"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #24081
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I went down, down, down as the flames went higher...

I have always told my Doctor I would probably start smoking again!
I was referring to being cremated.

I will not start smoking cigarettes again, it was too difficult to stop and they are now way to expensive for me to even consider. I need to find an inexpensive vice!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #24082
Senior Cook

I was shocked at how expensive cigarettes are! Someone was asking for a pack at the grocery store and the cashier says, "$7.00!" For one pack?! When DH and I started dating, when he smoked, I'd stop and get him a pack and they were less than a dollar a pack. When did that happen?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #24083
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

DH remembers when they were 65 cents a pack. It's all the taxes and add-ons, local, state, and federal. Tobacco isn't any more expensive, it's like growing wheat.

It's a bad addiction. Both my parents smoked. My dad quit many years before he died, but would always comment that he could pick it up again in a heartbeat.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #24084
Senior Cook

Exactly! I knew it was less than a dollar. I don't know if it is like this everywhere but you can't smoke anywhere out here....restaurants, parks, pretty much just in your own home.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #24085
Chef Extraordinaire

I got you all beat. As a kid, my girlfriend and it would go to the store to buy her father a pack of Chesterfields. He would give her two dimes,, and we would go to the store. Twenty cents a pack. Then when they went to $.23 a pack, if you got them out of a vending machine, you inserted a quarter and the two cents change was on the side of the pack under the cellophane. I always got to keep the two pennies.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #24086
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I got you all beat. As a kid, my girlfriend and it would go to the store to buy her father a pack of Chesterfields. He would give her two dimes,, and we would go to the store. Twenty cents a pack. Then when they went to $.23 a pack, if you got them out of a vending machine, you inserted a quarter and the two cents change was on the side of the pack under the cellophane. I always got to keep the two pennies.
Some of those 1955 pennies were double struck and are now collectors items.

Smoking Pays Off For Collectors
Old 09-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #24087
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Every person in this building that has quit smoking says that everyday they still want a cigarette. If that is true, then why would I want to quit at my age and spend what time I have being miserable? To live longer? I am 76. How long do you want folks to live to? 176? I don't want to live until I become infirmed and feeble. Right now I can still take care of myself, cook my own meals, clean my house and go where I want to. And I can still smoke. My life, my choice. Even my doctors no longer tell me to stop smoking.
I don't want to disappoint my Father. That is strong motivation. The problem now is Shrek has taken up smoking again...makes it quite difficult AND second hand smoke is just as bad as smoking...Every cigarette he has, so do I. Makes me angry.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #24088
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH remembers when they were 65 cents a pack. It's all the taxes and add-ons, local, state, and federal. Tobacco isn't any more expensive, it's like growing wheat.

It's a bad addiction. Both my parents smoked. My dad quit many years before he died, but would always comment that he could pick it up again in a heartbeat.
Demand for cigarettes has gone down a lot over the years, which increases prices. It's not difficult to grow tobacco, but it's not as profitable as it used to be, so growers have converted much of that farmland to other crops, or sold it for development.

I quit smoking in 1990. Haven't wanted a cigarette in many years.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #24089
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Exactly! I knew it was less than a dollar. I don't know if it is like this everywhere but you can't smoke anywhere out here....restaurants, parks, pretty much just in your own home.
Here in Virginia, the heart of tobacco country, you can no longer smoke in public places inside, but you can smoke outside. I hate the smell now.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #24090
Certified Pretend Chef

I can remember paying $3 for a carton and now they are over $10 pack in MA!