"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #22671
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Thank you all for the prayers & positive support!!!! You are all wonderful people!!!!!!!
__________________

__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #22672
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,302
Thank you, CG and Addie!

7:45 here now and ready to hit the road. Can't wait to kiss my sweet grandsons cute little faces! Got my Costco and Trader Joe's list all ready, I'm sure I'll get at least twice as much as what's on there.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #22673
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you, CG and Addie!

7:45 here now and ready to hit the road. Can't wait to kiss my sweet grandsons cute little faces! Got my Costco and Trader Joe's list all ready, I'm sure I'll get at least twice as much as what's on there.
Just make sure you have tons and tons of fun with the little one.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #22674
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
When I was working, I always managed my payroll deductions so we would come close to breaking even, so no big refunds for us. As soon as DH sees money in a savings account he sees something he just has to have. After DH retired and I was still working, he set up to have taxes deducted from his pension check, which helped so we didn't owe at the end of the year. Now that I'm also retired, we are in a -0- tax bracket, but still file to get back the money withheld from his pension. If I had him stop those deductions, the money would be eaten up each month. This way, we receive a refund and I can use that money to pay the property taxes.

One time my step-daughter figured out that the more exemptions they claimed the more money they would get in their paycheck. Of course, at the end of the year when they owed a bundle to the IRS they didn't have it, so they quit filing. That worked great, until the IRS caught up with them and attached their wages. Now they are on a monthly payment plan to pay back all that money, plus penalty and interest. Kids!! I don't know if they've paid it off or not, but the less I know about it, the better off I am.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #22675
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
When I was working, I always managed my payroll deductions so we would come close to breaking even, so no big refunds for us. As soon as DH sees money in a savings account he sees something he just has to have. After DH retired and I was still working, he set up to have taxes deducted from his pension check, which helped so we didn't owe at the end of the year. Now that I'm also retired, we are in a -0- tax bracket, but still file to get back the money withheld from his pension. If I had him stop those deductions, the money would be eaten up each month. This way, we receive a refund and I can use that money to pay the property taxes.

One time my step-daughter figured out that the more exemptions they claimed the more money they would get in their paycheck. Of course, at the end of the year when they owed a bundle to the IRS they didn't have it, so they quit filing. That worked great, until the IRS caught up with them and attached their wages. Now they are on a monthly payment plan to pay back all that money, plus penalty and interest. Kids!! I don't know if they've paid it off or not, but the less I know about it, the better off I am.
The IRS does catch up with you eventually. When I stopped working, two years later I got a letter from IRS telling me that according to their records I hadn't filed for the past two year. If they had really looked they would see that I was collecting SS and that I was retired. About a month later I received a letter of apology from the agent that had my case. I had the feeling that he was new on the job. Since when does the IRS apologize for anything.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #22676
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,108
Finished the taxes, filed them online, now I'm cleaning the fridge since it's about as empty as it gets. Where did all this sticky gunk come from?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #22677
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Finished the taxes, filed them online, now I'm cleaning the fridge since it's about as empty as it gets. Where did all this sticky gunk come from?
The sticky gunk fairy put it there.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #22678
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The sticky gunk fairy put it there.

AHA! I knew it!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #22679
Senior Cook
 
Souschef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Santa Paula,CA
Posts: 407
Pilots & Paws

My copilot and I will be picking up 4 dogs in Long Beach tomorrow and flying them to new homes in Bakersfield.
Previously, we have flown a Doberman and an Australian cattle dog to new homes
__________________
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #22680
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My copilot and I will be picking up 4 dogs in Long Beach tomorrow and flying them to new homes in Bakersfield.
Previously, we have flown a Doberman and an Australian cattle dog to new homes
If you find a herd of Corgis, I have a place for them.

This is such a wonderful service you provide.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.