"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #23741
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've heard of boneless chicken thighs, but boneless legs?
Yeah, evidently they were very large legs. These pieces were even larger than the boneless thighs. I am shaking my head also. But I am not complaining. At $.99 a pound for both, I will gladly take it. They are all wrapped individually and in the freezer.

As I have been wrapping the meat in individual pieces, I have just been tossing them in the freezer. Today, it all comes out and goes in neatly. I can double the room in there just by being neat. Why didn't I do that in the first place? Twice the work.

Today I have been on a tear. Folding laundry and putting it away, clean the whole kitchen, moving furniture, on and on. I got everything done that I wanted to. All that is left is the freezer.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #23742
Head Chef

I've been tackling obstacles to light overshadowing my young fig tree - mostly emanating from next door's garden growth. I have pruned back their japanese knotweed and bashed back the brambles!

The garden belongs to an elderly lady who has poor eyesight and is not a gardener. I doubt if she even knows that she has a Japanese knotweed tree there! I don't mind the brambles so much since they provide a lot of blackberries (after which I tend to bash down the bush).

Now, if there were only fig wasps around to pollinate the figs....

Old 08-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #23743
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Sounds like fun! Have a good time and watch out for the plague!
Girl Being Treated for Plague after Trip to Yosemite - NBC News
Yup, bubonic plague has been endemic in California wildlife at least since the '50s. Remember I warned CatPat about that when she petted a squirrel? I didn't realize it was a west side of the U.S. thing. I figure Cheryl knows to be careful.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #23744
Master Chef

creative, I've never heard of a Japanese knotweed tree, so I googled it. A few sites said it is invasive to England and is choking out the native plants. I bet you could rip that whole thing out and do both yourself and your elderly neighbor a big favor. If she yells at you, tell her "some evil American" said you should.

Quote:
I've heard of boneless chicken thighs, but boneless legs?
When I first read that I thought "huh"? Then I thought back to all of the times I have stared, transfixed, at Jacques Pepin's nimble fingers deboning an entire chicken whole! Amazing skill. Something I would not attempt unless I had an alternate recipe using chopped, raw chicken.

After busying myself with too many things the last couple of days, I'm back to pricing stuff for "the sale". I've discovered I have too many collector items that really need to be priced at more than a dollar or two. I've been searching the web seeing what they are going for at sites like eBay or Rubylane, then pricing them 1/3 or so based on the lowest value on the web. Of course, ALL prices will be negotiable, because anything gone is one less item to pay the trash hauler to get rid of.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #23745
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
creative, I've never heard of a Japanese knotweed tree, so I googled it. A few sites said it is invasive to England and is choking out the native plants. I bet you could rip that whole thing out and do both yourself and your elderly neighbor a big favor. If she yells at you, tell her "some evil American" said you should.
I just heard about Japanese knotwood a couple of days ago. Apparently ripping it out is not a good idea. That tends to spread them more.

"Crews from the district of Sechelt, B.C. attempted a chemical-free strategy to remove the plant that was discovered at Mission Point Park, MacLean’s Magazine reports. Knotweed was dug out to a depth of about three metres. However, the following year park officials reported the plant had in fact doubled in size." from News - Meet invasive plant causing harm to homes and property value - The Weather Network
Old 08-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #23746
Master Chef

Yikes! Guess sometimes you really need to call on weed killers.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #23747
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Sounds like the British version of Kudzu!

I'm facing the neverending weed battle too. The mosquitoes don't make it easy.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #23748
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yes this plant is VERY hard to kill off i.e. takes persistence and many chemical treatments, i.e. not as simple as ripping the whole thing out. Never mind...it is largely her problem and I can trim it back when need be.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #23749
Master Chef

I'm emptying closets and packing things for the charity shop!!!

I have been in my apartment for five years, this month, and have not needed or missed most of the items that were put into the closets when I moved in.

It's time for it to go while I can still shift it under my own steam!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #23750
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I finally found the box with all my dishes in it and now I'm too tired to unpack it.