"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #24971
Executive Chef

It was a snow day here. We have about 14 inches on the ground. I went cross country skiing this morning with my sister and two other residents here. A park surrounds our community development so it is a matter of going out our front doors and taking off. Then went snow shoeing over the same terrain with DH.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #24972
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What do you use to steam clean?
This one. http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Multi...=steam+cleaner

My youngest son bought be this for xmas. He said he didn't want me using harsh chemicals like ammonia and such to clean house.

When I saw this, didn't think it would do that great of a job.
Boy was I ever wrong. For such a small appliance it's done a great job without all that scrubbing. All I did was steam and wipe it down.

I've already used it for the oven,stove top grates. Cleaning disgusting mold off of the bathroom window.Tiles in the bathroom. Fixtures.

I really like how fresh the house smells after I finish a project.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #24973
Certified Cake Maniac

Munky, that is awesome! Can you regulate the amount of steam? If not, is it really strong and hot?

I ask because I have been looking for a steamer I can use on my cakes and this looks perfect. Steam can smooth and shine fondant but you have to be very careful that you don't melt it.

I also think it would help me with cleaning!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #24974
Certified Pretend Chef

Interesting. After spraying you just wipe up the dirt and water and you're done?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #24975
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hm. I have a couple of garment steamers, might work too.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #24976
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Munky, that is awesome! Can you regulate the amount of steam? If not, is it really strong and hot?

I ask because I have been looking for a steamer I can use on my cakes and this looks perfect. Steam can smooth and shine fondant but you have to be very careful that you don't melt it.

I also think it would help me with cleaning!
No you can't regulate the steam. It gets hot. Seems to me depending on what attachment your using, how strong or close you apply the heat that's going to be the outcome.

For instance the window I was working on had a corner that needed some steam cleaning, but not alot. I used the longer hose cone adapter. It had a kinder steam. I tested it on a gloss painted wall to. The paint didn't peel. Like I'd care anyways. I was just testing it out. It did a better cleaning job than any other method I've ever used to wipe down walls.

Btw. One wall we had in particular had masking tape glue stuck to it. I had that section of wall clean and unglued in less that an hour.

Wish I had had this steamer when my sons were younger teaching them how to write starting with stick letters. I gave him paper. Left the room for 2 minutes tops and came back to see the letters ( K,I,L,M) all over my wall. He decided he needed a bigger canvas with a CRAYON!
OMG!!!! He was so lucky to be 3 at the time.

It will remove crayon marks. Little late for me. But hey if it helps anyone around here, I'm alright with that.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #24977
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Interesting. After spraying you just wipe up the dirt and water and you're done?
Yes. Isn't that cool?

When you do the windows you steam and use the squeegee attachment. (sp) It's a really tough plastic tool. Worked better for me going left to right then just a straight down motion. Had a paper towel at the bottom sill. To tap it when I was done. It looked like a professional was called in to do it.

If you guys want maybe my photographer can take pics for me.
Just getting started on the kitchen window. It's a pain in the....
to clean. We'll see just how well it tackles this window.

I believe it was rated one of the best hand held steamers of 2015.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #24978
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
This one. Amazon.com - Handheld Multi-purpose Pressurized Steam Cleaner for stain removal, curtains, crevasses, bed bug control, car seats and more -

My youngest son bought be this for xmas. He said he didn't want me using harsh chemicals like ammonia and such to clean house.

When I saw this, didn't think it would do that great of a job.
Boy was I ever wrong. For such a small appliance it's done a great job without all that scrubbing. All I did was steam and wipe it down.

I've already used it for the oven,stove top grates. Cleaning disgusting mold off of the bathroom window.Tiles in the bathroom. Fixtures.

I really like how fresh the house smells after I finish a project.
Have you used it for getting wrinkles out of clothes yet?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #24979
Master Chef

Daughters and I (actually daughters) threw together a last minute trip tomorrow to go to Knott's Berry Farm. I just threw a few things in a bag, and set the alarm for 5:30AM to be on the road by 7. The grandsons are going to love Camp Snoopy!

https://www.knotts.com/%20knott-s-summer/camp-snoopy

They also have a fabulous marketplace with all kinds of jams, jellies, salsas, etc. for us big kids. It'll be a long day, but fun.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #24980
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds like a blast, Cheryl! Have fun! I'd love to go with, but the plane wouldn't make it there on time.