"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #24821
Chef Extraordinaire

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
My daughter and SIL left a few minutes ago to take Tyler out for a drive to look at Christmas lights. There are some pretty amazing displays throughout the local neighborhoods. URL]

Just made a batch of Andy's sister's Apple Squares to take to my daughter's tomorrow.

Apple Squares

Definitely a very special treat for any child. My daughter usually takes me up by the Madonna statue to look at all the lights. My sister and I used to go every year in town to see the Boston Common lit up along with all the store windows. I loved seeing them as a kid and I still do. Last year there was just too much snow and too dangerous to climb that icy hill to look down on river and see the cargo ships all lit up along with the rest of East Boston. And this year I have been very sick. I still don't know if I am going to feel well enough to go to my daughter's for dinner. She is serving prime rib of beef. I did manage to bake the cake, but that is as far as I have gotten. The icing is made, but can I have enough energy to finish it?

I lost another five pounds this past week due to being so sick. I am now down to 115. This is losing weight the hard way.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #24822
Master Chef

Just finished watching the Queen's 2015 Christmas message.

Smelling the ham and kielbasa, waiting for noon to arrive!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #24823
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Just finished watching the Queen's 2015 Christmas message...
Who knew!
Old 12-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #24824
Head Chef

Having an emoticon snowball fight...on another forum!

FUN!!!

(Well, maybe not that much fun!)
Old 12-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #24825
Master Chef

We've turned and poked the four ducks in the oven for the second time this morning. Two more pokes and turnings to go before they'll be ready to transport this afternoon for dinner with the family. Sure is smelling good in this house!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #24826
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Getting ready to go to work. I sure hope they are feeding us, I forgot to go to the store.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #24827
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Morning everyone. I hope yesterday was everything you wanted.

My daughter made the mistake of telling everyone that for the very last time she wanted the everyone there to open presents that were under the tree. Well, she got her wish and then some. Friends started to show up around 9:30 a.m. with presents in hand for her family. She was not prepared for this. Everyone wanted breakfast after all the presents were opened. Now there is room for only six people at her table. So a pound of bacon and sausages went into the oven and a dozen of eggs whipped up for scrambled eggs, a loaf of bread toasted and everyone making their own coffee with the Kuerig maker, and everyone got fed. My daughter would make a great side order cook in a diner.

Pirate and I showed up around 2 p.m. Between me, Pirate, her husband and her son's fiancÚ we cleaned up the place and got dinner started for her. Rib roast, mashed potatoes, corn, candied carrots, and I made the gravy. My poor daughter. We sent her off to bed to get some rest. She got up for dinner around five p.m. She had a Ricotta Pie ready, but since I am not a fan of Ricotta, Pirate and I headed home laden down with our gifts. So she ended the day, the way she really wanted to start it. With just her family only.

Needless to say, Pirate and I slept soundly last night. In fact, here it is 9:30 a.m. and he is still sleeping. I have some housework to do.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:02 AM   #24828
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter had planned a birthday dinner tomorrow for Pirate. I have to call her first thing in the morning to inform her that Pirate has a bad case of the flu. Running a high fever, coughing, running nose, vomiting and constant complaining of aching all over his body. Oh yeah, it is such a joy of taking care of him. I a going to dose him up good with medications and go there myself. I will make sure there is plenty of liquids beside his bed before I leave. That is if she is still planning on making the ham dinner. I will bring back a plate for him, but I doubt he will eat any. So I will wrap it up good and put it in the freezer for him.

I feel so bad. This kid has never had anything done for his birthday. On the day of and even a couple of days later. The curse of the Christmas Baby has struck again.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #24829
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Just sitting here thinking of all the little things mom wants me to do around her house before I leave. We had a great Christmas, mom bought us 6 place settings of Fiesta and she's going to buy us two more for our birthdays, what an awesome gift! Rob was just saying that he'd love multicolored Fiesta. I bought mom a roomba and she's named it Trixie. She has a house full of laminate flooring and it did a fantastic job while we were away yesterday. This will help her keep up with the fur ball tumbleweeds...

We did a little Christmas clearance shopping yesterday and I got lots of ornaments and a nice new tree for half price! We left there and went to James island for their drive through festival of lights, it was beautiful!

Back to NC this afternoon, do some laundry and get ready for work tomorrow and new years week. Hopefully after this week we get a reprieve, it's been so busy!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #24830
Certified Pretend Chef

Having a lazy Sunday morning. getting the house back in pre-holiday condition. Taking the leaf out of the table, carrying extra chairs down to the basement, dealing with where to put all our new stuff.

Planning a brunch later this morning. An omelet (green peppers, scallions, mushrooms, cheese) with hash browns and a piece of ribeye I can reheat in a skillet.

Decorations will stay up a little longer. SO's granddaughter is flying up for a visit next weekend so SO will want to keep some decorations up for her.