"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #22831
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...With so many homes in a much smaller area, the population density is much higher than in a traditional residential neighborhood with half acre lots so irritations are magnified and impact more people.
That's the one reason Himself gives as why I wouldn't be happy in a condo. He's probably right. I have supersonic bat hearing. Not good, unless I would walk around with earplugs all day.

Our previous house was in a development with a homeowners' association. We were careful to make sure the restrictions weren't too stringent. There were very few rules; the association was there mostly to make sure the fees were collected to maintain the community swimming pool, tennis courts, and party center. We did get to hang laundry. Outdoor fresh sheets.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #22832
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'm baking for a bake sale tomorrow. 3 varieties of cupcakes, 2 varieties of brownies, 2 varieties of cookies and rice crispy treats with their tops dipped in chocolate.

Let the baking begin!
Wow, busy day for you, bakechef. And how nice to have TWO kitchenaids!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #22833
Master Chef

I always thought this would be my forever home, but the older I get, the more I'm a little unsure about that. I don't need 3 bdrs/2 baths just for me, but it's paid for and the property taxes and insurance are reasonable. I guess I don't have to make a decision right away....just going to wait and see what the future brings.

There is one particular condo development here that I've always liked - it's in a quiet neighborhood with nice established shade trees and landscaping. I drive through there every now and then just to look.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #22834
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I always thought this would be my forever home, but the older I get, the more I'm a little unsure about that. I don't need 3 bdrs/2 baths just for me, but it's paid for and the property taxes and insurance are reasonable. I guess I don't have to make a decision right away....just going to wait and see what the future brings.

There is one particular condo development here that I've always liked - it's in a quiet neighborhood with nice established shade trees and landscaping. I drive through there every now and then just to look.
I know that seems like a lot of room right now. But what about when the grand kiddies want a sleepover? Or the parents have to make a last minute business trip and need a babysitter?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #22835
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know that seems like a lot of room right now. But what about when the grand kiddies want a sleepover? Or the parents have to make a last minute business trip and need a babysitter?
Yup. As long as those extra rooms aren't self-dirtying, I say keep it. Of course, yard work is another question. I'm guessing that everything is on one level. Having multiple floors can be a real nuisance when you get older.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #22836
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yup. As long as those extra rooms aren't self-dirtying, I say keep it. Of course, yard work is another question. I'm guessing that everything is on one level. Having multiple floors can be a real nuisance when you get older.
Yeah, Addie and Taxy.....that's what I keep coming back to - having the extra rooms 'just in case'. No one has slept in the guest room for almost 2 years, but I guess there's always that possibility it might be needed. And I truly shudder at the thought of packing up and moving...I really do love it here, it's on the edge of town and so quiet.

Yes, Taxy, it's single story, thank goodness for that. I have a yard service that comes once a week and takes care of mowing the lawn, keeping the bushes and trees trimmed, and anything else I need done. They've been with me for over 10 years now, come to think of it.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #22837
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Yeah, Addie and Taxy.....that's what I keep coming back to - having the extra rooms 'just in case'. No one has slept in the guest room for almost 2 years, but I guess there's always that possibility it might be needed. And I truly shudder at the thought of packing up and moving...I really do love it here, it's on the edge of town and so quiet.

Yes, Taxy, it's single story, thank goodness for that. I have a yard service that comes once a week and takes care of mowing the lawn, keeping the bushes and trees trimmed, and anything else I need done. They've been with me for over 10 years now, come to think of it.
Then stay put. If you move into a smaller home, you will have to downsize. And that means having to get rid of a lot of memories. I am still kicking my butt for getting rid of my personally autographed cookbook by Julia Child. I had to get rid of my large bookcase and that was the only one that book fit in. And that was eight years ago.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #22838
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'm baking for a bake sale tomorrow. 3 varieties of cupcakes, 2 varieties of brownies, 2 varieties of cookies and rice crispy treats with their tops dipped in chocolate.

Let the baking begin!
6 pounds of butter?!?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #22839
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sitting in front of the fan, playing on the computer.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #22840
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Thought the same thing regarding BC's butter!