"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #23491
Master Chef

I was just reading about the fire down your way earlier, Kay. Glad everyone is OK and no structures have burned. 'tis that time of year here.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #23492
Master Chef

Yep, tiz the season to be sure. The difference is in all my many years here, thankfully I've never felt personally threatened before today seeing flames from my porch. wow.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #23493
Chef Extraordinaire

I will every so often jokingly refer to the seasons of California. The rainy season, the mud slide season, the dry season and the fire season. But deep down my heart breaks when I see the damage that these seasons can and do create. My heart breaks for the people living in those areas. My girlfriend lives in Orange County and fortunately she lives in a rather flat area just a couple of blocks from the ocean. She is not in any of those areas except maybe rain, that have one of those seasons. But that doesn't stop me from worrying about her.

With the major, major drought you folks are in, I can't help but worry what is going to happen in the next year or two for California. Today was just a small taste of things to come if your water situation doesn't improve real soon.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #23494
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wow Kayelle, that must have been scary.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:51 AM   #23495
Master Chef

Now after it's over, I'm thinking about the sound of the burning. Not something I ever want to hear again, to be sure.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #23496
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Now after it's over, I'm thinking about the sound of the burning. Not something I ever want to hear again, to be sure.
Yeah....the sound of the popping and crackling. That sticks in the mind after the danger of the fire is gone. My SIL is a firefighter and he says the same thing.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:51 AM   #23497
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sous Chef and I are just settling down from all the fire excitement today....Steve had his radio scanner keeping track of all going on. In all, 152 acres has now burned, and passed us now. Pheww......
I'm glad you dodged that bullet, Kayelle. When they talked about the fires on the news tonight I thought of you guys, and Cheryl, and generally everyone out there in the fire-prone zone. If only there was a way to move some of those Texas rain clouds out to your dry areas...

I pickled today. Not me, but the Kirby cucumbers I bought a couple days ago. I put them together today and now they are nestled under a towel in the basement. The recipe my friend gave to me said to tuck them into a corner of the kitchen for four days, then taste to see if they are done to your liking. Since Dad always left his in the basement to cure, that's where I put ours. I'll check them for brine level every day, then sample a bit on Saturday since they're in a cooler spot than the kitchen. Meanwhile, since it's summer, I'm in the basement a lot. In fact, I'm smelling those things right now...and it smells just like I remember.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #23498
Certified Pretend Chef

It's our grandson's last day of school and I'm off to pick him up.

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks!"
Old 06-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #23499
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's our grandson's last day of school and I'm off to pick him up.

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks!"
Oh gee, thanks for the ear worm. I'll return the favour with one with a similar rhythm. A friend claims this is the TSA motto.

You can't see London,
You can't see France,
Until we see your underpants.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #23500
Master Chef

Got up this morning to the foul smell of smoke in the house. I thought it smelled bad inside until we went out on the porch. Pewwww!!