"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #23751
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I finally found the box with all my dishes in it and now I'm too tired to unpack it.
Leave it all in the garage and just bring things in as you need them.

At the end of six months call the Goodwill to come get everything that is left in the garage!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #23752
Senior Cook

I'm headed to the gym. I found a new app for my iPhone and I'm hoping that it will assist in logging my weightlifting and running.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #23753
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm emptying closets and packing things for the charity shop!!!

I have been in my apartment for five years, this month, and have not needed or missed most of the items that were put into the closets when I moved in.

It's time for it to go while I can still shift it under my own steam!
I have a closet like that. Clothes hanging that I haven't worn for years. Too big. Boxes with pictures that I haven't looked at in almost 15 years. A set of antique children's dishes. I wonder if my kids will even realize that they do have a value to them. It may not be much, but it will be worth their effort to take it to a shop and sell them. A few Delft pieces that should be sold, etc. I also have an antique tablecloth that was hand designed and embroidered. The needle work is exquisite. I also have the wheelchair that I swore I would never sit in again. So why am I holding on to it? It only has bitter memories for me.

Time for a good house cleaning. The clothes can go in the Planet Earth box up at the Boys and Girls Club playground. The clothes are cleaned and given to women who don't have the proper clothing to look for a job. All my clothes are clothes I wore for work.

Thanks Aunt Bea for causing me to look into myself. Time for a housecleaning.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #23754
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm getting ready to go help out with a children's gardening project. A group of other master gardeners have been working with some kids at the YMCA growing cucumbers; last year, they did popcorn. Today, a local restaurant owner is going to pickle the kids' cucumbers (they can't handle the knives or heat) and I volunteered to help them fill their jars, etc. I also made labels they can put on the jars with space for them to put their names. Should be fun
Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #23755
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm getting ready to go help out with a children's gardening project. A group of other master gardeners have been working with some kids at the YMCA growing cucumbers; last year, they did popcorn. Today, a local restaurant owner is going to pickle the kids' cucumbers (they can't handle the knives or heat) and I volunteered to help them fill their jars, etc. I also made labels they can put on the jars with space for them to put their names. Should be fun
That sounds like an awesome day. Our local YMCA has a similar project. The kids get to take some of their produce to the Farmers Market which is just across the street from their gardens. Or they can take it home to their family. They have a Master Gardener available year round. The kids also get to plant herbs in pots during the school year and pick the results and bring them home.

Working with kids is so rewarding. Lots of fun. I love to see their faces when they discover something new that they accomplished.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #23756
Master Chef

Quote:
Probably too late for this year but this is a fun project for kids.

You insert a tiny cucumber, still attached to the plant, into the clean bottle and let it grow to full size. The bottle acts as a greenhouse so the cucumber tends to grow quickly. When it fills the bottle snip the stem, fill the bottle with vinegar and cork/cap it tightly.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #23757
Master Chef

Cute idea, Aunt Bea!

Yay, I can see the back of the cabinet that used to be full of unpriced garage sale stuff! It's been priced and moved to a shelving unit I cleared out just for that purpose. Don't rejoice yet, I still have a tower of stuff on an old coffee table that now needs to be priced and moved into the cabinet. Then I can price the coffee table...and then pile it up as I price items from the old fish tank stand...and the drum table...and the old chair that I need to clean off and price...and.....

Quote:
I'm getting ready to go help out with a children's gardening project...
I bet there's a Girl Scout troop out there just dying for your help. You don't have to have a daughter to be a Girl Scout leader.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #23758
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a cool idea, Aunt Bea! 😎

Yay, CG! You're getting there! ☺

Girl Scouts, eh? I think that would require more of a regular commitment than I can manage. I really need to pace myself. I buy cookies every year from my neighbor's daughter, though
Old 08-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #23759
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

That's really neat, AB!

My cheapo waterproof/snorkelproof watch ripped at the silicon band just above the clasp. My wrist was feeling nekkid without it. I ordered a new one from Amazon, it came today. Even though when I ordered it, it said "women's", I definitely got a man's watch, way too big for my wrist. It's going back.

I love my old crappy cheapo watch, and it's still waterproof, so I had a "eureka" moment. I have a tool for punching holes in leather belts and such, so I punched holes in the separated silicon watchband parts. I plan to reunite them with either really strong waxed thread or black wire. Who cares how it looks, though I might do some beading on it.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #23760
Senior Cook

Angel Flight

I flew a 3 hour mission to fly a heart patient to a special camp.