"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #22471
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
{{{{creative}}}}. Wishing the best for you and your Mum. We are all here for you.
What Dawg wrote and (((hugs))) from me too. Even when we know it's coming, it's hard.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #22472
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Mum was readmitted to hospital (transferred from her care home) a couple of days ago - "atrial fibrillation".

Today we got phonecalls saying her breathing was laboured and that she might not make it.... So, took a cab there and was relieved to find her still alive but poorly. They gave her a hormone (opposite to insulin) to kickstart her blood sugar levels which got her out of the danger zone. However, her problem with swallowing (related to her dementia) means she has not eaten for a day or so and we are told that it could be dangerous to coax her into eating since it could go down the wrong way (i.e. into her lungs). Without this improving...how can she live much longer anyway?
It sounds as though the hospital is operating the Liverpool Care Pathway, in which case they should have consulted you and got your permission in writing, if you are the next of kin. Unfortunately the LCP isn't always followed properly. Hasn't your mother's care home agreed an end of life procedure with you or whoever is the next of kin? Among other things, this could cover whether she is sent to hospital or kept comfortable at the home when the end is inevitable.

Been there done this and a friend worked at the Department of Health on End of Life procedures until recently. We were discussing this a couple of weeks ago as a mutual friend's mother-in-law was at the end of her life. She lives in Northern Ireland and her passing was what you would want yours to be. Unfortunately it isn't always like that.

Sorry to get a bit technical but I wish I'd known about this when my own mother was rushed into hospital and subsequently died.

You and your family have my deepest sympathy and prayers.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #22473
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So sorry to hear that. And on top of the expense of a new garage door. Do you need a whole new door or just a new panel?
Yes we need a whole new door. The old one is wooden (is starting to crack in places) and has been there since 1975. DH got his hearing aids, I knew they would cost lots but you should have seen the look on his face when they put them in his ears. He couldn't believe what he could hear. Oh, and by the way 2 weeks ago we had to get a new kitchen stove. Lets hope that nothing else will need replacing.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #22474
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
It sounds as though the hospital is operating the Liverpool Care Pathway, in which case they should have consulted you and got your permission in writing, if you are the next of kin. Unfortunately the LCP isn't always followed properly. Hasn't your mother's care home agreed an end of life procedure with you or whoever is the next of kin? Among other things, this could cover whether she is sent to hospital or kept comfortable at the home when the end is inevitable.

Been there done this and a friend worked at the Department of Health on End of Life procedures until recently. We were discussing this a couple of weeks ago as a mutual friend's mother-in-law was at the end of her life. She lives in Northern Ireland and her passing was what you would want yours to be. Unfortunately it isn't always like that.

Sorry to get a bit technical but I wish I'd known about this when my own mother was rushed into hospital and subsequently died.

You and your family have my deepest sympathy and prayers.
Thanks for this post but I don't think this is what is happening with her. She is not deliberately being prevented from eating but rather we have been alerted to the danger of coaxing her to eat (i.e. when she doesn't want to) with the food going down the wrong path (to her lungs) because she was not sufficiently alert - so it is a physical concern.

She became more alert later today which has aided her ability to swallow - some water at least (rather than have it trickle down her throat).

Nevertheless I will bear in mind what you point out here. Thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #22475
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Found an older 11 cup cuisinart food processor at a thrift store for $5, and it works just fine! I didn't need one, but bought it anyway, because I knew someone that would give it a good home. Luckily they have changed very little over the years so replacement pieces should be easy for her to find.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #22476
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Found an older 11 cup cuisinart food processor at a thrift store for $5, and it works just fine! I didn't need one, but bought it anyway, because I knew someone that would give it a good home. Luckily they have changed very little over the years so replacement pieces should be easy for her to find.
Great find! I've had one of those for 15 years. B ought it new for a lot more than $5.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #22477
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Great find! I've had one of those for 15 years. B ought it new for a lot more than $5.
She must have been sending me vibes because she has been looking for one. I really love mine. I really enjoy how quiet and powerful it is.

Mine was a very generous wedding present!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 AM   #22478
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Mum was readmitted to hospital (transferred from her care home) a couple of days ago - "atrial fibrillation"....
creative, I'm sad to hear about your difficult situation with your Mum. I'll keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope things are getting better.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #22479
Master Chef

Creative, I too will remember your Mom in my thoughts.

My SousChef (DH) just returned home tonight after flying across the country and back to visit his mother on her 102 birthday. Both of her children were there and she knew it, but just barely.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 AM   #22480
Master Chef

We took our cabin fever out on the road today (Wednesday), hitting the little Mediterranean market about 20 miles away, then kept heading north. We stopped at three different small cheese farms - one was open. We bought a small roll of hickory smoked goat cheese to try. The second one was closed on Wednesdays. And the third looks like it doesn't open until well after Mud Season, but at least the farm dog ran out into the road to welcome us! We'll have to go back when the weather gets warm and introduce ourselves to him right proper.

Stopped at one of the new Market Baskets way up at the top of the state - mostly for a pit stop. That bathroom break cost us $26!