"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #24861
Head Chef

Just watched the London New Year's Eve firework display...on TV (best place with the current terrorist alert situation!) I found it very impressive.

I see that, despite the hotel fire in Dubai, that they managed to put on their firework display at the nearby tallest building. The show must go on....

Old 01-01-2016, 01:39 AM   #24862
Wine Guy

Well, I made it to midnight. I watched 2 minutes of the Ryan Seacrest thing, realized I didn't know the names of any of the people standing on the stage with him, and switched over to watch "Minions" on Amazon.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #24863
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Being the party animals we are, we fell asleep before 10 while watching the latest "Ice Age" installation.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #24864
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We were watching "Antman" at midnight. Ended a couple minutes later and I headed to bed.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #24865
Master Chef

I hit the hay at 7:00pm and the new year was waiting for me when I woke up at 3:00am!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #24866
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I have just been looking at how different our traditions are...some are astonishing, interesting and/or amusing

New Year’s traditions around the world

Anyone want to celebrate like Estonia next year? (No. 3)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #24867
Master Chef

Interesting link, creative, thanks for sharing! I saved it to look at more a little later.

I fell asleep in the recliner somewhere around 11:00, and was woken up at midnight by fireworks somewhere nearby. Got up and went to bed.

Fixin' to fry up some corn tortilla triangles, the dip will be a hot layered dip of refried beans, salsa, sour cream, a few different cheeses, and topped with chopped scallions. My brother will be here around noon, and we'll enjoy our chili and tamale dinner around 2ish. I made the jalapeno cheddar corn muffins yesterday evening.

I looked around for TV marathons to amuse us while we eat and chat - so far I've found the usual 'Twilight Zone' on SYFY, 'Gold Rush' on Discovery, and 'Counting Cars' on the History Channel. Bro restores old cars, so I know he'll enjoy the cars one. (Just not for very long, or I'm stealing the remote back) Neither of us are into sports. I'm watching the Rose Parade now while I'm having my coffee.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #24868
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Got my etouffé going, will be doing some laundry and just relaxing. Planning a trip to the city tomorrow for some grocery shopping. Also need a sheet of 1/4" plywood for the back of a cabinet I want to use as a pantry. Looking at ceiling lights...
Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #24869
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

DH went out with one of his boyfriends to watch our beloved Hawkeyes play in the Rose Bowl! Apparently they're not doing so well. Had an exemplary season, but as DH explained to me ad infinitum (meaning I really didn't care) apparently the Hawks played really bad teams, which was why they were 35-1 or something like that.

I'm kicking back.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #24870
Master Chef

Gosh are we the only ones who watched the Rose Parade today? I've always loved watching it here at 8 AM live. Spending my whole life in this area, I've never been there in person, but one year we went down to see the beautiful floats parked where we could inspect them for days after the parade.

We've had a lazy day today with me watching old movies by dead people. Love really old movies on Turner Movie Classics. Today it was 1937 "Stage Door".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote