"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2015, 01:09 AM   #22591
Master Chef

Mad Cook, another Tetley fan here, too! You now have a few of us clamoring for a photo.

Dawg, I hope you shake off whatever unwanted souvenir you brought home. Feel better soon.

Addie, Himself has a number of monthly bills paid automatically online. I don't know how he did it, since I run other parts of the budget and I'm not the techie in the house. I know Andy has mentioned that he pays practically every one of his bills online or automatically. You might want to check with him since he seems to be DCs numbers wizard. Another reliable source would be to check with your bank. I'm sure they have someone on staff that could help you set things up.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 AM   #22592
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Addie, I pay Just about all my bills online. It may work differently in the US. Those bills that are always the same amount, I set up a payment schedule at my bank's website. I can change that payment schedule anytime I want, myself. (The bank calls those "recurring payments".) Those bills that vary in amount, I pay when I get them, at the bank's website. Some of my bills get automagically paid by credit card. I gave the companies permission to do that and I can tell them to stop any time. I pay off that credit card, in full every month. I earn "Canadian Tire Money" for everything I spend with that card. I don't like giving companies my banking info, but I did give it to my insurance company, and they take the monthly instalments for my house and car insurance.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #22593
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Do any of you pay your bills on line and use the automatic withdrawal from your bank account feature? I have four bills that I pay every month on line. I am seriously thinking of do such. But I have always felt that I had to be in charge of my funds. Is this manner of bill paying really safe? Should I go for it and can I withdraw it any time I want?
Addie, giving a company permission to take the amount of a bill from your account every month is one way of dong automatic payment. Another is to use the bill payer function your bank offers.

The difference is who initiates the payment. In the first option, the company automatically takes the billed amount from your account every month and you never have to do a thing.

With the second option, you have to receive the bill and go to your bank's online bill payer service and enter the amount to be paid and the payment date each month. If you forget, you're payment wont get made. This what I do.

The second option gives you a little more control. You can examine your bill for errors before you commit to paying that amount. The first option is a "set it and forget it" option.

I don't use the first option so I don't know a lot of details. I would assume you can stop the auto withdrawals anytime. I don't know how long that takes or what the process is.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #22594
Master Chef

Been busy this morning and it's only 9:15. I'm going out to my daughter's for our Easter dinner this afternoon. The scalloped potatoes and lattice top peach pie (Claim Jumper) are in the oven, eggs are coming to a boil for deviled eggs, the carrots are peeled and sliced for steaming, the pineapple, mango and watermelon are prepped and ready to cut up for the fruit salad.

I need another cup of coffee.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #22595
Certified Pretend Chef

I just made a batch of Salt and Pepper's gum drops in lemon flavor for Sunday. SIL loves lemon desserts and so do I.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #22596
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I just made a batch of Salt and Pepper's gum drops in lemon flavor for Sunday. SIL loves lemon desserts and so do I.
What is the texture like? S&P wrote soft. Is the texture similar to gummy bears?
Old 04-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #22597
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, would love to see a pic of Tetley, filthy or not!

Here you are. It was my avatar when I first landed in DC. Taken in his (drag)hunting days. It's not me riding him. Bev was the "girl" friend of the previous Master of Hounds ('nuff said!) and she had Tetley on part loan for hunting on side saddle a few years back.

Name:   File0003_large.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  9.5 KB

It isn't a very flattering picture of him. He doesn't seem to take a very good photo and he's much better looking in real-life
Old 04-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #22598
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

Attachment 22714

It isn't a very flattering picture of him. He doesn't seem to take a very good photo and he's much better looking in real-life

Heh. Sounds like a picture of me, MC!

I think Tetley's picture looks better than mine do.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #22599
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, giving a company permission to take the amount of a bill from your account every month is one way of dong automatic payment. Another is to use the bill payer function your bank offers.

The difference is who initiates the payment. In the first option, the company automatically takes the billed amount from your account every month and you never have to do a thing.

With the second option, you have to receive the bill and go to your bank's online bill payer service and enter the amount to be paid and the payment date each month. If you forget, you're payment wont get made. This what I do.

The second option gives you a little more control. You can examine your bill for errors before you commit to paying that amount. The first option is a "set it and forget it" option.

I don't use the first option so I don't know a lot of details. I would assume you can stop the auto withdrawals anytime. I don't know how long that takes or what the process is.
Addie, I use the "set it and forget it" method ie "direct debit" as it's called over here, where the company you are paying requests the payment from your bank. The rules may be different over with you but here the company you are paying sets the amount which is payable and the date on which it goes out and can't change either without letting you know either by email or in writing and there is a legally binding direct debit guarantee which the companies and banks have to comply with. With some companies we have the option to choose the date on which the payment goes out. If the payment falls due on a Bank Holiday (a public holiday such as Christmas Day) or a Saturday or Sunday, then it is taken out on the next working day. We can stop the payments any time we like by just instructing the bank although it's a good idea to tell the company as well.

We also have a "standing order" system where you set up a payment to go out at regular intervals. The difference it that the standing order is an arrangement between you and your bank and the bank follows your instruction to make the payment and the receiving company just accepts it without any input at all apart from telling you its account details.

I use both depending on which is more convenient for me. Direct debit is great for things you might forget about until it's too late eg insurance payments or the television licence or the car tax or for magazine subscriptions. Sometimes companies over here will give you a discount if you pay by direct debit.

As I say, you'd need to check that the same rules apply at your end but I hope this helps you formulate your questions on the systems that apply where you are.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #22600
Head Chef

MC can you take an up to date pic of your horse on your phone ?