"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #22581
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They will sometimes have that info. Someone mentions their grandparent, with a link, on FaceBook. Next thing someone collects enough info to trick the grandparent. Of course it doesn't always work. But, sometimes the panic of grandchild-needs-emergency-medical care or whatever, freaks out the grandparent enough to forget to ask the right questions.
Well at least this is now an established scam so the chances of catching someone out must be now minimised. Nevertheless, I can see that the elderly may be fairly easy targets e.g. with fading memory.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #22582
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Addie did the supermarket have security and CCTV ? , hopefully the man can be found ?
Yes they do have CCTV. In fact they have so many close ups of him. They picked the best one for the TV stations to show. Pirate was able to identify him as soon as his face showed up on the screen the first time. They have pictures of him just wandering around the store.

He is still loose. I hope when they do that Pirate is not there because he will want to finish what he started. I would hate to visit him in prison.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #22583
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Wow...never heard of that here in UK. I guess it relies on the ability not to detect who the grandson is. I would have thought some elemental questions would sort that out, i.e. name, age etc.
A variation of it crops up from time to time. I had an email from a friend who was stranded in Madrid airport because she'd had her bag stolen with her tickets and money. I was asked to send her a huge sum so that she could get home. I would have been suspicious anyway and would have made enquiries but in this case I didn't have to as she was standing next to me at the time!

In any case most of my friends and family know that I'd be the last person to have a couple of thousand pounds lying around waiting for them to have a crisis!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #22584
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I Googled Viola Meal in a Bag. and Hormel Foods. Plenty of ideas and meals there, Enough to keep him fed for a month.

The only reason I can do this is because he gets way more then me in food stamps. So I will use his to buy his food. He keeps telling me to buy food for myself with his stamps. But I would rather spend the money on his needs than mine.

Everyday when I come here and sit on the porch with Buttons on my lap with my cup of coffee, I am reminded of how grateful I am that I have friends like all of you. All in one day I can vent and spout off, laugh my head off, have compassion for someone, and so many other emotions. Today I can feel grateful for all your help. I even learned about some new products. I left a bottle of Champagne as a thank you gift for all of you.

Thanks.
Glad we can help
Old 04-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #22585
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They will sometimes have that info. Someone mentions their grandparent, with a link, on FaceBook. Next thing someone collects enough info to trick the grandparent. Of course it doesn't always work. But, sometimes the panic of grandchild-needs-emergency-medical care or whatever, freaks out the grandparent enough to forget to ask the right questions.
And it is for this very reason when I do post with any member, I never refer to what relation they are to me. And most of my posts are very short. Nice picture. That is good news. etc.

And when it comes to Poo, I have to be ever mindful of his medical license and location. Who knows what drug addict may be looking for someone to write a script for them. I don't put any information out there regarding my family. If there is something you really need to tell me, use the phone. It would be nice to hear from you.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #22586
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just talked with Steve in New York after his mother's funeral today. He will bringing home a recorded conversation from his parents life together that was made 10 yrs ago, just before his Dad died at at age 95. His mother was 102 when she passed a few days ago. What a treasure! I can't wait to hear.

What I would give to hear my parents voices again.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thoughts on way to you and Steve.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #22587
Executive Chef

Shopping this morning and the stables all afternoon. Tetley had made a real pig's ear of his bed so I had to do a big muck out to get rid of his, erm, deposits. Really he is the filthiest horse I've ever had dealings with. Stable looked like there's been an all night party in there! I'm sure I don't feed him as much as comes out the other end.

Horrid wet day so Tetley didn't go out to play - not much point in turning him out when all he'd do would be to stand knee deep in mud, looking miserable. He's a nuisance when I have to muck out his stable while he's in it - he has to follow me round, investigating what I'm doing!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #22588
Master Chef

I just got done prepping as much as I can for Easter dinner at my daughter's tomorrow afternoon. I'm bringing a few dishes, she's baking the ham and a few dishes.

We're having Easter dinner tomorrow instead of Sunday, because my granddaughters will be on the road Sunday, headed back home to central CA. They have school Monday.

MC, I enjoy your Tetley stories. He sounds like a large dog, following you around! If ever you can get a pic of him, I'm sure we all would like to see the famous Tetley. :-)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 PM   #22589
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes, would love to see a pic of Tetley, filthy or not!

So far today I've managed to load the dishwasher. That's it. I think being on a plane with a three hour delay in Atlanta and getting coughed on by a whole bunch of people has done something to both DH's and my energy levels. He's been comatose and sleeping, and I've been marginally upright for the past three days.

I did get out the fixings for corn chowder which I plan to make tomorrow, just not now.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:46 PM   #22590
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Glad we can help
And you all certainly did help. Thanks a lot!

Now on to my next dilemma.

Do any of you pay your bills on line and use the automatic withdrawal from your bank account feature? I have four bills that I pay every month on line. I am seriously thinking of do such. But I have always felt that I had to be in charge of my funds. Is this manner of bill paying really safe? Should I go for it and can I withdraw it any time I want?