"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #22991
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm getting that house, Dad says it's perfect!!!! I should be able to move right in as soon as we get there. AND the washer and dryer come with the property. Mom said she walked in and decided it was perfect for her Ogres.
Congrats!

It does seem like the perfect digs for you, a little funky and a big kitchen! And the price, that has to be a lot cheaper per month than renting an apartment!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #22992
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
CWS, you deserve some kind of medal for all that work. Or at least a back and foot rub.

taxy and PF, Lingle has less than 500 people? Our neighborhood of six streets probably has more than that!

I'm heading off to bed. Early for me, but I need to switch my time schedule around. Too much to do to be a night owl right now. 'night!
Actually 510 people as of last Census. The town itself is only 0.31 square miles. There might be a little cafe on the next block and the post office is on the other corner of my block on Main St. I fell asleep while looking up these statistics and looking at Google maps. I did find a Google map of Mom out in her yard.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #22993
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
What I seem to be doing lately is having email conversations about Mom. She's 81. Dad died a few years ago, and it's become apparent that she can no longer live alone. She's amenable to going to one sibling to live, and that sibling is willing to have her, but others think she should go directly to assisted living. They all live fairly close together, I'm halfway across the country. I don't feel my input should be primary, but they do want my input. I feel that she should go with this sister and see how it works out. Even if it doesn't, it gives wriggle room for finding the right assisted living place.

I also warned of something none of them seem aware of, and that is the pitfall of becoming financially liable for her long term care, that finances have to be looked at carefully and kept separate. I don't know a lot of details about this and am looking for sources.

Anyone know of any source material on the above? Phone lines, legal aid available to my sister, etc.?
Claire! Good to see you!

Be sure to talk to Aging Services in your mother's area, they should be able to help your sister and mom figure out financial and personal responsibilities. Your sister may need Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care or complete guardianship. The DPOA allows your Mother to continue to be her own person until circumstances change in her mentation and/or health.

My personal insight, I think the Assisted Living facility is the right way to go. People always ask me, "When should I put Mom/Dad in the nursing home/assisted living?" My reply, "The day before you get burned out providing care for them." Burned out family don't visit often

Not the perfect answer but I hope it provides some guidance.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #22994
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Congrats!

It does seem like the perfect digs for you, a little funky and a big kitchen! And the price, that has to be a lot cheaper per month than renting an apartment!
Thank Goodness we are Ogres and not Trolls...all that light would not be beneficial. And windows that look at people, not their feet. Shrek will have a whole two blocks to roam. And the police department/city hall is literally across the street, it has a one woman police force.

A town with no stop lights...
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #22995
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thank Goodness we are Ogres and not Trolls...all that light would not be beneficial. And windows that look at people, not their feet. Shrek will have a whole two blocks to roam. And the police department/city hall is literally across the street, it has a one woman police force.

I suppose the closest you would come to a town rioting is two old codgers arguing how old the newcomers are. No lights to stop you and Mom on your bicycles. Lingle will never be the same after you and Shrek arrive.

And did you notice a fly swatter comes with the house?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #22996
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well, Main street is State Highway 85, also called the Greeley Highway, State Highway 26 and the CanAm Highway. So it might actually have some traffic on the way through. The train tracks are 2 blocks away and a coal train goes through every 20 minutes during the day, they all come back empty at night.

Not even sure Mom has a bicycle...may have to get her one.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #22997
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

Gotta say I was expecting something more swamp like!

I grew up in a town with no stop lights. We had a church, a town office, and a little country store. Rob thought it was very amusing that when we went to get our marriage license, we were greeted at the door by a golden retriever.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #22998
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

I grew up in a town with no stop lights. We had a church, a town office, and a little country store. Rob thought it was very amusing that when we went to get our marriage license, we were greeted at the door by a golden retriever.

Makes sense. Golden Retrievers are smart dogs. They make very good greeters.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #22999
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm going nuts. Mom and Dad are going to lend us the money for a down payment on a house in Lingle or Torrington. Now I need to find a house and hopefully be able to move in quickly. M&D are looking at a place tomorrow for us. It's an old store remodeled into a 1 bedroom/2 bath single family home. 1800 sq feet for 62k. No yard (yeah!)

It is literally in what used to be downtown Lingle, WY. It's oddball and a perfect fit for Shrek and I. The kitchen alone is three times the size of the one I have now.
Woo-Hoo! Love!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #23000
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

City Ogres are a bit more refined...but just a bit.

If I knocked on the door of my future home today, I would be greeted by two mastiffs and the Chief of Police. Mom said it was quite the greeting yesterday when they went to look.