"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #2291
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Small kitchen? They should come and live in a studio for the elderly. I am very fortunate in that I have one of the largest kitchens in the building. Some only have counter space no wider than a narrow cabinet. So what I don't get sunshine through my windows. I get to cook in my big kitchen. I even have empty cabinets. The older you get, you either become very grateful for what you have or very bitter for what you lost. I am one of the grateful ones. I could be on the other side of the building where the summer sun comes blaring in and you roast even with the AC on full blast.

I am still alive and with modern medicine, I am feeling really good. I get the usual arse aches that come with old age. But that is what is supposed to happen. Getting old is hard work. No one promised me an easy life.
Bless you for your positive attitude about life.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #2292
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Bless you for your positive attitude about life.
+1!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #2293
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
+1!
Thank you. We have a couple of "old" people here. They are actually younger than me. But they walk around full of anger because they are aging. I stay away from them. I love all the privileges that come with getting old. And combine that with being handicap, it is great. Specially that I can say things and get away with it.

I am having fun now. My kids are grown and self sufficient. I can see the grand kids and know that they will be going home in a matter of an hour or two. I get to run the streets with my scooter and terrorize everyone. I can eat what and when I want. No lunches to pack for work or school. But my favorite thing to do is make a run to the store and when I pass someone who is walking or sitting on their front steps, I slow down and give them a big smile and a cheerful "Good Morning/afternoon." It is the last thing they expect from a total stranger. You can't do that when you stay inside and complain all day, every day. Sometimes if I see someone walking, I slow down to their pace and start up a conversation. One day there was an elderly man sitting on is steps with his walker next to him. He was trying to stand using his walker for balance. I stopped and got off my scooter. I helped him get to his feet. Then I made sure he was going to be all right before I went on my way.

I am always up to making a date with the devil in me. I love to say or do things that make people think. I don't want to harm them. Just shake up their brain a little bit. Their reactions make me laugh in return. I have a sense of humor and I never want to lose it.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #2294
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Addie, you remind me of my paternal grandmother. She had to go into an old people's home because she had cataracts* and they made her blind. She hated it there because, as she put it, it was full of old people. She was the oldest resident.

*This was in the 1980s. The doctors didn't want to perform cataract surgery on her because back then they did a general anaesthetic and they didn't like to do that to someone her age. She tried to explain that she understood the risk, but what was the point of being alive if she was blind? She thought it was worth the risk. She only lived to 104. Her doctor had expected her to live to 130, but she wasn't getting as much exercise when she couldn't see to go for long walks and without the ability to see, she had less motivation to live. She had outlived her friends and made friends with their kids and then outlived them.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #2295
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Addie, you remind me of my paternal grandmother. She had to go into an old people's home because she had cataracts* and they made her blind. She hated it there because, as she put it, it was full of old people. She was the oldest resident.
My Dad had an uncle who lived to within 4 days of his 101st birthday. They took his driver's license away from him at 95 and he was furious! Said that he could out drive anyone 1/3 his age. So, he took the test and passed! Unfortunately a year later he was put into a home because he wasn't able to care for himself properly. He also hated it there because everyone acted old and befuddled. He also was the oldest one there but when we went to celebrate his 99th birthday, he had a mind as sharp as a tack.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #2296
Chef Extraordinaire

My girlfriend's father is 90. He is still driving and goes to work every day. Doesn't miss a day at the office. You don't want to have to negotiate with him. You will lose.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #2297
Sous Chef

Im sitting in my garden today, because it is warm enough and cooking the type of high calorie food we treat ourselves to every Sunday.

Mel
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #2298
Everymom

I'm just out of bed and thankful that there is no headache this morning! I've got my coffee and my laptop, life is good!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #2299
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Trying to decide if I am awake enough to do things (what I'm not sure). I was so proud of myself, I walked straight onto the kitchen and got what I needed to get my coffee. I got back to the coffee pot and I was carrying the cat food fork, not my coffee cup.

So, I'm wondering if there is anyway I can mainline coffee before I get out of bed...
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #2300
Everymom

Keurig on nightstand?