"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #23411
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I started out on a spreadsheet program I don't remember the name of then moved on to Lotus 1-2-3 and then Excel. For a guy who's as weird about numbers as I am, spreadsheets are a great toy to play with.
VisiCalc or Multiplan? My dad is a financial advisor for a school system in the '80s. I remember him telling me about the spreadsheets he was using at work - he was so excited!

I was a spreadsheet expert for a while, but then I started doing graphic and website design and left it behind. DH has surpassed me; part of his job is analyzing science test data for the school system.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #23412
Certified Pretend Chef

It may have been Visicalc, not sure. I was so excited when we got our first IBM PC in the office. It took a 5.25" floppy and had minimal RAM but we were amazed at what we could do.

Our first home computer was an Apple IIC "for the kids to do their homework". It had a 9" monitor. Yikes.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #23413
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Talk of fried baloney always reminds me of this story. A few guys were discussing the virtues and drawbacks of "cowboy steak". At some point Friend 1 said, "It's good poor people food." Friend 2 looks shocked, "You eat baloney when you have money. When you're poor you eat salmon." (Friend 2 lives on a reserve that is known for its salmon run.)
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #23414
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Talk of fried baloney always reminds me of this story. A few guys were discussing the virtues and drawbacks of "cowboy steak". At some point Friend 1 said, "It's good poor people food." Friend 2 looks shocked, "You eat baloney when you have money. When you're poor you eat salmon." (Friend 2 lives on a reserve that is known for its salmon run.)
That is funny. But I can see the logic in it. When I was a kid, we ate lobster when there was no money.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #23415
Master Chef

I've been watching the basketball game all night. OMG has it been super-exciting! I sure hope this game doesn't go into overtime. My heart is already stressed from games one and two each needing an extra 5 minutes. Gah!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #23416
Sous Chef

I just painted a small piece of wood about 1/4 thick, 3 inches long and 7 inches wide that says, "My windows aren't dirty; that's my dog's nose art."

I hung this up in our bay window.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 AM   #23417
Certified Cake Maniac

I am back to having to keep a close watch on my blood sugar again. It has been spiking pretty high and I have been staying true to my diet. I really do not want to have to go to taking medications for it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #23418
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Moving Day...moving out of the Motel and into a temporary studio apartment for the next month. Will be able to move into our house on July 10th, before closing, on a rent to own basis.

Things are starting to move along, finally. Got my first paycheck and am enjoying my job. I found my Great Grandmother's name plaque on the Memorial Board at the facility, made me feel comforted...I am where I should be.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #23419
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Moving Day...moving out of the Motel and into a temporary studio apartment for the next month. Will be able to move into our house on July 10th, before closing, on a rent to own basis.

Things are starting to move along, finally. Got my first paycheck and am enjoying my job. I found my Great Grandmother's name plaque on the Memorial Board at the facility, made me feel comforted...I am where I should be.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #23420
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Addie, you reminded me of an old calculator that was still used in the late '60s and early '70s in Denmark. Did you ever use one of these calculators? I thought they were very nifty.

I had me one of those at my very first job. My job was to create marked up prices (not mark on) which required division. My machine suddenly decided to go on the fritz. 1/1 = .99999999999999999999999999. I remember we had to get a serviceman to come and fix it.

It was noisy too!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote