"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #24901
Assistant Cook

Man, you guys have some nice historical pieces. I love the Victorian era. They loved worldly décor and its neat to see the way they incorporated it into their homes. My mother has a similar lamp that is inspired by Egypt.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #24902
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleMarie View Post
Man, you guys have some nice historical pieces. I love the Victorian era. They loved worldly décor and its neat to see the way they incorporated it into their homes. My mother has a similar lamp that is inspired by Egypt.
MM, living out west like you and I do, good antiques are hard to come by in these parts, being as the good stuff brought out here by covered wagon got left on the plains. How hard it must have been to just leave treasured heirlooms behind in the dust. How glad I am they came. The history of it all is my favorite reading subject.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #24903
Master Chef

GG and Kayelle, your homes look like show homes. Lovely! Mine isn't a wreck, but you can definitely tell I'd rather cook than clean. A lot of our furnishings are near-antiques, though. As in, old and handed-down. Sorta "comfy chic" without the "chic".
Old 01-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #24904
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
MM, living out west like you and I do, good antiques are hard to come by in these parts, being as the good stuff brought out here by covered wagon got left on the plains. How hard it must have been to just leave treasured heirlooms behind in the dust. How glad I am they came. The history of it all is my favorite reading subject.
Mine too. The history of all things domestic is my thing: daily life, food, housing, fads, employment, social structure and values - so fascinating.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #24905
Assistant Cook

lol, cooking goddess. "'comfy chic' without the 'chic'" :P That's my home too, only my junk isn't even loved enough to be handed down, lol.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #24906
Master Chef

Glad you like that line, Michelle. We have a lot of furniture that had been my parents', or my aunt and uncle's. Even our "new stuff", in many cases, was purchased when we moved into our previous house...in 1991.

I'm about to rip a rotisserie chicken apart, and clean and chop celery and carrots, in order to get a head start making a pot of chicken/veggie/noodle soup. Goober is almost done with his cold, so I want to smack it down completely. Meanwhile, most of the soup will be ready for Loverly when she comes home from running boatloads of errands tomorrow, and some for us when we get back from seeing our son. Monday will be cook's day off, since it will be our last day in town. We'll go somewhere - I was lobbying for the Cleveland Museum of Art until I checked their website. It's closed on Mondays. Guess I'll have to come up with another idea while I attack the chicken.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #24907
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm watching "Worst Cooks in America." Totally mindless but freaking hilarious.

"I put baby oil in my chicken to lubricate the esophagus... "
Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #24908
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm watching "Worst Cooks in America." Totally mindless but freaking hilarious.

"I put baby oil in my chicken to lubricate the esophagus... "
stupidity is becoming an epidemic.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #24909
Chef Extraordinaire

I finally finished basting the 10+ pairs of jeans and slacks my friend pinned for me in November. The reason I basted them was to try them on again. I had to make adjustments to make them fit...shrunk a bit more...grr...tomorrow I will fire up the serger and get them done...I didn't want to cut the excess off with the serger until I checked the fit, just incase I had gained weight. Saturday, my favourite skirts are getting pinned. I have learned how to make things that are too big fit. Duh, never thought of that.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #24910
Master Chef

I'm settling in to watching the first episode of the last season of Downton Abbey. Thankfully, the SC is a fan too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote