"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #22871
Master Chef

A photographic interpretation of John Denver's "Song of Wyoming"

Old 04-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #22872
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
A photographic interpretation of John Denver's "Song of Wyoming"
Thanks for that song, Cheryl. I had forgotten it. I can't wait to go for a spring or fall hike up in the Snowy Range Mountains.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #22873
Sous Chef

Wow...you're going to be in heaven there! Gimme pics!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #22874
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I hear this one:

But the Get Along Little Doggies is a good one, too!
This song is taken from the New World Symphony. (Dvorak) It is an old slave hymn about dying and going home to Jesus. It was featured all through the Movie Snake Pit. It starred Olivia de Haviland.

Going Home - LNWHymns.com

http://www.lnwhymns.com/HymnScriptures.aspx?ID=47

The words are beautiful.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #22875
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It took me a while to take a liking to bagpipes. Probably because the neighbor across from our first apartment would come home from work and instantly start one of her records up loud enough she could hear it all the way back in the bedroom. Or maybe in the bathroom while showering.

That all changed when I worked in a mall. Our little gift wrap center was just off the second-story overlook down to the main floor. Suddenly, we could hear what sounded like a drum-and-bagpipe corps getting louder! We all left our little alcove and headed to the "balcony" to see the event parading in from the main entrance. It was amazing! I have to admit that the acoustics in the mall were good - good enough to make even my singing sound good! Anyway, ever since that day I get chills every time I hear bagpipe music. If you want a listen, here's a clip I found of a group from one of Cleveland's suburbs.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #22876
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Wow...you're going to be in heaven there! Gimme pics!
My first pics will be of the eastern part of Wyoming, flatlands and corn fields. I promise pictures of the Mountains when we get to visit.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #22877
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
This song is taken from the New World Symphony. (Dvorak) It is an old slave hymn about dying and going home to Jesus. It was featured all through the Movie Snake Pit. It starred Olivia de Haviland.

Going Home - LNWHymns.com

Hymns by Scripture Reference - 2 Corinthians on LNWHymns.com

The words are beautiful.
I first heard it in the movie Local Hero with music by Mark Knopfler, much brighter and happier connotation of going home, not dying.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #22878
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
It took me a while to take a liking to bagpipes. Probably because the neighbor across from our first apartment would come home from work and instantly start one of her records up loud enough she could hear it all the way back in the bedroom. Or maybe in the bathroom while showering.

That all changed when I worked in a mall. Our little gift wrap center was just off the second-story overlook down to the main floor. Suddenly, we could hear what sounded like a drum-and-bagpipe corps getting louder! We all left our little alcove and headed to the "balcony" to see the event parading in from the main entrance. It was amazing! I have to admit that the acoustics in the mall were good - good enough to make even my singing sound good! Anyway, ever since that day I get chills every time I hear bagpipe music. If you want a listen, here's a clip I found of a group from one of Cleveland's suburbs.
Enough bagpipes for the day or I'll never get to work on time. I was lucky enough to hear the Blackwatch from Scotland when I lived in Laramie, have been a huge fan since of Bagpipes and Tattoos. Give me a drumline and I am happy, add in the pipes and I am ecstatic.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #22879
Master Chef

I spent the morning with the insurance adjuster looking at my vehicle and preparing an estimate of the cost to repair the damage from Friday's accident. Now I have a dilemma, should I repair the three year old vehicle, or put the insurance money in the bank and continue to drive it with my dents and dings. The damage to the rear of the vehicle is purely cosmetic and fairly minor at first glance yet to fix it will cost approximately 20% of the value of the vehicle and once repaired the vehicle will be branded for life by Carfax. I'm thinking the best strategy is to bank the money and drive it until it is six years old then trade it in or sell it outright. I would appreciate your thoughts on how best to approach this. Thanks, B
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #22880
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I spent the morning with the insurance adjuster looking at my vehicle and preparing an estimate of the cost to repair the damage from Friday's accident. Now I have a dilemma, should I repair the three year old vehicle, or put the insurance money in the bank and continue to drive it with my dents and dings. The damage to the rear of the vehicle is purely cosmetic and fairly minor at first glance yet to fix it will cost approximately 20% of the value of the vehicle and once repaired the vehicle will be branded for life by Carfax. I'm thinking the best strategy is to bank the money and drive it until it is six years old then trade it in or sell it outright. I would appreciate your thoughts on how best to approach this. Thanks, B

If you don't fix it, you're driving around in a junky looking car for three years and when you go to trade it in or sell it, you'll get nothing for it as it's damaged.

If you fix it now, it will at least look good while you use it and the trade-in value will be higher. It may be "branded for life by Carfax" but the unfixed damage pretty clearly say "accident" without the need for a Carfax.