"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #24441
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I see grieving as the pain of losing a loved one. The shock of the loss and its impact on you. Grief would occur at the time of the loss and immediately following.

Missing someone is more of an extended feeling of wanting their presence for interaction.
Yes I agree that missing someone and grief are different. My point is that they are part of the same spectrum and differ along that scale in terms of intensity, grieving occurring (as you say) at the time of loss and immediately following this. The process then gives way to a less painful aspect in relating to the person by way of missing them.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #24442
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Dagnabbit. The Asian ladybugs have returned. A glorious, windy, sunny day, but when I went out to do some more yardwork, they were in my hair, on my legs, all over the outside of the house. Those things bite! They don't sting, but they do cause pain! And if you squish them, they stink. Apparently the soybeans have been harvested, so now they're looking for their winter housing. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to import them so they could take care of the aphid population.

So I'm making soup. Inside.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #24443
Senior Cook

A few years ago I was in Iowa visiting a friend and went into his barn and there must of been 10K of the critters in there dead. I never heard of such a thing. I was also abhorred at the site of all the wind turbines.

I did house work and laundry today and catching up on things left undone.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #24444
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post
A few years ago I was in Iowa visiting a friend and went into his barn and there must of been 10K of the critters in there dead. I never heard of such a thing. I was also abhorred at the site of all the wind turbines.

Yep, Iowa. We have Spring gnat season, Summer mosquito and gnat season, and now Fall Asian ladybug season. No wonder my gardens are overgrown, I can't get out there to work on them!
Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #24445
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post

You abhorred the sight of the wind turbines? Why?
Old 10-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #24446
Master Chef

Man oh man, you have a lot of bug problems there Dawg! I normally like a few ladybugs but those sound nasty! Are they the pretty red and black ones?

I just got home from a TJ run, and getting a hair cut. Actually she cut more than one. Badda Bing...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #24447
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Dagnabbit. The Asian ladybugs have returned. A glorious, windy, sunny day, but when I went out to do some more yardwork, they were in my hair, on my legs, all over the outside of the house. Those things bite! They don't sting, but they do cause pain! And if you squish them, they stink. Apparently the soybeans have been harvested, so now they're looking for their winter housing. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to import them so they could take care of the aphid population.

So I'm making soup. Inside.
Your post reminded me of this old nursery rhyme, another one of the gruesome stories that have been handed down from parent to child for centuries!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #24448
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Man oh man, you have a lot of bug problems there Dawg! I normally like a few ladybugs but those sound nasty! Are they the pretty red and black ones?

I just got home from a TJ run, and getting a hair cut. Actually she cut more than one. Badda Bing...

Life in the country, Kay. These come in all sorts of colors, yellow to red, black spots or not. They're not our pretty native ones, but nasty, vicious imports with a propensity for pinching. One should not mess with Mother Nature, they should have never brought them here.

Aunt Bea!

DH and I were staining the house a few years back. It didn't work, we kept getting pinched by Asian ladybugs. They were not lady-like. Ended up having to hire a guy.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #24449
Master Chef

Now that you mention it Dawg, I wonder who exactly was the idiot who brought pigs to this country only to have the dang things escape and go wild.
Wait...Pigs=bacon. Never mind.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #24450
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'll take bacon over bugs anytime!

Not much bacon on Asian ladybugs, sadly.