"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #24591
Master Chef

Sending best wishes and prayers for you and your loved ones GG. I know you'll stay strong for all of them in their time of need. You bless yourself by being a blessing to them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #24592
Certified Pretend Chef

Watched the Patriots - Giants game. That was a very competitive game that was resolved by a field goal with one second to play.

Pats are still undefeated @ 9-0.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #24593
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
GG, may I ask, how is DH handling all this bad news? My heart goes out to him. It has to be really rough to have both parents in a bad way just around the holidays. Good luck and take our prayers with you.
Addie, he's a rock - just wonderful. He's worried, of course, but he's doing fine. Thanks for asking.

And thanks, taxy and Kayelle. I appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #24594
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Watched the Patriots - Giants game. That was a very competitive game that was resolved by a field goal with one second to play.

Pats are still undefeated @ 9-0.
They sure made the Pats earn that win!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #24595
Master Chef

GG, sending thoughts and prayers to you for your trip to see MIL tomorrow. Be safe...and hoping for the best. (((hugs)))
Old 11-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #24596
Master Chef

Thank you to those of you who messaged me and asked about my birthday weekend getaway in Death Valley National Park.

It was an amazing weekend, and I'll always remember it. I didn't really know what to expect, so I just overpacked and went with the flow. Instead of staying in the overly spendy Furnace Creek Inn, my daughter rented a nice little rustic cabin for the two of us and the three grandkids (way more kid friendly and none of the silly dress codes) My son in law stayed in their travel trailer in the nearby campground with other family members who were in their travel trailers as well. I was happy to have a real bed. LOL

The first night we all met for dinner fireside at the family's campsite under the stars - my SIL put a candle in my meatloaf and all 20 in attendance there sang happy birthday. Then we went to the concert under the Milky Way to watch my SIL and his family sing and play their music. More concerts the next day, and a little exploring. We went for a covered wagon ride through the park, thanks to a very nice friend of my SIL's and two beautiful strong horses. The grands especially loved that, we all did.

We wanted to stop and have a nice filling afternoon lunch before our trip home but there are only 3 restaurants there, and 2 of them couldn't accommodate our party of 20. The last one we stopped at was just closing to get ready for the dinner rush, but they opened up just for us and then locked the front door. We had the whole place to ourselves with amazing personalized service and a lovely meal.

The drive home was interesting - we got stuck in the middle of an intense sandstorm on that long desolate desert highway and had to stop many times behind my SIL, who was pulling the travel trailer in front of us. Yikes. Couldn't see the road in front of us. Finally made it home safe and sound about 5 hours later than we expected to. I will never forget this past weekend - it was awesome.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! LOL
Old 11-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #24597
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

So glad it worked out for you, Cheryl, and it sure sounds, um, interesting! Welcome back! So happy that you had a phenomenal time with your daughter, SIL, and the grands!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:55 AM   #24598
Master Chef

Thank you, Dawg.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #24599
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sounds like a great weekend Cheryl. I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday. And Happy Birthday.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #24600
Master Chef

Cheryl, it sounds like you have a whole bunch of new family time memories! Glad to hear that you really enjoyed your time.