"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #23561
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Just spent about an hour at a condo association party. Ho hum. Ate a couple of uninteresting hot dogs on white buns.
Gee, you sure know how to have fun. Please don't ask me to go with you to any function. I will be busy that day.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #23562
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Gee, you sure know how to have fun. Please don't ask me to go with you to any function. I will be busy that day.
We weren't expecting better. I'll be sure only to invite you to something I think will be fun. Ask CWS.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #23563
Chef Extraordinaire

We finally got a chance to explore a newish Asian supermarket, Marché Sheng Tai. They are both a wholesaler and retailer. Lots and lots of kinds of stuff and lots of variety.

I bought a small (tomato paste size) tin of harirsa sauce, some sesame seed oil, some chili oil, a garlic press, and some duck wings. The duck wings were half the price of chicken wings!

Now I'm all set to make Dragon Lady Kitchen blog: SESAME NOODLES, which people were raving about here a while back.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:17 AM   #23564
Master Chef

Those duck wings are probably a whole lot meatier, too! Nice little bonus.

Isn't it fun exploring a store like that? We have to drive almost an hour to get to the closest H-Mart, but it's like a trip to the Pacific rim. So many interesting things. Sometimes that's good, sometimes a little odd. Still and adventure!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #23565
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Those duck wings are probably a whole lot meatier, too! Nice little bonus.

Isn't it fun exploring a store like that? We have to drive almost an hour to get to the closest H-Mart, but it's like a trip to the Pacific rim. So many interesting things. Sometimes that's good, sometimes a little odd. Still and adventure!
Yes, it's great fun exploring a store like that. Stirling doesn't usually come shopping with me, but this was an "outing" for him. (He telecommutes from home for his job.)
Old 07-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #23566
Master Chef

Finished up Batch 2 of dill pickles. The crock is cooling its heels in the basement. After being able to detect mostly vinegar with the first batch, I adjusted the recipe. As a bonus, I had real, fresh dill heads from the little plant I have sitting in a pot on my porch! Hopefully the adjustments work. I don't think it will be quite like my Dad's yet, since I forgot to get rye bread. No slice under the plate for the first night.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #23567
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished baking a three layer Hershey's chocolate cake. I have the frosting all made. I will frost it in the morning. Right now I am tired. I mixed it all by hand until I had it all blended. Both cake and frosting. My arm is now laying on the floor. I hate to use the mixer for the cake at the beginning. Flour and cocoa all over the place. Might be more work, but less work for cleanup. Same goes for the frosting.

Right now Pirate has the Saturday Night Fights on. Oh, so much joy in my life. Just what I love to see. Two grown men beating the crap out of each other. Time for me to find something to do. Out in the kitchen preferably. I shouldn't complain. He could be doing worse. As a recovering drug addict I am grateful for every straight day he has. If this is the worse, I will gladly take it. When he was in H.S., he got into boxing. It helped keep him off the streets. And he has never lost his interest in the sport.

Back to the kitchen. Bowls and other good stuff in the sink looking to be washed.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #23568
Honey Badger

We've spent the last 2 days shopping around test driving several types of new jeeps.Were going to have it ordered to our specifications.

I can't wait to actually say while I'm driving and tooting the horn.BEEP-BEEP.I'm a Jeep!
My Gr is absolutely going to love riding shot gun with Mom in it.
Knowing him he's probably going to want to drive it.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #23569
Master Chef

My 13 year old grandson and I played games today (Crazy Eights, Go Fish, Connect Four, Sorry, Trouble and A Trivia Game about Presidents). And much to his happiness, he beat me at every game. Oh well, I had a good time just spending time with him.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #23570
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Unpacking from our Cozumel trip. We stayed in a condo up north for the first time, instead of downtown where the action is, and both DH and I found we did not need nearly all the clothes we packed. Downtown, we don't want to wear the same stuff every day. Up north is much more isolated and quiet, so it's much easier to get by with limited clothing selections.

The upside, it makes for much less laundry to be done!