"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #24841
Master Chef

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Addie!

We're having an exciting day here in our old home state. Doing laundry, eating leftovers. It's a veritable bed of roses! Actually, Goober is home sick with a cold. He wasn't feeling his best yesterday when we set out, and by the end of dinner he was spent. Slept from when we dropped him off until late afternoon today, so he's already a bit better. We should be back together tomorrow or Tuesday. Depends. As in, Depends on whether or not Loverly might need to use our car to get to work tomorrow. *sigh*

No complaints, though. We're "home" and it's cozy.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #24842
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I named my Roomba Rosie after the maid on the Jetsons. I set her off on her cleaning whenever I have to go out. Put the wall up in front of the bathroom door and when I get home she is back in her charger. I am always surprised with just how much she can get.

My daughter had the Fiesta as her preferred present when she got married more than thirty years ago. She still has every piece, including all the service pieces. She used to bring it out for holidays for about ten years, then she packed it away and decided to set a formal table at holiday time. I prefer the Fiesta.
My mom was really surprised all of the nooks and crannies that it found! I'm not a fancy person so the Fiesta will be both my everyday stuff and my "fancy" stuff. How could those bright colors not create a "festive" holiday dinner?

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #24843
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Bakechef....what a great gift from your Mom! I've always LOVED Fiestaware, and have been wanting to treat myself to a set for years now. Maybe someday. Have a nice and safe trip back to NC!
We're home safe! My mom got good prices at Kohl's mixing sales and coupons.

I'm going to miss my very sensible cream colored Crate and Barrel dinnerware, it's been awesome without as much as a chip in 10 years.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #24844
Master Chef

What? You're getting rid of you old dishes??? Save them, store them, bring them out when you want a change. Then again, I'm a dishware hoarder. I have sets of service-for-8, plus a couple other "sets" of four plates and, in one case, just two. If your condo has a basement, find a little corner to use for your boxed Crate and Barrel set. You'll thank yourself for doing that some day.

OH, glad you're home safe, too.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #24845
Master Chef

I love my everyday dinnerware from IKEA. Plain white heavy stoneware. The 11" dinner plates hold a good amount of food, and I like that they have no flat edge border. The salad plates are big, and I especially love the deep bowls. They're perfect for cereal and ice cream, and double as serving bowls for dips etc., at gatherings. Can't beat it at $20 for 18 pieces .

FÄRGRIK 18-piece dinnerware set - IKEA

I also have a set of lighter weight Corelle type dishes (also white), and my grandmother's full set of china, which is packed away. It's a beautiful rose pattern - I need to get it out and use it for special occasions. It was her everyday dinnerware.

I'd love a basic set of colorful Fiesta, and add to it yearly.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #24846
Chef Extraordinaire

Gee, I have a sensible set for four of the Weeping Blue Willow Pattern dishes. Along with a couple of service pieces. I have the regular dinner soup bowls. I should pick up some cereal bowls. I love the pattern, but they are too heavy for me to stack and put back on the shelf all at once. So It is one dish at a time. Or I have Pirate do it for me. I have dinner, luncheon and salad plates. I only keep two of each out. I only use the salad plate to eat from. I can control my servings much easier. The plate looks full with just a small piece of meat, (chicken leg or thigh) small tater and a small helping of meat.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #24847
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What? You're getting rid of you old dishes??? Save them, store them, bring them out when you want a change. Then again, I'm a dishware hoarder. I have sets of service-for-8, plus a couple other "sets" of four plates and, in one case, just two. If your condo has a basement, find a little corner to use for your boxed Crate and Barrel set. You'll thank yourself for doing that some day.

OH, glad you're home safe, too.
No way! I'm going to store them. They are really high quality and you can't get them anymore.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #24848
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I love my everyday dinnerware from IKEA. Plain white heavy stoneware. The 11" dinner plates hold a good amount of food, and I like that they have no flat edge border. The salad plates are big, and I especially love the deep bowls. They're perfect for cereal and ice cream, and double as serving bowls for dips etc., at gatherings. Can't beat it at $20 for 18 pieces .

FÄRGRIK 18-piece dinnerware set - IKEA

I also have a set of lighter weight Corelle type dishes (also white), and my grandmother's full set of china, which is packed away. It's a beautiful rose pattern - I need to get it out and use it for special occasions. It was her everyday dinnerware.

I'd love a basic set of colorful Fiesta, and add to it yearly.
My Crate and Barrel stuff is like that, simple off white with good weight to them, we've gotten many compliments on them. I got the whole set on clearance, still not super cheap, but better than they were. We will be keeping some of the bowls out to use, they are perfect shapes and sizes.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #24849
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
No way! I'm going to store them. They are really high quality and you can't get them anymore.
*Phew!* For a moment there I was afraid you were going to be practical. I could probably open a dishware store IF I ever wanted to get rid of my collection. Which I don't. So they're safe.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #24850
Chef Extraordinaire

I had Spike disconnect my neighbor who wanted to be hooked up to my WiFi. When he first asked me, I was a bit hesitant, but both Pirate and Spike told me anyone could use my WiFi as long as they had the code. He agreed to pay me $20 a month. So Spike hooked him up. About ten days later he handed Spike the $20 in the hallway when he saw him as he was running for the elevator. So in a sense he was ten days late paying me. Next payment comes due and again, he is late. He doesn't even have the decency to knock on my door and tell me he will be late. When you add up all the time he has been using it without paying me in a timely manner, he has had a free month.

If I am late paying my bill, Comcast does not chase me. They just shut me off. And then charge me a fee to turn it back on. I am not a charity and I refuse to chase him for money that he owes. He can pay what he probably owes Comcast.

He has been a source of trouble ever since he moved in the building. He has a dog and told management that it was a service dog. Then he changed his story when he got caught in a lie because he couldn't produce a jacket for the dog labeled "Service Animal." Then it was his daughter's dog, but she couldn't keep it as she developed allergies to the dog. Now he tells us that it is a rescue dog. Considering the dog's behavior, that seem more likely. The dog has a bad case of separation anxiety. The owner leaves in the morning and the dog barks all day loooong. For ten hours straight!!! After two days of that, management told him the dog has to go. So now he supposedly brings the dog to his daughter's house. Hmmm! Didn't she develop allergies to the dog?

This man is a liar and owes the world money. A real con artist. But he is not my problem anymore.