"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #23001
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
PF, how far is it to shop for groceries, etc.? It sounds like you may have to shop to cover longer periods of time.

How about restaurants?
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #23002
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
PF, how far is it to shop for groceries, etc.? It sounds like you may have to shop to cover longer periods of time.

How about restaurants?
The city I will be working in is 20 minutes away, there are grocery stores and restaurants. I will still be able to shop on my way home, same as always. Costco unfortunately will be 2.5 hours away. No more quick rotisserie chicken. Pet Smart is 1.5 hours away in Cheyenne. Walmart in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, takes about 30 minutes to get there.

I may find that some foods are not as available, I have a good stock of chipotle powder, since that was what I couldn't find last time.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #23003
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The city I will be working in is 20 minutes away, there are grocery stores and restaurants. I will still be able to shop on my way home, same as always. Costco unfortunately will be 2.5 hours away. No more quick rotisserie chicken. Pet Smart is 1.5 hours away in Cheyenne. Walmart in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, takes about 30 minutes to get there.

I may find that some foods are not as available, I have a good stock of chipotle powder, since that was what I couldn't find last time.

I feel your pain about Costco. Our nearest one used to be 3 hours away. Now we have one 45 minutes away. It's an ugly stepsister though, and doesn't always have the same stuff as the farther one does.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #23004
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
The beauty is the van my Mom has and we can run down and back the same day. Every other month won't be bad and it will save me some money. Costco is too easy for me right now and I can always find a reason to go out there.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #23005
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The beauty is the van my Mom has and we can run down and back the same day. Every other month won't be bad and it will save me some money. Costco is too easy for me right now and I can always find a reason to go out there.
That's why I'm good with our closest Costco being an hour and a half away.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #23006
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
What are you doing?

We probably do Costco every 3-4 months, now that we have one less than an hour away. We survive. The rotisserie chicken, not so much.

Thankfully, the toilet paper and paper towels last a long time!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #23007
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We probably do Costco every 3-4 months, now that we have one less than an hour away. We survive. The rotisserie chicken, not so much.

Thankfully, the toilet paper and paper towels last a long time!
I have enough TP and PT to last a long time! Plus their mega sizes of shampoo, rinse, body wash, lotion, and makeup remover towelettes. My daughter told me they have a really good cinnamon in their spice section, I haven't tried it yet.

Wow.....has everyone gone to bed early tonight?
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #23008
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
What are you doing?

I'm still resting on my laurels. I may have gotten the second place that I bid on as the guy who beat me by 2 seconds with the auction hasn't shown up yet. In Cozumel which has been our fave for 10 years. The hotel scares me. The hotel is huge, has a fitness room, game room, and each personal room is ocean front with two balconies, 3 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. We may have to invite some other folks. We're used to slumming it downtown in a cheap sleazy hotel, now we'll be rubbing shoulders with the rich folk.

We're just a couple of old hippies. I'm not buying any new clothes.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 AM   #23009
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm still resting on my laurels. I may have gotten the second place that I bid on as the guy who beat me by 2 seconds with the auction hasn't shown up yet. In Cozumel which has been our fave for 10 years. The hotel scares me. The hotel is huge, has a fitness room, game room, and each personal room is ocean front with two balconies, 3 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. We may have to invite some other folks. We're used to slumming it downtown in a cheap sleazy hotel, now we'll be rubbing shoulders with the rich folk.

We're just a couple of old hippies. I'm not buying any new clothes.
From one old hippie to another - if it's a good enough deal, I wouldn't mind laying my head on a nicer pillow at night. I wouldn't buy new clothes, either....LOL....Good luck on your bid, Dawg. You two won't spend much time in the hotel anyway, you'll be out snorkeling, sightseeing, and restauranting...
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:50 AM   #23010
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
...We're just a couple of old hippies. I'm not buying any new clothes.
Why wear clothes at all? Oh, never mind. Probably the same reason why I wouldn't participate in National Garden Naked Day on Saturday.

Cheryl, you know you can rely on me being a night owl! We ran around to Wegmans grocery store and TJs to pick up a few things after an afternoon Mass. By the time we had supper, watched the news, and cleaned up the kitchen I never got to the computer until 1:30 AM. And now I'm sleepy, so goodnight all!
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.