"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #23451
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Andy, I'm happy for you all that your grandson had that problem caught and fixed. Hope he continues with good health.

Cheryl, sounds like you all have a wonderfully fun day ahead. And aren't you the generous one, what with all those deviled eggs. They must have cost as much as everything else combined!
Thanks, CG, it's going to be a great day with all the friends and family.

I already had two dozen eggs, but when I went to the store to buy another dozen I still kind of had the shock factor to see they've gone up from $2.50/dz. to $4.00.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:02 AM   #23452
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wow Andy, that must have been quite a scare. Glad to read things are going well.

Cheryl, I got tired just reading all the stuff you did. Enjoy your party.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #23453
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, prayers for your grandson and your family. Been there, done that. Not a fun place to be. So glad to hear of the happy ending. BTW, a couple of angels for him and the family. They worked for me and my daughter, I know they will work for you and yours.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #23454
Certified Pretend Chef

Thank you all for your kind words.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #23455
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm waiting for Stirling to get dressed. We are taking my sister for a sight seeing drive along the lake shore. She's visiting for a few days from California. I haven't seen her since January 2011.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #23456
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm waiting for Stirling to get dressed. We are taking my sister for a sight seeing drive along the lake shore. She's visiting for a few days from California. I haven't seen her since January 2011.
Enjoy!

I'm preparing for a friend coming over. I haven't seen her since 2008. It's nice to see someone after so long, isn't it?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #23457
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Just returned from the local farmers market with a quart of strawberries and a dozen large brown eggs.

The berries are hulled, sliced and chilling in the fridge, I'm dreaming about an ice cold dish of them under a billowy cloud of whipped cream.

Oh how I miss those warm baking powder biscuits slathered with butter and covered with strawberries and whipped cream!

When we were kids my mother would make strawberry shortcake for our Sunday dinner once or twice during strawberry season, nothing else just shortcake. She filled her big 1950's yellow pyrex bowl with sweetened strawberries and the red pyrex bowl was filled with whipped cream. The huge baking powder biscuits were made to fit into a rimmed soup plate by using a coffee can or large tomato can as the cutter. We would carry everything out into the back yard and eat under an ancient apple tree in the yard. Today a set of those old pyrex bowls will set you back quite a few bucks on Ebay. I guess I'm not the only person that has memories of them. It's funny how we give value and power to things from our past that trigger memories of happy times.
Growing up in Maine, biscuits were almost always used for strawberry shortcake, yeah some people would cheat and make a cake mix, but the biscuits were always my favorite way to eat shortcake. Imagine my surprise when I moved to the south, the land of delicious biscuits, doesn't eat their shortcake this way! I've converted quite a few people to shortcake made with biscuits, as this is really what a "shortcake" is.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #23458
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Getting ready for company. Going to grill some burgers served on homemade buns with all the fixings. Made a baked potato salad to go with.

Dessert is this cherry chocolate trifle recipe from Nigella Lawson. The chocolate custard is AMAZING, deep chocolate flavor. The custard is a bit fussy with it being thickened by egg yolks only, but well worth the effort. The only changes made was Kirsch instead of cherry brandy and since my trifle bowl was a bit more narrow, I made more layers.

Can't wait to get eating!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #23459
Master Chef

bakechef, I just glanced over that trifle recipe. Gained two pounds.

I hear you on the biscuits-for-strawberry-shortcakes. My Mom made one that was just a wee bit sweet, and oh-so-tender. I get married, and what does Himself prefer? Those stinkin' sponges they sell in the four- or 6-count packages. Yuck. We compromise and have angel food cake or Sarah Lee's pound cake. Every once in a while I'm nice and get sponges for him, but then I have to keep it even by making biscuits for me.

Have a nice visit with your company.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #23460
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
Enjoy!

I'm preparing for a friend coming over. I haven't seen her since 2008. It's nice to see someone after so long, isn't it?
Thanks. Enjoy the time with your friend.

« Midnite Oil Cafe | - »