"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #24431
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I miss my Mom and Dad every day, too. I guess that's a good thing, since it means I loved spending time with them and doing things together, and now that isn't possible. Although I do still have conversations with them. In my head. Mostly...

To me, "missing" and "grieving" are two completely distinct emotions. I miss my Mom a lot. I miss our kids a lot. I don't grieve for any of them, but I think I can still miss someone I love whether they are living or gone.
I'd sure agree with that CG. I've had my share of "grieving". Grieving goes away after a time but the missing never does.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #24432
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'd sure agree with that CG. I've had my share of "grieving". Grieving goes away after a time but the missing never does.
I "third" that motion. I am no longer grieving; however there are moments where I miss my parents very much. For example, my Dad would be so happy that the Toronto Blue Jays are doing well and we would be watching every game together. I have trouble watching it just because I don't have him to share it with.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #24433
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I miss my Mom and Dad every day, too. I guess that's a good thing, since it means I loved spending time with them and doing things together, and now that isn't possible. Although I do still have conversations with them. In my head. Mostly...

To me, "missing" and "grieving" are two completely distinct emotions. I miss my Mom a lot. I miss our kids a lot. I don't grieve for any of them, but I think I can still miss someone I love whether they are living or gone.
I take your point but, perhaps, missing and grieving are along the same spectrum but separated by degrees of intensity. After all, too miss someone a LOT becomes painful and is surely therefore closer to grieving?
Old 10-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #24434
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Trying to wake up, had a rough night at work and hoping tonight will be different.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #24435
Senior Cook

I'm making spaghetti sauce and watching college football.

Yesterday was the anniversary of my brother passing away. I miss im a lot.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #24436
Certified Pretend Chef

Just made my bed and washed the kitchen and bathroom floors.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #24437
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I take your point but, perhaps, missing and grieving are along the same spectrum but separated by degrees of intensity. After all, too miss someone a LOT becomes painful and is surely therefore closer to grieving?
Maybe a better explanation is grieving is painfully missing the departed every second of every day. When that finally subsides, the grieving is over but the scattered moments of missing are always there. Interesting subject. Both my SousChef and I spent many hours counseling fellow widows/widowers on line. It's how we met.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #24438
Certified Pretend Chef

I see grieving as the pain of losing a loved one. The shock of the loss and its impact on you. Grief would occur at the time of the loss and immediately following.

Missing someone is more of an extended feeling of wanting their presence for interaction.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #24439
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I see grieving as the pain of losing a loved one. The shock of the loss and its impact on you. Grief would occur at the time of the loss and immediately following.

Missing someone is more of an extended feeling of wanting their presence for interaction.
This!
Old 10-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #24440
Master Chef

Just woke up from a nice recliner nap a bit ago. Was supposed to go to Tyler's baseball game at 1, but the ball field is flooded so it was cancelled.

This is a free Cinemax and HBO weekend, so I'm browsing through the guide looking for movies to DVR.