"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #22511
Chef Extraordinaire

I am watching 60 Minutes. They are doing a report on attacking brain cancer. There is hope for my daughter. At the present time, there is no cancer in her tumor. But there is still a small piece of the tumor that they can not remove and have given her all the chemo that her body can tolerate. So in a sense, she is in remission. But that small piece can wake up at any time and start producing cancer cells again.

Duke University has been doing research with dead polio virus vaccine. By injecting it directly into the tumor, it will wake up her immune system to attack that small piece of tumor and kill it permanently. The tumors just melt away. And it has been found to work on other cancers as well.

I hope my daughter talks to her doctors about this. Living with this small piece of tumor on her brain, takes a toll on all of us. There is hope for my daughter. That is the second good news I have received in the past three years.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #22512
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That's interesting and encouraging, Addie. I wonder how long until they can start using it on patients.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #22513
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just placed an order for a t-shirt, the one on the right:

I ordered it through a friends blog: Two Cookie Monster Tees $11 Today Only At TeeFury! "Be One With Cookie" and Cthulu Mashup "Cthookie Monster"!!! - Freebies For A Cause
Old 03-30-2015, 12:07 AM   #22514
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's interesting and encouraging, Addie. I wonder how long until they can start using it on patients.
The don't even have 50 test patients yet. But the results look good so far. They have had more successes than failures. It really looks promising.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #22515
Chef Extraordinaire

Canadian TV vs. American

I get a lot of programs that are produced in Canada. They are so much professional than American TV. I am so sick of reality shows. Just a cheap way not to hire a complete crew to write and produce a pleasurable TV show.

Commercials are even more enjoyably spaced. There are half as many as on American TV. If the show has a story to tell, whether it is reality like Highway Through Hell, or a fictional story like a mystery show placed in the late 190's, there are fewer commercials and are spaced so that you get to see the an important part. They don't break for a commercial. And there are fewer commercials during that break. American TV has commercial breaks that last for as long as five minutes. Yes I have timed them.

It used to be that the networks were getting bad. So you watched cable. The shows were better, had better writing and you could sit back and watch a good show. Not anymore. It is all reality trash. Does anyone really care if the Kadashian girls have more babies, get married or anything else. And what do they do? Not one of them have an honest real job. And the real housewives!! What a joke all of them are. Are they kidding? Do any of them do housework? Do they hold down a job outside the home for eight hours a day?

Keep the Canadian shows coming. With all the snow we have had in Boston, I am a prisoner in my home. I get around outside with a scooter. Can't take it outside in the snow. So here I am ever so grateful to Canada for entertaining me with intelligent shows. Thank you Canada.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #22516
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Driving this 1200 miles with 4 kitties

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427812742827.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	22706  

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #22517
Head Chef

Meee-owwww, BC - times 4!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #22518
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

The cats won't bother you if you put them in the way back.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #22519
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Why am I laughing so hard? Because my cat decided to have six kittens right in the middle of moving. I put her and her kittens in the box, in the front seat of the moving van with the movers. She gave birth to the last three while the truck was moving to the new location. I paid the movers extra for their scratches and the care they gave Moonlight. Who is going to give you the extra tip? She kept trying to get out of the box with one of her kittens in her mouth to a hidden location, wherever that might be.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #22520
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The cats won't bother you if you put them in the way back.
And make sure if you put them in a box, it is high enough so they can't climb out. (Spoken from experience!)