"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #24611
Senior Cook

Another Angel Flight

It was supposed to be an easy flight- Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, and home. We were sweating the forecast high (40-50 mph) winds, but as forecast, they died down at 5 AM. It was a beautiful calm day that we picked up our patient, (throat cancer) and got him to the lady who would drive him to the UCLA Medical Canter.
I called Kayelle to tell her I was heading home, and she was very concerned about the weather. It turns out the TV weather guessers were reporting high winds all day!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #24612
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
SC, I'm glad the weather changed for the better.

I just finished backing up my old computer to an external hard drive, so I can transfer the data to my new computer. I just wish Firefox sync was working as advertised. It isn't updating the passwords. I guess I'll be spending some time searching help and maybe the user forums. sigh

Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #24613
Master Chef

Thank you so much, ladies.
-------------------------------------------
GG, I'm probably too late but want to wish you a safe journey again, and a happy anniversary to your MIL and FIL.

SC, good to hear you made another flight safe and sound.

I pick up my grandson Tyler from school every day now since his mom got a new job. We have such a good time, and IMO there's no better babysitter than a grandparent. Today was the first day in a week that the weather was nice enough to walk to and from school again. Searching the 'net now for ideas for Christmas treats to make with him after school - he would love to help decorate cookies.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #24614
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you so much, ladies.
-------------------------------------------
GG, I'm probably too late but want to wish you a safe journey again, and a happy anniversary to your MIL and FIL.

SC, good to hear you made another flight safe and sound.

I pick up my grandson Tyler from school every day now since his mom got a new job. We have such a good time, and IMO there's no better babysitter than a grandparent. Today was the first day in a week that the weather was nice enough to walk to and from school again. Searching the 'net now for ideas for Christmas treats to make with him after school - he would love to help decorate cookies.
Cheryl, I used to let my g'daughter use the cookie cutter for the cookies and she really thought and told everyone who ate one, that she made them all by herself. I never corrected her. If she believed it, then it was so. Just like having Santa bringing all the toys. I think you know the trick of using a sandwich bag with a zip lock top as a frosting tube. Just cut the snip off and hand it to the child. I used to let her put the eyes on first, then a smile. And I would never frost any when she was doing hers. I did that once and she was devastated. Mine looked so much prettier than hers. After that I just made the frosting, fixed the bag and made suggestions to what she could put on the cookie next. The reason for the sandwich bag vs. a pastry bag is that the frosting can come out the top too easily from a pastry bag. The zip lock keeps it inside, less mess for the child (and you.)

When it wasn't a holiday, we would make PB cookies. I let her do the criss cross with the fork. To this day they are still her favorite cookie.

I think we all agree that Christmas is for kids. With five kids I found this out as soon as the oldest was about four y.o. It started with her. I put the lights on and any decorations that were going to hang above her ability to reach. If she hung four on one branch, then four stayed where she put them. As the kids came along they each in turn got the bottom branches. And the older ones the upper ones. Once they were all grown enough I still put on the lights and let them have at the tree with the same rules applying. And the bigger kids could not criticize the little kids. Now matter how ugly they thought it looked. All five left home and started their own families. So the day after Thanksgiving I would have all the g,kids over to decorate the tree.

Personally, I didn't care if I put up another tree by then. But it was a chance for the grandkids to all get together for a fun day. The same rules applied. With one additional rule. Any child under five, had to have a parent spend the day with them. All the decorations were made of wood, including the train garlands. When my own kids were small, they were all plastic. After, they all got a half of a Pillsbury roll of Christmas cookies to cut and I would bake them. Then they got to eat them with a cup of hot cocoa. Some years I would have a simple craft for them to do. Simple ones for the little ones, (pages from a Christmas coloring book with plenty of crayons) more difficult ones for the older kids. Fortunately I had a large dining room table and all the kids along with the parents could fit around it. I had to borrow some chairs from the Salvation Army. At the end of the day, not only the kids but myself were totally exhausted. I gave the kids and g,kids (and great, g,kids) some very happy memories for the holidays. To this day, they still mention it when the holidays roll around.

Today I make Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer Candy Canes for the Christmas Party at the church to hand out to the kids for their church party.

I should write a handbook for parents and g,parents on how to create memories for the children that will always stay with them. After more than 30 years of doing this, I have it all down pat. I still believe Christmas is for the kids. The adults have their religious ceremonies to get them through the holidays.

How many times have you said, "Please Dear Lord, keep me from killing these kids today."
Old 11-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #24615
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheryl I forgot. Have fun with your grandson this holiday and really enjoy watching him become soooo excited about Santa coming and all that goes with his idea of Christmas.

That goes for all you grandparents. Let the fun begin!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #24616
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cheryl I forgot. Have fun with your grandson this holiday and really enjoy watching him become soooo excited about Santa coming and all that goes with his idea of Christmas.

That goes for all you grandparents. Let the fun begin!!!
Thank you, Addie. We're all looking forward to the holiday season.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #24617
Head Chef

I have just made a thread on a spiritual forum called
the positive, transforming power that can come from a crisis

I heard one witness in Paris say he saw a woman die in front of him.

It made him vow to be kinder to people....he felt he owed those that died, that much

Old 11-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #24618
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Beautiful flower and lovely sentiment, creative.

DH brought home a rotisserie chicken for lunch yesterday, even though we were getting a lasagna meal later. I de-meated it, and now the carcass is simmering with onion, celery, carrot, and herbs. It's nasty, cold and very windy out, so a good day to make stock.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #24619
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Beautiful flower and lovely sentiment, creative.

DH brought home a rotisserie chicken for lunch yesterday, even though we were getting a lasagna meal later. I de-meated it, and now the carcass is simmering with onion, celery, carrot, and herbs. It's nasty, cold and very windy out, so a good day to make stock.
The very best time to make stock. And it makes the house smell so good.

About a month ago I made a pot of chicken and rice soup. MMMMM! There was about just one bowl left, so into the freezer it went. Pirate took it out yesterday and finished it off. I think that 'second day tastes better' kicked in. He raved about that bowl of soup all day. Time to make another pot of soup for the freezer.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #24620
Master Chef

I cleaned the refrigerator this morning and made room for the turkey, so it can thaw over the next few days.

Made a small pot of split pea soup for lunch.

Now I'm doing some searches looking for inspiration. I'm looking for a couple of simple meals for the days leading up to the holiday feast. Now that it is cold I may make a pot of beans n' greens or Zuppa Toscana to take care of a couple nights and fill in with an omelet or a couple of hot dogs to round things out. I don't want anything too fancy or that involves leftovers in the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

What do you folks usually serve in the days leading up to a major holiday?