"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #23811
Senior Cook

Choo Choo

I will be riding in the caboose with a few people who want the experience. The neat part is climbing up to the cupola to look out forward.
I will be there to ensure there safety as a conductor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conductor.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	23256  

Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #23812
Master Chef

I recently saw a special on TV featuring the F&W Railway Co. and thought of you, Souschef! It was within the past 6 months or so. Might have been on the food channel, or maybe it was travel....

Looks like fun, that sure is beautiful country!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #23813
Master Chef

Aren't you a dashing fellow, Souschef!

I am enjoying the bliss that comes from having the house all to yourself. Himself is out playing Astronomer Guy at nearby corn maze (called "maize maze" by our smart-butt son ) with his telescope and his knowledge. A few months ago we went to a dairy farm a friend recommended for their delicious ice cream. She was right. Anyway, it was a slow day and the owner/proprietress was telling us about her theme for the maze this year - the constellations. I *ahem* volunteered Himself to go down there with his telescope (it has a 10" lens and the tripod legs are nearly as big as mine) and share his knowledge. This is his second time there, but I think he'll be a whole lot busier than the last time when the corn maze wasn't open yet. I'm having fun knowing he's enjoying something other than TV.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #23814
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Princess, how has Shrek been taking all this upheaval in your lives? Imagine what it is going to be like when it all quiets down.
He's doing fine. Enjoying rural life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I went outside and sat on the front step, listening to the cicadas, and watching the fireflies and looking at the stars.

Then I heard "clunk clunk". DH locked me out of the house! He CLAIMS he didn't know I was out there. After I bashed on the door, he got a small piece of my mind!
At least you didn't lock YOURSELF out...I locked myself in the garage the other day and had to creep up under the bedroom window and wake Shrek up to let me in.

Quote:
Indeed! I am not happy!

I'm thinking I'm in the mood for a new husband.
All the training, I'm too lazy to train a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I will be riding in the caboose with a few people who want the experience. The neat part is climbing up to the cupola to look out forward.
I will be there to ensure there safety as a conductor
That looks like great fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Aren't you a dashing fellow, Souschef!

I am enjoying the bliss that comes from having the house all to yourself. Himself is out playing Astronomer Guy at nearby corn maze (called "maize maze" by our smart-butt son ) with his telescope and his knowledge. A few months ago we went to a dairy farm a friend recommended for their delicious ice cream. She was right. Anyway, it was a slow day and the owner/proprietress was telling us about her theme for the maze this year - the constellations. I *ahem* volunteered Himself to go down there with his telescope (it has a 10" lens and the tripod legs are nearly as big as mine) and share his knowledge. This is his second time there, but I think he'll be a whole lot busier than the last time when the corn maze wasn't open yet. I'm having fun knowing he's enjoying something other than TV.
Our entire county is a corn maze, there is so much corn growing, completely amaizing to see all the fields.

Ditch corn = corn growing outside the planted rows...to be swiped at your own risk

The house across the alley has pumpkins growing outside their fence, the vines have taken it to the streets and there must be 6 pumpkins coming along...I hope the trash guys don't run over them!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #23815
Honey Badger

Wondering where the Ice Cream man is?
It's been a while since we've seen or heard his truck.

All of us are suspecting the police ran him out of town.The tune he played probably freaked out a lot of parents.I wouldn't have let my kids 10 ft near it.

It went exactly like this really loud. "BOING! like a spring,then a females voice would say "Hello?"

Listen to that all day."Boing!...Hello!"

Yep ran out of town.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #23816
Master Chef

Munky, I'd want to run that outta town, too!

We used to have an ice cream truck, but haven't seen him in a few years. He must have gotten the boot too, or went broke, and that's fine by me and everyone else around here.

I had a hair appointment this morning and then had a little shopping to do. Came home and have been pretty much kicking back the rest of the day.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #23817
Chef Extraordinaire

Our ice cream truck has a young girl. It plays a song and says "Hello!" right in the middle of the song. She only makes one pass each day in these parts.

When my kids were small, the ice cream truck was called Frosty. It even had a special song it played called "Here Comes Frosty!" My kids still can sing the words of that stupid song. And it also cost me a pretty penny. Or should I say dollars!

There were 15 kids in my building alone. Then just about every building had kids in it. I remember we mother sat down and took count of the kids on our block alone. Over 100. Frosty made some serious money from our block alone.

I later learned that one man owned all the ice cream trucks. There were seven trucks running all day throughout Eastie. They stopped at nine at night.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #23818
Master Chef

Munky, it's good thing you don't have to listen to "boing - hello?" in that 101 temperatures. Surely you would run to the truck and drag him from his seat.

Our first home was in a neighborhood littered with "ice cream truck age" kids. Being a cheapskate frugal from way back, I did a little demonstration with my kids. I had already stocked the freezer with a box of each of their favorites, then waited for the music to play. When the truck was at the other end of our block the "please, Mommy" started. I took the required money from my wallet, then pulled the two boxes of treats from the freezer. I pulled out as many individual treats from each box as the money in their grubby little hands was holding would buy. Then I told them they could either have one treat from the ice cream truck, or a whole lot of days of treats from the freezer if I bought them. Since I would cave in to "ice cream truck" only once a week or so, it was No contest! However, just like Pavlov's dog, every time the ice cream truck came around they would head to the freezer.

They did, however, get occasional treats from the ice cream man. They hit up Grandma and Grandpa when they would visit each week.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #23819
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I went outside and sat on the front step, listening to the cicadas, and watching the fireflies and looking at the stars.

Then I heard "clunk clunk". DH locked me out of the house! He CLAIMS he didn't know I was out there. After I bashed on the door, he got a small piece of my mind!
My neighbor came to feed our kitty when we were on vacation. Our townhome is built on the side of a hill, our front door is level with the ground, but our back deck is probably 10-12 feet off the ground with no stairs. He goes out on the back deck and "unlocks" the back door, which he actually ended up locking since we don't usually lock that door. He ended up having to scale down the deck. He's 70, but a very fit 70

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #23820
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My neighbor came to feed our kitty when we were on vacation. Our townhome is built on the side of a hill, our front door is level with the ground, but our back deck is probably 10-12 feet off the ground with no stairs. He goes out on the back deck and "unlocks" the back door, which he actually ended up locking since we don't usually lock that door. He ended up having to scale down the deck. He's 70, but a very fit 70
O mi gosh!!

We just got back from a Mercy Run to Costco in Colorado! I was less than a week away from running out of some of my supplements...besides, I was having severe withdrawal from Rotisserie Chicken. That sure was good!