"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #22391
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'll brave the lines. My DH, who is terribly short on patience, wouldn't tolerate self check if it gave him any possibility of a problem.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #22392
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Self checkout technology is far from foolproof. Even if you do everything right, sometimes the machine backs up and tells you to take everything off the belt and start over. Then if there is no store personnel to clear the problem, you're stuck.

I understand these machines are there because they can save the stores a lot of money, but it's very frustrating for a customer when the alternative is to go to a traditional register and have others do all the work.
We have these Walmart Neighborhood Market stores, they are basically just a Walmart version of a grocery store, not a full Walmart. Most of their registers are self scans with only two regular ones. There are many times when self scan is the only thing open, like 8 self scan registers with one person there to assist. I go in there only when they have something that nobody else does and I have yet to go in when there is a real register open.

I use self scan often, but in a situation like this you WILL get stuck behind people that have no idea how to use them. Just when you think that Walmart can't create a more miserable experience, they prove you wrong by opening up their " Neighborhood Market "

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #22393
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I kinda like the self-check out. Stirling hates it. In fact, when he is with me it always causes problems that I don't usually see. But, it must not have been great for the store or a lot of customers said they hated it. One of the two stores in the area that had took them out.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #22394
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd be quite happy to use them if they were more reliable/trouble-free. That way, SO could do the bagging rather than nagging the baggers to do it her way.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #22395
Master Chef

I would be happy to use them if I received a discount on my purchases.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #22396
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would be happy to use them if I received a discount on my purchases.

That would be a great idea, Bea! Just don't hold your breath.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #22397
Executive Chef

On the subject of bagging...I hate those things they have in Walmart that go around and the clerk bags as she rings. When you're done, they just leave the bags there and I never know if I have all my bags. Also, it seems that they like to put just one thing in each bag.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #22398
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Andy, it's taking a long time for people in our area to warm up to self-checkouts, so they are really the best place to go now. No lines. At first I didn't like the fact that it was putting someone out of a job, but you can't fight progress. The only problem I have with them is when they don't recognize that you have bagged the item because it is a very small or light item. I rarely buy a lot at a time so they are a god-send for me.
When you have a light item, just press it into the bag with a little pressure. We have self-checkouts at our Walmart and Sam's. I use them all of the time and never have a problem.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #22399
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
When you have a light item, just press it into the bag with a little pressure. We have self-checkouts at our Walmart and Sam's. I use them all of the time and never have a problem.

DH throws the light items into the bag! LOL Like 2 small pkgs of dry yeast I bought. Usually if there is any problem, help is there immediately. It's always faster than waiting in a regular check out line for us.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #22400
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
One of the funny problems with self-checkout is buying wine or beer. I have to stand there and wait for someone to verify my ID that I am at least 18. When I'm lucky, I can wave at the staff member in charge of self-checkout and say, "You don't really need ID, do you?" and the person pushes the appropriate button.