"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #23171
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There you are, Radhuni! We've missed you, welcome back, and enjoy your daughter's summer vacation!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #23172
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sounds more fun than what I am doing
Maybe so. But look at the adventure you are going on.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #23173
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm recuperating from grocery shopping.
I know that feeling very well. I hate shopping. It takes so much out of me. I am doing laundry, and trying to get my apartment in shape for inspection on Thursday. It is yearly inspection time for Management and then in June HUD comes nosing around. Management and I both know that my carpet should be replaced. But as long as I have a chair with wheels for the computer, it will happen again. The carpet in front of the 'puter is a mess, stretched out and full of wrinkles. I know they are there and I don't care. I have never tripped over them. So leave the carpet alone. Just hope HUD doesn't pick my apartment to inspect in June. They will demand that it be replaced in 24 hours and then come back to make sure it was done.

The inspection by Management is a piece of cake. They know I don't give a dang. They just check to see if all door handles work and doors close right, faucets work, toilet flushes, etc. Then they ask me if I have any wants or needs to be fixed. I always tell them no. Just leave me alone and let me live quietly.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #23174
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know that feeling very well. I hate shopping. It takes so much out of me.
Tell HUD you want a dishwasher instead of the garbage disposal.

I am exhausted on Thursdays when I get home from running to China Town, the cash-and-carries, the fishmonger, the butcher, the candlestick maker...oh wait, that's rub-a-dub-tub, three men in a tub...

It isn't the shopping, I've got that down to a science. I call and place my order in advance so all I have to do is go in, pay for it, and load it (or get help loading it). It is the driving, parking, getting in and out of the car, dealing with traffic, and road construction that is so exhausting. And, off-loading everything and putting it away at the kitchen and making sure I got everything. Now that it is hot, I put everything in coolers with ice packs, I have to temp the coolers every hour.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #23175
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
For me, it's mostly the schlepping it into the house and putting it away.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #23176
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Try schlepping 40 lb of cabbage, or asparagus or 50 lb bags of grains, cornmeal, etc., etc. Fortunately I do have a hand cart to use, but I still have to lift the stuff out of the car, onto the cart, balance going up the ramp, and then take it off the handcart and put it away. I don't need to go to the gym...
Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #23177
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Try schlepping 40 lb of cabbage, or asparagus or 50 lb bags of grains, cornmeal, etc., etc. Fortunately I do have a hand cart to use, but I still have to lift the stuff out of the car, onto the cart, balance going up the ramp, and then take it off the handcart and put it away. I don't need to go to the gym...
For me it is the walking up a ramp to start the day. I leave my scooter in the Community Room and then go out the front door. I limp because of my right leg. Walking inside is not too bad. But when I get outside on hard surface, then my leg hurts. The I have to walk when we get to the store through the gates of Hell to get to the electric carts. Now I don't do that anymore. I grab the very first employee and ask him/her if they could please bring me a cart. No problem. They do it.

I know it is not the same, but there is stress driving that cart around when the store is crowded. Asking people to please move, trying to maneuver the cart close enough to the shelves, (like parking for every item) finding help to get me something behind a pallet that is in front of the item I want, or something on the very top shelf at the very top of the stacked cans, trying hard to not knock someone down as I turn a corner for the next aisle, etc. There are days when I look at my list and see I need to get two more items. "Oh to hell with them. I will get them next month. I just want to get out of here."

Fortunately we have a really large grocery cart from some store in the building to bring up the groceries. And God Bless Spike. He puts my all groceries away for me. He chases me out of the kitchen. He has been doing it long enough that he knows where everything goes.

I hate shopping. I even hate making my shopping list. A lot of items I buy every month like sugar and coffee. So they never come off the list. But I do keep a pad by the computer and if I run out of something, or think of an item I need to buy for a recipe, I write it down as reference for when I open the list I keep in the computer. I dread the first of the month.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:11 AM   #23178
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
... I'll be old and grey before I give up nursing my elderlies.
I guess that means you aren't quitting until you become one of them, right PF?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #23179
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Management and I both know that my carpet should be replaced. But as long as I have a chair with wheels for the computer, it will happen again...
Next time one of the kids wants to get you something, ask for an office rug protector. We have always had one underneath the rolling chair by the computer to save the carpeting. Works like a charm. We got ours at Staples, but I think any office supply company would have them. Maybe even in the bigger Targets.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 AM   #23180
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm recuperating from grocery shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...And, off-loading everything and putting it away at the kitchen and making sure I got everything...
Quote:
I feel the same way, which is why I fell in love with my most recent signature.