"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #22741
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just called a taxi to take me to physiotherapy. I feel silly taking a taxi less than half a kilometre, but I got tired walking 0.3 km yesterday.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #22742
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

AndyM inspired me to get my turkey neck stock started. Now it's nicely bubbling away.

I'm about to have another bowl of Kathleen's Onion Soup.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #22743
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's what I was going to suggest.
I went on the hunt and found the cure. The only people who can now contact me are my son and his wife. All other calls will be blocked. Thanks folks.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #22744
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, time to run out to your local Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream shop and get your free cone. Today is the day. YUM!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #22745
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Isn't a boreal mushroom just a mushroom that grows on a rotting tree trunk or forest floor, usually wild.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/forests/boreal/13077
That's what I thought too, Aunt Bea, but when I spoke to "my mushroom guy" he said that he'd have to call his suppliers to see if anyone has any. I spoke with another "mushroom guy" and he said that they didn't have any yet. Sent an email to the Chef...no response, yet. I am wondering if he means morel mushrooms...which are currently selling for $17.50/100 g and are sourced from Romania! Next "batch" will be from Oregon and won't be quite so pricey. $175.00/kg is wow, expensive. Glad I have my own little patch! They are almost worth their weight in gold...and won't be up for awhile (late May), if they come up this year. It depends on so many things--weather, moisture, etc.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #22746
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That's what I thought too, Aunt Bea, but when I spoke to "my mushroom guy" he said that he'd have to call his suppliers to see if anyone has any. I spoke with another "mushroom guy" and he said that they didn't have any yet. Sent an email to the Chef...no response, yet. I am wondering if he means morel mushrooms...which are currently selling for $17.50/100 g and are sourced from Romania! Next "batch" will be from Oregon and won't be quite so pricey. $175.00/kg is wow, expensive. Glad I have my own little patch! They are almost worth their weight in gold...and won't be up for awhile (late May), if they come up this year. It depends on so many things--weather, moisture, etc.
Apparently, the one good thing about a tree getting Dutch elm disease is that there can easily be 20 kgs of morels growing under that tree the first year the tree is infected.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:18 AM   #22747
Sous Chef

Right now counting my blessings and catching up on people here and praying for them. Been doing that for an hour or so.

I care about all of you!

Hugs and purrs to all!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #22748
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Apparently, the one good thing about a tree getting Dutch elm disease is that there can easily be 20 kgs of morels growing under that tree the first year the tree is infected.
Old apple orchards are also supposedly good. My yard is not typical habitat for morels. I was quite surprised to have them pop up. My dad swears by looking under oak trees. A friend has them growing under her maple trees. No trees re: Dutch elm disease on this property. I'll have to check at the farm...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #22749
Head Chef

Had quite an unusual experience in Pret A Manger today. I don't know whether it was because (perhaps) it showed that I had been crying earlier (lost my PO card and went to pieces over it - perhaps due to mum being so close to death now). I placed a granola bar on the counter and asked for a tea.

To my astonishment, the member of staff on the till said there was no charge, i.e. that it was FREE!!! I was somewhat taken aback and asked why - he said it was my lucky day! I was pleased but unsure what to make of it. Was it legal? Was it his last day there? Part of an ongoing random act of kindness? Ever happened to anyone here?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #22750
Head Chef

I like to think that he recognised you were feeling a bit fragile and acted accordingly , which is nice .

What's a PO card ?