"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #22411
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Right, nowadays diabetics have glucose meters. My mum was diagnosed with diabetes in the early '60s. Personal glucose meters were not available. She had an episode while walking down the street. She was stopped by a cop for drunkenness. She didn't have any alcohol on her breath. Eventually they figured out that it was low blood sugar. After that we made sure she always had some glucose tablets with her that she could put under her tongue in case of low blood sugar.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #22412
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For some reason, Medicare denied my doctor's prescription for a meter. I'll be talking to him about that on my next visit.

I'm type 2 as well. I have too much insulin when I eat carbs.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #22413
Executive Chef

Off to Book Group in a few minutes. This month's book is "Jonathon Livingstone Seagull" - now there's a blast from the past! Because it's such a short book we also have John Donne's "The Flea" which is a touch risqué - old John wasn't backward at coming forward when it came to the ladies, despite being a clergyman!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #22414
Master Chef

MC, that is an old classic! It would be interesting to hear how your book group critiques it. I gave my old copy (maybe a 1st printing?) to our son when I also passed along my old copy of "The Little Prince". Haven't read "The Flea", but now you have my interest piqued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Don't diabetics carry glucose/dextrose for low blood sugar?
When Himself was going through a medication adjustment for his Type 2 he would get a rare sugar crash. I kept a Hershey chocolate bar in my purse. However, on those days I was out too long and still had to hit the grocery store hungry I'd eat the bar. At least I was able to replace it immediately.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #22415
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
A type 1 diabetic should. I am type 2 and I don't because I have only had 1 low in 8 years. But DH always has hard candy with him, and that's works good, too. I'm not sure of Addie's circumstances.
I don't carry one either. That crash was the first in many years. And I haven't had one since. If I know I am going to be out of the house for a while, I make sure I eat something first. Tomorrow I am going to grocery shopping, then to lunch with my daughter and then off to the hairdressers. So I will make sure I have a small dish of scramble eggs before I head out the door. It will keep my sugar level up. If I am lucky, the shopping will be for a short while and I can just rest for a whole before heading out again.

Hard candy takes too long to work on me. I have to have a high liquid sugary dose. It works immediately on me. Even before I have finished swallowing it.

There are no set rules for diabetics. Only guidelines.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #22416
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Don't diabetics carry glucose/dextrose for low blood sugar?
Only if they use insulin to manage their diabetes. Some oral meds can cause hypoglycemia in Type II Diabetics, but for the most part if they only use orals they have no problems. Most Type II's have no problems eating on a regular basis.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #22417
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There are no set rules for diabetics. Only guidelines.
Exactly, we all have different levels of being fine and the ability to have higher or lower blood sugar levels.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #22418
Certified Pretend Chef

Had to go buy a new trash barrel. The guys who cleared the snow and ice dams off the roof crushed ours. They're picking up the tab.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:05 AM   #22419
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Only if they use insulin to manage their diabetes. Some oral meds can cause hypoglycemia in Type II Diabetics, but for the most part if they only use orals they have no problems. Most Type II's have no problems eating on a regular basis.
It's true. I have the worst eating habits of any diabetic. I only eat when I remember to. Although my gastro surgery many moons ago was a life saving one, it also is the main cause of my eating problems today. They severed my Vargus nerve along with other nerves. The nerve that creates the acid and the one that tells me I am hungry. So unless I remember to eat, I don't. I don't get faint like most folks do when they don't eat for a long length of time. I wish I did. It would make my life a lot more simple to my eating habits. But in spite of my bad eating habits, I am able to keep my numbers down without medication. Don't ask me how. I have no idea.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #22420
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm walking around the house in my big, winter, bother boots with my cane. I have to go for eye tests and see my ophthalmologist tomorrow. I broke my toe about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I want to know if the boots make the toe hurt. A week ago on Friday I tried because I wanted to go to a friend's surprise birthday party. I walked about 5 metres and the toe started to hurt. Needless to say, I missed the party. The toe hurt for a couple of days.

I will be taking a taxi to see the doctor. That assumes that the toe doesn't hurt later. Right now, it seems to be okay in the boots.