"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #23471
Master Chef

I suppose I was a bit dramatic with the "total fail" part, right taxy?

All the details are in the "What are you baking" thread. In summary, barely rose, pretty wet inside, but it was cooked.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #23472
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

We went to see a really good band play at a local art museum. They were amazing! They are out of Texas, and have a sound like Little Feat. They actually asked to play in our little town, then they're off to places like MPLS and Chicago.

It was potluck. We saw a few folks we knew, and asked why they didn't tell us about this? Apparently a well guarded secret!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #23473
Sous Chef

I'm watching my dog go crazy. There's a very small opossum in the back yard, and she wanted to play with it. She got down on her elbows with her tail going a hundred miles an hour, but the little opossum didn't seem to want to play. He/she ran away and hid under the deck, and he/she is still there.

Poor little thing. He/she is very, very small and probably terrified.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #23474
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's about 07h here. I'm getting ready to drive my sister to the airport. We want to be out the door by 07h45. Flight's at ~11h, but with having to be there a couple of hours before the flight, we have to consider rush hour. Without traffic, this would be a 15 minute drive. I don't usually get up until 09h30. If this post doesn't make any sense, it's because I'm not really awake yet.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #23475
Chef Extraordinaire

Traffic wasn't bad. The round trip to the airport was just under an hour. I'll be checking flight status until my sister is home in SoCal. It was good to see her.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #23476
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's about 07h here...I don't usually get up until 09h30. If this post doesn't make any sense, it's because I'm not really awake yet.
I barely make sense until hours after I've been awake. I half-kidding tell people I'm not functional until after noon whether I get up at 9:00 or 11:45. Not that I make a habit of the 11:45 time... Happy for you that you and your sister had a nice visit. Now will you reciprocate by visiting her in CA?

I've wasted more time today, busy watching my little patch of Eden. Filled most of the bird feeders and have been visited by a lot of critters and birds. The best part was watching a beautiful, iridescent green hummingbird perch on the feeder and enjoy a long lunch. Must have been there almost five full minutes! Nearly got dive-bombed by a titmouse too! As I was leaning over, snapping the lid on the tub we keep seed in, he swooped towards the feeder. I didn't hear him coming, was straightening up, and he veered just in time to avoid running smack into me!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #23477
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I barely make sense until hours after I've been awake. I half-kidding tell people I'm not functional until after noon whether I get up at 9:00 or 11:45. Not that I make a habit of the 11:45 time... Happy for you that you and your sister had a nice visit. Now will you reciprocate by visiting her in CA?

She owes me a few more visits. I've been to visit her a number of times since her last visit, for my wedding in 1997.
Quote:
I've wasted more time today, busy watching my little patch of Eden. Filled most of the bird feeders and have been visited by a lot of critters and birds. The best part was watching a beautiful, iridescent green hummingbird perch on the feeder and enjoy a long lunch. Must have been there almost five full minutes! Nearly got dive-bombed by a titmouse too! As I was leaning over, snapping the lid on the tub we keep seed in, he swooped towards the feeder. I didn't hear him coming, was straightening up, and he veered just in time to avoid running smack into me!
Sounds lovely. Glad the titmouse veered in time. Did you give it some seeds?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #23478
Master Chef

Don't worry taxy, all the feeders are chock-full. At least until the squirrels get to them again.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #23479
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Picked some wild black raspberries from the field up by the road. I got about a pint. I would have picked more, but the mosquitoes were horrid, not something you want to battle while picking raspberries.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #23480
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Picked some wild black raspberries from the field up by the road. I got about a pint. I would have picked more, but the mosquitoes were horrid, not something you want to battle while picking raspberries.
Wild raspberries/blackberries grow wild all over Western Washington state. Even on the edge of the property where I lived. But you had to wear gloves several layers thick to pick any of them. But they were so good. (Except for the huge thorns.)