"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #23531
Master Chef

Sounds like a great way to spend a dreary day! I hear that's a great movie.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #23532
Chef Extraordinaire

We really enjoyed it. I think if I saw it in 3-D, though, the dinosaurs might have chased me out of the theater!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #23533
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I got there about 30 minutes after they opened and they were out of watermelons already. Got some peaches instead. Only $2/lb. for that beautiful, organic, fresh picked stone fruit.
I still have memories of biting into a fresh picked peach still warm from the sun and have the juices run down my arms. Then go get another one. No pesticides either.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #23534
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished talking to my daughter. She retired Friday from the Registry of Motor Vehicles after 33 years of working for the State. Seventy-six people retired from the Registry. The Registrar gave them a big party for all the retirees. She called off their names one by one with the years of service they all had and then called out the name of the workers who had died and couldn't be there for the party. My daughter also had a private party at a restaurant and she got a lot of gifts along with $100. But she still isn't done. There are more private parties she has to attend for herself and other retirees. She is more exhausted from all the partying than she would be from work. She did say that she was shocked when she woke up it was 8:30 a.m. She hadn't slept that late in years.

The Registry is not going to replace any people for the positions that are empty now. The work will be dispersed to the workers left. A "No Hire" policy is in place. So glad I don't work there.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #23535
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We really enjoyed it. I think if I saw it in 3-D, though, the dinosaurs might have chased me out of the theater!

We really enjoyed it too. The 3D was cool. I found myself swatting branches out of the way and pushing away dino noses
Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #23536
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I still have memories of biting into a fresh picked peach still warm from the sun and have the juices run down my arms. Then go get another one. No pesticides either.
My mom's living in SC. She called me a couple weeks ago to tell me that she found a roadside stand with delicious peaches picked that day for $1 per pound. Something tells me that she'll be eating a lot of peaches this summer!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #23537
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom's living in SC. She called me a couple weeks ago to tell me that she found a roadside stand with delicious peaches picked that day for $1 per pound. Something tells me that she'll be eating a lot of peaches this summer!
Peach shortcake with those fluffy Bakewell Cream biscuits and a big dollop of whipped cream!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #23538
Master Chef

We decided that the pickles were ready to move from the crock in the basement, tuck into an old jar, and put into the refrigerator. Won't be sharing this recipe yet - the "pucker power" needs to be adjusted with a teeny bit more salt and a little less vinegar. It also needs REAL dill, but this time of year I'm pretty much restricted to the seeds from a jar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-30 19.00.08.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	23056  
Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #23539
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Peach shortcake with those fluffy Bakewell Cream biscuits and a big dollop of whipped cream!

That does sound wonderful! I'll bring my can of Bakewell the next time I go down

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #23540
Master Chef

Being completely lazy, enjoying the dark, cloudy day. I was awakened at 4AM by a huge desert thunderstorm. Lightning lit up my bedroom like it was daylight, it was spectacular! I went ahead and got up so I could watch it and enjoy the storm and rainfall. Going to put a load of laundry in the washer, empty the dishwasher, and take a little nap.