"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #23241
Master Chef

I'm listening to the Cavaliers/Hawks basketball game. IF they win tonight, they could conceivably finish off the series Tuesday while playing at home in Cleveland. That would put them into the NBA championship round! Although baseball is my first love, Cleveland has gone through such a long drought without a sports champion (since 1964) that I would be happy with basketball.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:40 AM   #23242
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Here there aren't a lot of samples. Besides, I find them annoying, 'cause I have to read the ingredients on the package before tasting. There is soy in so much stuff it isn't funny.
Being diabetic and on diet control alone, I don't do samples as I don't know what is in them. When I look at the carb levels sometimes, I run in the opposite direction.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #23243
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy and any other member that lives in Massachusetts. At the end of June most of the people who serve us little folks at the Registry and other Commonwealth offices, will be retiring. As of this date there is no plan in place to replace them. The severance package is too sweet for them to keep working. The Governor is determined to bring the budget under control. So if you have business with any of the agencies, start now or you are going to find yourself standing in long, long lines. My daughter does the Cory reports for the State Police and registrations for car dealerships. She also handles setting up appointments for hearing for folks who are trying to get their license back. She spoke to her supervisor and asked her (who is also retiring) if she is going to send someone to her desk to train them to take over her job. "I don't know. I will have to ask my supervisor (who is also retiring)."

This whole plan has not been well thought out. If any of you receive Medicaid or MassHealth, and need information or services, do it now. Or you may not get the service you are in need of. If you are planning on purchasing a new vehicle, do it now. There may be no one available to help you register it. If the car dealership doesn't register the new vehicles coming from the manufacturer, then you can't register it either. If the Registry doesn't have the information from the dealership in their system, then, Oh Well!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #23244
Honey Badger

Shopping for an electric lawn mower.
Does anyone here own one?
The pro's I see for switching from gas to electric are.

1.)No more trying to pour gas from a huge container to a smaller more manageable one. I always end up spilling some.

2.)No more oil checking

3.)When it doesn't start no more cleaning the filters or carburetors.Buying a new spark plug

4.)No more broken pull cords

5.)Fire season is here.Don't want to worry about that possibility

My gas mower is beyond dead.I've done everything that's possible to do to get it started again.Enough is enough.

So I'm thinking of buying an electric one.Not too sure about it though I've never owned one.Anything in particular that I should be looking for?

This is one of the models I'm looking at.
Amazon.com : GreenWorks 25142 10 Amp Corded 16-Inch Lawn Mower : Walk Behind Lawn Mowers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I like how it folds down. And that's it fairly lightweight for my use.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #23245
Certified Pretend Chef

How much grass do you have to cut/how long of a cord do you need? Are there a lot of trees/shrubs/etc in the lawn area that a cord could get wrapped around? Also, there is some effort required to drag a long cord around the yard.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #23246
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
How much grass do you have to cut/how long of a cord do you need? Are there a lot of trees/shrubs/etc in the lawn area that a cord could get wrapped around? Also, there is some effort required to drag a long cord around the yard.
Not sure the exact measurement of the back yard.It's a very large area.It is a wrap around.First side I'd say it's about 6x18'.Back continues on it's the largest spot.Even wider, longer stretch.Other side is about the same as the first.We've removed all the trees (neighbors killed the whole section)They owe me 9.The back yard no longer has grass.Just tall, thick weeds now.That need to be cut down. Removed. We've had to let it go because of the drought.The sprinkler system heads drop back into the ground.They shouldn't be a problem.

The front yard is a small one.The size of an average driveway. Free and clear of trees and bushes.We have them.They just won't be in the way.
We do have outlets on all sides of the house for the cords.Plenty in stock.Wound and ready to go.

What I really don't get is the AMP's this one is 10.They have others with batteries. Don't think I want one of those.

I feel like I'm dumbing down not buying a new gas mower.They've all I've ever known.But I'd also like to not get hurt trying to start a mower that's old 15.It's had it's fun.Time to move on and go easy for a change

Does this one look cheap?I see it's made in China.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #23247
Certified Pretend Chef

From what I can read, this is a push mower, the wheels are not power driven so you have to push the mower and pull the cord through the grass. That can be tiring.

The 10 amps is the power rating, like horsepower. I don't know if it will have enough power to cut through the heavy weeds without bogging down. That is, if you can push it through the weeds.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #23248
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
From what I can read, this is a push mower, the wheels are not power driven so you have to push the mower and pull the cord through the grass. That can be tiring.

The 10 amps is the power rating, like horsepower. I don't know if it will have enough power to cut through the heavy weeds without bogging down. That is, if you can push it through the weeds.

Thanks Andy.Appreciate the help.
Looks like what I need is someone to open the RV gate and disk the whole thing up for me.Without taking the sprinkler system with it.

The front yard that mower would have been a breeze.
It's a shame the local landscaper retired.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #23249
Master Chef

Forget a new mower, Chef Munky. What you probably could use are a few of these:

Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #23250
Honey Badger

Hey, yeah!
Each has 5 AMP's.Together they're the 15 AMP Dynamic Duo.
Munky's yard to the rescue! LOL!

Righty O Sir!

I wouldn't let those cuties work. I'd be too busy hugging them.
Look I have a new pet. Ennie. Meenie. Miney, and.. sorry we lost Mo in the last yard.