
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Is that your yard right now, creative? As in, you can actually see grass NOW? Oh, how delightful! I'm not sure we'll ever see the grass - currently hidden by nearly five feet of snow. *sigh* By the way, your entire yard (what is visible) is a real delight.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #22387
Executive Chef

Andy, it's taking a long time for people in our area to warm up to self-checkouts, so they are really the best place to go now. No lines. At first I didn't like the fact that it was putting someone out of a job, but you can't fight progress. The only problem I have with them is when they don't recognize that you have bagged the item because it is a very small or light item. I rarely buy a lot at a time so they are a god-send for me.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #22388
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Andy, it's taking a long time for people in our area to warm up to self-checkouts, so they are really the best place to go now. No lines. At first I didn't like the fact that it was putting someone out of a job, but you can't fight progress. The only problem I have with them is when they don't recognize that you have bagged the item because it is a very small or light item. I rarely buy a lot at a time so they are a god-send for me.
Our supermarket hasn't installed them yet. I do use them at Costco. That's where I feel the frustration. Their CS is on top of things.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #22389
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Our Walmart has self-checkout. Years ago, one of my former students and Walmart employee offered to teach me how to use them. I try every once in awhile, but usually get a glitch or two.

Self check at Costco would truly frighten me.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #22390
Executive Chef

One supermarket has had them for a couple years, the other does not, and they're at Walmart, too, but people just don't like to use them. DH started using them before I did. He HATES lines, so he got used to using them and now has me using them.