"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #23271
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Dang. I couldn't find the original recipe, but here's what I'm doing:

Dumped, boiled up, strained and drained a whole bunch of Keurig cups we didn't like for coffee. Didn't care for the Newmans. I used about 9 K cups, and a half pot of water in a 4 quart pot.

Added about a cup of brown sugar, and a quarter cup of agave syrup, along with a couple of split vanilla beans. You could probably use vanilla extract. Right now I'm waiting for the mix to reduce. After it cools, I'll strain it again and add vodka.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #23272
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. It never occurred to me to make Kahlua at home. Can't wait to give it a try I have homemade vanilla extract so I'll use that.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #23273
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

GG, wish I could send you a taste. Even without booze, it's outstanding! I see a white Russian in my near future.

It's a great way to use up coffees that aren't something you would usually drink.

A lot of the Kahlua recipes online use instant coffee. I like mine better!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:38 PM   #23274
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Do you have a sewing machine? Quilting isn't that hard, though it isn't my thing. Get some quilt batting and a sheet that fits the back. Or maybe find someone who quilts, there are many who love it, and would be happy to finish it for you. Good luck, these are treasures!

I saw a post on Pinterest where the person used masking tape on the cloth as a seam guide. Made sense to me!
No sewing machine here - I think I'll take it to a quilt shop here in town. The ladies there do wonderful work, and know their stuff.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #23275
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
No sewing machine here - I think I'll take it to a quilt shop here in town. The ladies there do wonderful work, and know their stuff.

Then I would go for it! Sleep with your "new" quilt.

I think we don't use our stuff enough. You reminded me to rotate my quilt, Cheryl, thanks!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #23276
Executive Chef

If anything ever happened to DH I would either have to hire someone to cut the grass or get an electric mower. Right now I'm leaning toward hiring someone. I would never want to play around with gasoline.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #23277
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
If anything ever happened to DH I would either have to hire someone to cut the grass or get an electric mower. Right now I'm leaning toward hiring someone. I would never want to play around with gasoline.

Our yard is so lumpy and sloped, I would hire someone to mow it too.

Right now, we have a few neighbor kids I could hire. But they're growing up fast, and DH is still capable of mowing, though he complains bitterly.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #23278
Certified Pretend Chef

One of the greatest pleasures of condo living is that I don't have to do any yard work or pool care, and very little snow shoveling.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #23279
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

DH needs something to complain bitterly about. Mowing and snow shoveling make his life complete.

Need to make some more hummingbird food, I see the feeder is empty. I bought a new one this year.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #23280
Certified Cake Maniac

TB bought a tiny electric mower from a garage sale a couple of years ago. It is perfect for our tiny bit of grass we had put in for Violet.

I am enjoying a little peace for a few minutes while TB, Violet and our weekend guest go for a walk. Every Thursday night we have our friend Kay's almost 4 year old son stay for an over night. The on Saturdays we pick up his 5 year old sister for the night. This gives Kay a chance to have one on one time with her kids and to get some housework done! And it gives us kid time which is great! This is a very sad situation with an abusive husband/father who is now totally out of the picture. But there are still pieces to pick up from the damage he caused.

We will probably take her to the park again before taking her home.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote