"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #24571
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
What am I doing? I'm sitting on my behinder...knitting.

I have been on severe walking restriction the last 5 weeks or so and I am having to find ways to amuse myself. I HATE sitting still for very long, which means this has my wings clipped big time! I'd better get used to it. I still have several months of this ahead of me.

I dearly love to knit and I've been spending a lot of time doing that. Part of two of our granddaughters' Christmas will be knitted layettes for their American Girl Bitty Baby dolls. I've been having a blast making the tiny little outfits and blankets. The two layettes will most likely be done by next weekend...if I drag my feet, um, knitting needles. Then I'll have to find or create something else to fill my boredom time.

I have tons and tons of bits and pieces of scrap yarn that can probably be turned into something neat. I'm just hitting a blank coming up with an idea.

The last time I had this dilemma, I used the yarn to make 100 preemie hats for Vanderbilt's (Nashville) NICU. They were so cute and colorful and I cranked them out like a popcorn popper pops corn. There must be some other place that needs something I can knit or crochet.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #24572
Chef Extraordinaire

I know what you mean, Katie. The neuropathy in my feet keeps me from doing lots of the things I want to do. Maybe I'll take up knitting this year.

I found this page that lists lots of organizations that take knitted and crocheted items for charity: http://www.crochet.org/?page=charity

Old 11-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #24573
Senior Cook

I've gone back to carrying a side arm but think this area safe. I could see it happening in the lower 48 soon.

It's a rainy day so am staying inside and do chores that always need to be done.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #24574
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I know what you mean, Katie. The neuropathy in my feet keeps me from doing lots of the things I want to do. Maybe I'll take up knitting this year.

I found this page that lists lots of organizations that take knitted and crocheted items for charity: Crochet For Charity - Crochet Guild of America (CGOA)
My church has a knitting group that makes things for St. Laurence Ministries. My mom passed away in 2010 and left behind an afgan she was knitting. It wasn't finished, gave it to one of the ladies, and she will see it gets done and to donate.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #24575
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I found this page that lists lots of organizations that take knitted and crocheted items for charity: Crochet For Charity - Crochet Guild of America (CGOA)

Thanks, GotGarlic. Not neuropathy here, just an invasive and complex surgery on my right heel. This, too, shall pass.

I have bookmarked your link and have "grazed" a few of its listed sites. I think I've found a few that will be helpful to me. If for no other reason than to use up all manner of scrap yarn.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #24576
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Thanks, GotGarlic. Not neuropathy here, just an invasive and complex surgery on my right heel. This, too, shall pass.

I have bookmarked your link and have "grazed" a few of its listed sites. I think I've found a few that will be helpful to me. If for no other reason than to use up all manner of scrap yarn.
No, I didn't think it was the same cause. Same effect, though.

I'm glad I could help
Old 11-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #24577
Honey Badger

I'm looking for something to occupy my time today.Just keep moving is the game plan.Great idea Katie.

I'll be the Lil' Knit Whit (SP?) Isle # 1!

Knowing you like to sew, and probably have a great stash of scrap fabric that needs a home as well.
Wouldn't your Granddaughter's love one of these?

Pffft...I'm really partial to the Blueberry one.Just sayin'

And yes I DO need my entire life in a bag!

5 Knit Clutch Patterns
Old 11-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #24578
Chef Extraordinaire

Thursday, one of the residents and myself took a trip into Boston with The Ride. As we were talking to the driver, she was telling us that her wedding gown was too small for her daughter and so she didn't know what to do with it. I suggested that she Google 'newborn outfits from wedding gowns.' There are organizations all across the country that cut up donated white wedding gowns and make burial outfits for stillborn and other babies that don't make it out of the NICU alive. She was so touched by the idea that as soon as she finds the info, she is going to pass it along to the women in her church to donate their gowns also. My RAK for the day.

But we walked so much in town, that when I got home, I hit my bed immediately and spent all day Friday in bed. Today we had planned to go to a large estate sale in the next town over. My right hip wouldn't let me out of bed. I had to call Pirate to get my wheelchair out so I could take care of my personal needs. I swore when I got out of that wheelchair eight years ago, I would never get back into it. Lesson learned. Don't push myself so hard next time. I can now walk around a bit in my apartment, but that is it.

Today we were having "Witches Winds". Those are very strong winds without the rain or other weather related problems. Sun was shining brightly. We were having gusts up to 35 mph. All of a sudden I heard what sounded like the wind of a tornado coming toward the open window. I got up and went to the window to close it and a big board hit it right in the middle of the screen. Scared the living daylights out of me. Then I go in the small room and look at the tree across the street. Just in time to see the whole top of the tree get blown off. Sun still shining. Those folks were lucky it didn't land on their home.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #24579
Senior Cook

Tourist train

Today I worked on the Fillmore & Western train. We had a group of about 100 seniors to go on a murder mystery luncheon. They all seemed to enjoy it. I also took my copilot along to helop. He really enjoyed it too.
We have an Angel Flight scheduled for Tuesday. The fact the sun is setting around 5 PM (not 2 PM) curtails my flying as our airport is not lighted.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #24580
Chef Extraordinaire

Lots to do today, as DH likes to say. I'm getting ready to go to the store and get a few last ingredients to make sauce for lasagna for DH's birthday Saturday. I also need to start a list of things to do before we leave for Michigan Wednesday. My MIL is in the hospital; she's been very sick for a few weeks now and had a stroke-type event while in the hospital. She was moved to the ICU and seemed to be getting better - they were planning to release her to rehab tomorrow - but then she had a setback yesterday. DH is teaching a professional development class Tuesday night, and doesn't feel that he can skip that, so we're going Wednesday.

His dad needs help, too. He had a stroke last year; he recovered well, but he's not eating well. We're going to do some major cooking while we're there - make freezer meals out of whatever ingredients they have (and whatever we need to buy) so he can just thaw and heat. I guess we'll also take the turkey I bought to make stock with. We'll roast it there and leave the leftovers for his dad. Not sure yet how long we'll be gone.